1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Our starting corners in 2012

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by PDXsooner, Feb 22, 2012.

1. PDXsooner

PDXsooner Formerly OregonSooner

So Demontre Hurst should hold it down on one side, but who will start on the other side? Didn't we sign a Juco corner?

I know we won't know until after spring, but who do we think will start and more importantly, how good will our corners be?

2. Widescreen

Widescreen SoonerFans.com Elite Member

This is a good question. However, I'm more concerned about how good our DT's will be. If they're good, our CB's don't have to be quite so good.

3. PDXsooner

Walker and mcFarland are back, correct? I just hope we have someone better than Gabe Lynn. I'm sure he's a nice guy, I just hope there are things he does better in life than play D1 corner...

4. OU_Sooners75

OU_Sooners75 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Well, I would think the corners would be:

Aaron Colvin and Demontre Hurst with Tony Jefferson and Javon Harris being our Safeties.

At least that will be what we should see in Spring.

We did sign Kasseim Everrett (JUCO Transfer) since he is aleady on campus. He is a natural CB

Don't be surprised if we see a lot from Okotcha Bennett (RS Freshman) either. Some good news coming from Rivals about this kid.

5. PDXsooner

What's the story with Colvin? Didn't he play a little CB this year? How did he play?

6. OU_Sooners75

Our DTs will actually be a strength this coming year...or should be anyway. The two Jordan's, Phillips and Wade, have a lot of upside. But the better deal is we lost none of our DTs from last year.

The only reason DTs looked bad last year was because they were forced to play a position (nose guard) that they are not natural at. How Mike Stoops runs a 4 front defense 99.9999% of the time, the DTs should be a lot better this coming year.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  7. OU_Sooners75

Colvin is up in the Air at CB. It will depend on how good Kass Everrett really is. If he is as good as advertised then Colvin will play his natural position of Safety.

And knowing how Mike Stoops like using a nickel back more than not, Tony Jefferson could play the Roy Backer (Nickel Back). Putting 5 DBs (which will be key in conference play) in. So you could see Everrett and Hurst at CBs. Colvin and Harris at Safeties with Jefferson at NB.

Again this depends on how well Everrett picks things up.

8. LVSOONER15

LVSOONER15 Getting it done

Sounds about right. Thanks

9. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

I think Colvin ends up back at safety and Everett takes over at corner with Hurst. I think Jefferson is much more effective closer to the ball, and I think that's where he'll end up. Here's my starting D:

S: Colvin
    S: Harris
    CB: Hurst
    CB: Everett

SLB: Jefferson
    MLB: Wort
    WLB: Co. Nelson

DE: King / Ch. Nelson
    DE: Washington / Ch. Nelson
    DT: Walker
    DT: McFarland

This all depends on how Kass looks before the season starts. If this is, in fact, our starting defense, it looks better than last years starting defense (minus our ends).

My biggest concern with the defense is going to be the loss of arguably the best DE tandem we've had under Stoops. Both King and Washington looked good at times last year, but they'll have to step up their game to fill the shoes of Lewis and Alexander. The addition of Chaz Nelson could make that a lot easier. I think he's going to play a big role in any success this defensive unit has.

10. goingoneight

goingoneight I said Biiiiiiiitch--

We need an emergence at DE. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised by King and Washington this year, but I have as much faith in them as I do in Trey Franks at WR. A couple good plays and a lot of otherwise quiet time when they've been given lots of chances before is a scary thing to put your faith in.
    Having said that, Manny Johnson, Quentin Chaney and Brian Jackson flipped the switch late in their careers. So did Jamelle Fleming and Jonathan Nelson, really.

11. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

We lose at least two games if Javon and Lynn have significant playing time. Sad, but true.

Hope there are major improvements.

12. starclassic tama

starclassic tama New Member

i thought jefferson looked great, like a natural safety against OSU and iowa. he is an aggressive player, but it seems when he is playing up close to the line he goes long periods of time without being heard from..

13. OU_Sooners75

You do not have to be heard from to be effective.

14. OU_Sooners75

Flemming plyed pretty darn good his two years in Norman.

That said, I would love to see a dominant DE, but I would love to see more DTs that can control the LOS.

If our DTs can control the LOS, we will dominant a lot more games than we dont.

I think Washington and King will be great this year. It seems like every year we always have a DE or two that comes along and just surprised us.

When we lost Beal, we all were wondering who would take over his shadow, and it was Frank Alexander. Now that he is gone, who will take over his shadow? More than likely Washington. But don't sit on Grissom either.

15. oudavid1

oudavid1 @DavidLeake

I said a while back....Bennett Okotcha.

16. 8timechamps

He didn't get heard from, but he was very effective. When teams have to game plan around a player, then he's effective. I think there were several game that TJ didn't post all-world numbers, but made the offense play away from him. He is a natural safety, and can play that position as well as anyone on the team, but I think his game-changing ability is better suited closer to the ball. He's played DE, LB and S...so he's deadly from just about any position on the field.

17. 8timechamps

I don't think we have to worry much about Lynn seeing a lot of playing time (although, I think he's better than he showed last year, specifically against Tech). I like Javon. The problem was he had to try and compensate for help in the secondary. I think under Stoops simplified plan, a guy like Harris could become an animal.

18. 8timechamps

Chaz Nelson. This kid has come in under the radar, but may very well be the best recruit we landed (in terms of immediate impact). It wouldn't surprise me at all if he earns a starting DE spot by the opening week.

19. Soonerman08

Soonerman08 New Member

Apart from what was previously said, sounded like Mike was going to experiment with the secondary. He sounded like his first crack was Jefferson and Colvin at safety, and as for corner opposite Hurst it was a toss-up. Ibiloye was likely to be the first go at NB, but who knows come fall where everyone will be?

20. VA Sooner

VA Sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Heard the new JUCO kid is a stud... wouldn't mind seeing a 5 DB lineup.

More concerned about the DTs as well... don't have an all-world DT like McCoy or Harris. McFarland is very good and it's good to have veterans back but want to see what the new recruits bring to the table, especially with a rotation in the mix to rest them when we can.