1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OU womens basketball chatter

Discussion in 'Sooner Basketball' started by badger, Oct 18, 2011.

1. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

No idea :D

Just stay here. We need more basketball fans around here to balance the footballfootballfootball we usually talk about non-stop.

2. Lott's Bandana

Lott's Bandana SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I just switched to Safari. Not my favorite but it works.

Firefox has gotten to where there have been several sites recently that it simply won't open. Or, an obvious link doesn't work at all. One of these sites is where I store and sell my photographs from. Can't have that not working.

I open Safari and these sites work just fine.

3. BlackwellSooner

BlackwellSooner New Member

You can download and install more than one browser at a time, can't you? For example, I could download and install Safari without uninstalling Firefox, right? That way, I could see if it was Firefox, on my machine.

4. Chuck Bao

Chuck Bao SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Good to see (actually read about) the win on the road vs Kansas tonight. Hopefully, OU will be ranked next week after settling the score with OSU on Saturday and moving into a tie for 2nd place in conference. I'm looking forward to Saturday's bedlam matchup There will be at least 6 from my family going and we are planning to be loud.

Someone please, please, please tell me that Joanna McFarland will be back this Saturday. I would like nothing better than to see her break a few jaws after what the cowpoke girls did to her in Stillwater.

5. Lott's Bandana

Lott's Bandana SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Absolutely.

Some people also like Opera and Google Chrome. You can run all of them and decide.

6. badger

Lo-def TVs tend to make the players numbers and faces et al blur together, so let me take you through the final two minutes of last night once again:

65-68

We are soooo doomed. KU hit a buzzer beater at the end of the first half, KU hit the game-tying three at the end of regulation and now we are once again playing from behind and haven't hit threes most of the game... HOOK FOR TWO AND A FOUL SHOT COMING UP!

67-68

Hook misses the free throw and KU is charging down the court. We can't afford to just be exchanging buckets at this point. Arrrrrgh... KU STEPPED OUTTA BOUNDS?!?! How did we not foul her? Sweet!

67-68

A few wasted possessions by OU and KU and then OU has the ball back. The shot clock is winding down... please don't travel or turn the ball over, Sooners... Hook is trapped at the baseline and finds a wide open Sharane at the three point line, but we've only made one three all night... SHARANE CAMPBELL FOR THREE!!!! OU LEADS!!!!!

70-68

We all know how this is gonna turn out, don't we? The refs are gonna call some BS foul to keep KU in this game, we are gonna lose or even worse, drag this game even farther out by going to overtime... SHARANE CAMPBELL BLOCKED KU's SHOT!!!!!!!

70-68

KU drops back on defense... wait, they do see the clock, don't we? KU only has one defender back trying to get the ball from OU after the block... Whitney passes to Morgan... Morgan passes to Jelina (NOOOO! She's less than a 50 percent free throw shooter),... Jelina quickly passes to Sharane... KU coaches are frantically waving their arms and screaming for someone to get back on the other side of the court and foul someone to stop the clock! Whitney nearly lobs it to the other side to Morgan when she is fouled. KU just wasted about 25 seconds of precious game clock with our little game of keep-away. About 13-15 seconds left in overtime. Timeout, KU.

70-68

Whitney sinks the first free throw. Another timeout.

71-68

Whitney sinks another free throw, but this time, we are not gonna let up on defense.

72-68

KU misses a desperation two (because we are guarding the three so well) and Sharane Campbell rebounds, wisely holding the ball. She sinks both free throws.

74-68

In case you didn't know, Sharane Campbell, with 24 points and 4 steals, is definitely player of the game. Sherri?

Speaking of Sherri, I have not seen her this frustrated since 2005, the year we NEARLY also didn't make the postseason (but did, because we have a Kelvinesque March Madness streak going on). She looked like she wanted to scream, to cry, to rip her hair out, to strangle the officials, you name it.

Also of note:

Whitney Hand played the entire game: Overtime and regulation, 45 minutes. Didn't seem to be shooting that well, but did get 16 points.

Kay Kay started: Jaw-anna McFarland is still out, yes, but Kaylon Williams is an awesome freshman, finishing with 8 points and 10 rebounds.

Foul trouble everywhere: In the first half, Nicole picked up two quick fouls and was benched. Kay Kay picked up her second and was benched. Jelina picked up her second foul and... sorry Jelina, we are kind of struggling right now. Please don't get any more fouls this half. Due to big girl foul trouble, Jacqueline Jeffcoat actually made an appearance last night, playing 4 minutes in the second half. Also, the reffing was inconsistent and sucky for both teams... does that make it consistent if it's sucky for both teams? NO!

Vegas woes: Her shot is still off, methinks it's still taped due to injury. She missed six shots and only had a point from a free throw.

Threes? What threes?!: We shot 2 for 10 from three the entire game, overtime included. However, when we hit them, we really needed them. The second one by Sharane (the only one she shot all night) was what gave us the lead in overtime.

This was, by far, the most frustrating win I've ever witnessed in my fandom time. I've seen frustrating games, yes, but not frustrating wins. Without the W, lump this into every game we've every played against Stanford, that Baylor blowout we had last week, and that Ole Miss tourney game where we were highly favored and they ran circles around us and the Paris twins :mad:

On a final Sherri note:

Also of note, this is OU's 15th-straight win over KU, and makes KU's coach 0-9 against OU.

Next game: 12 noon Saturday against OSU at home.

Boomer!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  7. badger

One day left, people.

If for no other reason than I don't want psycho Poke fans to facebook/twitter/life stalk me when they are in the slightest bit offended over anything, I am ready to not be orange anymore. For the past three major OU-OSU meetings, the games have been in Stillwater. This includes December's football game (argh), the men's basketball game (double argh) and the women's game (triple bypass surgery ARGH!!!!!!!!!!).

So finally, we are gonna be in Norman, so I can automatically assume that will equal a win. Because losing in Norman is only allowed when you're playing Baylor... or Tech in football following a huge weather delay :mad:

All of this time being orange has helped me appreciate several things about the Pokes, so here goes:

1- Fandom is determined based on post counts, game attendance and donor spending. I know life must be very rough when your men's team is consistently in the postseason and you feel the need to verify to the world why your opinion matters on the Internet, but GET OVER YOURSELVES.

2- Jokes about flying are reasons to ruin people's lives. What keeps me sane here when people disagree, insult, spew hate or the like on the Internet is that it reflects poorly on them and that I'm not gonna sink to their level (except in jest, of course). If you are offended, remember that it's the Internet and the Internet is forever, so don't be forever linked without something ignorant and hateful and GET OVER YOURSELVES.

3- I just cannot emphasize this enough, GET OVER IT, GET OVER IT, GET OVER IT. When Stanford's band insults our great state, GET OVER IT. When a ref calls your field goal bad and you think there's a big BCS conspiracy against you, GET OVER IT. When other fanbases/media/etc do not "eat crow" or acknowledge your team's greatness to the extent that your fanbase does, GET OVER IT.

Ahhhh... I needed to get that off my chest. :)

Thank you for putting up with that rant. We are totally beating OSU tomorrow and if not... oh man... hate to think about that...

WAR PAINT PHOTO!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

8. badger

Wow, is there a game tonite already? Yes, and it's already on vBookie, so predict whether we'll lose by more than 20 or less than 20.

Also, thank you so much to Sheri and the Sooners for taking me outta avatar hell. Three straight games in Stillwater in major sports tends to give the Pokes an unfair advantage, so it would make sense that as soon as a game gets to Norman that Barry Switzer is putting on his Billy Sims afro and shouting LOL at the world.

"Wait, did you just say that OU will lose by more than 20 possibly?!"
    [​IMG]
    Yes, possibly. I mean, we did just lose to this opponent by more than 30 at home. Hope is fleeting, even for the most diehard OU fans with this game.

"Come on, give us a chance."
    [​IMG]
    OK. If we shoot threes really really well, don't bonk free throws and play solid defense against ALL of their primary scorers and not just one, we will win.

"I'm gonna jump up and down and throw a hissy fit till you give us more chances to win!"
    [​IMG]
    OK... if our opponent misses tons of shots, gets called for tons of fouls and can't rebound worth shizzle, we win also... so long as we don't do the exactly same thing back.

"What is this, some kind of ranked opponent like KU? We just beat them last week, you know."
    [​IMG]
    This opponent is sooooo ranked that they also beat KU... by nearly 30.

"OK, I give up. Who are we playing tonight?"
    [​IMG]
    Let's just say I really don't like them. I have pretty much lost all semblance of respect for them and would love it if it they lost every game from here to eternity, not just the one against us and I giggle every time they lose... which means there hasn't been any giggling this year at all. Sad badger.

"WHO?!?!??!"
    [​IMG]
    A recent survey suggests nobody gives a "rat's a$$."

"Oh... is it by any chance..."
    [​IMG]
    (thank you soonerpsycho!)

BEAT BAYLOR!!!!!

And hate green!

[​IMG]

9. badger

Eff last night's game. I don't like that program, from its coaches to its players.

But... their fans! They are a spirited bunch. I like that we and Baylor both have fans that care about womens basketball (although if you are looking for the internet fans, you'll have to go to that other board, hehe) enough to attend games en masse, wear pepto bismol pink and get grouchy over any calls that go against your team (even if they're quite obvious!).

So... skipping my evaluation of the game (In a nutshell, we got called for tons of fouls and made virtually NO SHOTS in the second half. THE END), let's just evaluate their fandom:

Link

In my personal defense, I've been trying to find some way to get excited about every game, and in this case, I took the most notorious cases of Baylor/Skeletor rage and put them in a single post. When I bashing Kansas, I was trash talking the Wizard of Oz. While bashing OSU, I was... hmmm... I think I was telling them to stop being offended and silly Internet crap. A good message to any Baylor fans that take offense to this!

I wish we could have gotten more Final Fours, more Big 12 titles and even one championship for Courtney Paris and the rest of the Sooners. But, it was still a very fun time to be a Sooner fan during the Paris twin era and I hope they would say the same about playing at OU. It was about that time when students starting showing up more to the games, just to see how good CP3 really was... I imagine Baylor's noticed the same thing after they got Britney Griner.

I'm glad they're catching on that it's not something to be taken seriously. I could give a serious evaluation of this "rivalry" and point out the numerous times we've swept them, the times we've stolen the Big 12 crown from them, the fact that we have one more Final Four appearance than them (although yes, you have the national title, congrats and all), but instead, as you can see in my above post... "HATE GREEN." lol.

Ever notice when Baylor gets any semblance of success they sound a bit more... well, Texan? Guess that makes sense. However, the other Texas schools usually don't resort to this state stereotype crap unless they're losing... so I guess Baylor is in limbo right now.

I just wanted to share that comment with all of you so you could laugh too.

If it ever comes up again, CP3 did offer to pay it back and OU flat-out refused to accept any repayment at all, because of the way she elevated the program (and she did, as we've been to a Final Four and Sweet 16 since her departure).

When a program dominates the game and their conference like Rocky Top or UConn, then we'll talk about envy and jealousy. Till then, quite happy with where we are, even if we're not the ones beating opponents by 30ish right now.

So anyways, our next game is 2 p.m. Saturday hosting Mizzou. I fully expect to win (check out vBookie for details!). Congrats to the three who predicted Joanna's triumphant return! Quite a trooper, being out there with a mask against the top team in the country. Hope she keeps getting healed and doesn't re-injure, because we'll need her to make the tourney.

Boomer!

10. NMSooner'80

NMSooner'80 Member

On to the Mizzou home game tomorrow!

11. badger

Right... of course :)

There are many reasons to hate the state of Missouri. This site lists many of them.

But, since this is primarily a sports message board, let us stick to sports-specific reasons to hate on the misery that is known as Misery:

1- They, not Texas, are the reason the Big 12 fell apart.

Remember when they thought they were good enough to go to the Big Ten? Link here. Their governor has a big mouth, big enough to stick several feet inside:

And then, the Big Ten was like "Hi Nebraska" so then Gov. Nixon (who, if it matters, is a Democrat) decides to open his yapper again. Link

Mizzou courts the Big Ten AGAIN. Once again, the Big Ten DOES NOT WANT THEM. Link again.

But fortunately for the stray cats, the SEC is an animal shelter, taking in the weirdest of the weird critters that need a home, whether they be chickens running around with their heads cut off (or whatever the hell a "gamecock" is) or pigs that have mysteriously sprouted buck teeth from years of not going to the dentist... and the school those pigs from Arkansas attend, also.

So congratulations, Misery Tiggers. Bounce-bounce-bounce your way away from the Hundred Acre Woods and onto... a 0-11 start to your conference season!!!!!!

[​IMG]

How in the hell did this happen, Mizzou. Let's check their athletic site... "Cyclones Earn Win over Tigers, 65-52?!" Are you serious?! Is THAT what being an AAU member does to a site designed for fans of your program?! EARN?!?!?!

Eff whatever we had up for our last game. We should have said something Mizzou-like, such as "Lady Bears earn another win over our beloved Sooners"

Better yet, "Skeletor earns technical, recognized as basketball's biggest beyonce" :p

I am not making this stuff up, people. Mizzou's page is right here.

Why was I visiting their site anyway? Oh...right.. the losing thing. Here's how they became 0-11:

Baylor 90, Mizzou 46
    No word yet on whether Mizzou's divorce from the Big 12 has Skeletor as huffy as she is over Texas A&M's divorce. Ewww, plural marriage...

Texas Tech 63, Mizzou 60
    Back when Tech was still undefeated. We ended that, then the rest of the Big 12 continued it and now Tech isn't ranked at all. Cheer up, Tech. We totally understand that fall-from-rankings sadness.

KSU 76, Mizzou 42
    Who really knows who is good and who isn't in the Big 12. I can't really say "we beat them so they suck," because we are beating everyone except the ranked opponents, and they are sometimes only unranked because we beat them. Gaaahhh, I hate being labeled a "key loss" when they talk about tourney auto bids. :(

KU 72, Mizzou 63
    It's not like they only put up a fight against us. It's just that their fightingness is not fighty enough.

A&M 78, Mizzou 52
    No word if the 20 fans in attendance were chanting S-E-C! S-E-C! or not.

OSU 62, Mizzou 58
    This makes me feel better, that we were not the only ones to break their homecourt hearts when they thought victory was theirs... oh wait, they are traitorous bastards that we want to rot in SEC hell. :p

Whorn 75, Mizzou 58
    Mizzou probably spent the entire game begging DeLoss Dodds to reconsider Big Ten membership so that they could beg the Big Ten to be number 14. DeLoss is like "Why am I even here? We have a women's athletic director for a reason? Where the lady that hired Gail G for millions more than necessary? Why did we do that again? Wait a second, I don't care..."

OU 62, Mizzou 59
    Somewhere on this blog is a photo of Mizzou's bench celebrating in the closing seconds, thinking that the losing streak that started when conference play did was finally over. Victory is mine! Not yours! MINE! Here it is:
    [​IMG]

Baylor 71, Mizzou 41
    The good news is that everyone inked this in as a loss even if you weren't sucking.

Tech 76, Mizzou 49
    You're not even trying anymore, are you? Your hearts are broken, your will is defeated and your energy is spent. And we also already spent your Big 12 exit fees, so please don't stop payment on the check.

ISU 65, Mizzou 42
    If you couldn't beat the second-worst Big 12 team at home, you probably have little chance in Ames. Sorry.

OU 100, Mizzou 24
    Joanna McFarland breaks out an even more badarse jaw protecting facemask and scores 30 before Sherri's like "OK, 4 minutes is enough playing time for you" and she sends in freshman standout Kay Kay Williams, who promptly picks up three fouls and is sent to the bench, but not before rebounding the ball 20 times, all off of Aaryn "Vegas" Ellenberg three-point misses (Mizzou didn't guard either of them because they were too busy learning to spell "SEC"). Whitney Hand to the rescue, who steals every time Mizzou attempts to inbound the ball and scores easy lay-ups, unless she finds a teammate with an even easier layup (Whitney: "I am only 5-feet something, and Nicole is 6-foot something, so technically, her shot was a few inches closer"). Sherri says "Enough, Whitney, we're only halfway into the first half. Time to empty the bench." So, putting the medical redshirts in danger, Sherri puts in Lyndsey Cloman and Jasmine Hartman to finish out the half, who do nothing but stand center court for a standing ovation from the LNC crowd. Freshmen DeShawn Harden and Sharane Campbell run circles around them scoring and stealing. No idea what Mizzou was trying to do during that time, but it did not appear to be basketball. The buzzer sounds and the Lady Tigers make a beeline for their bus. Sherri to Billy Tubbs in postgame: "I don't think they realized that was just the end of the first half." Billy Tubbs to Sherri: "****ing Mizzou. I once left in the first half against them here, but it wasn't by my choice!"

2 p.m. Saturday.

Boomer!

12. tycat947

tycat947 New Member

Totally agree, Badger!!! Mizzou is about the most insignificant D1 athletic program in the country! I'm also not a Pingeton fan after her "family" comment when she was hired but also after last years game in Norman, one of the Tigerettes forearmed one of our players to the ground, and I can't remember if it was a "technical" or "flagrant" foul but the player was running back down the court near Pingeton and she was clapping joyously to that player like "GREAT JOB"!!! So, I hope they loose every game from now on. They probably do stand a good chance to get a win when GiGi and the whorns visit Columbia.

badger likes this.
  13. badger

Confession: I have no idea who any of those people you're referring to are. That's how irrelevant they are to me. :p

14. tycat947

tycat947 New Member

:unconscious: Sorry! Robin Pingeton is the head women's coach of the Tigerettes! And she's pretty irrelevant to everyone!!! Gail Goestenkors is affectionally known, by all who hate the whorns, as GiGi.

15. badger

Oh yeah, I've heard of her because eff Texas, but not the Mizzou people. I guess they really don't matter after today, unless we have to play them in the Big 12 tourney. Then, put them in crates with little water containers and ship them off to the SEC for adoption.

16. badger

[​IMG]

There are very few other ways to describe this game. I set the vBookie point spread at 25, we barely beat completely defeated Mizzou at home this past weekend, and we are about to go up against one of the top teams in the country.

If you are feeling untethered from this season, here's some music:

[youtube]_CTYymbbEL4[/youtube]

This was apparently what the team had to listen to in practice after escaping with victory over Mizzou. Read more here.

I love the waltz, so I hope it was a good practice.

Normally this is the part of the blog where I trash our upcoming opponent, but my heart just isn't in it today (snowy Tulsa) and since Sherri likes Geno, I probably shouldn't say what I'm usually thinking about the guy, which is, in the most sexist way possible: Geno reflects the whiny girls that he coaches to the media on many occasions.

Full disclosure: I'm a girl, so I'm allowed to say that, hehe.

Soooo... the ones who lurk here are probably disappointed because they were expecting an anti-UConn rant... so I hate to leave you empty handed. Here goes, but once again, I'm not putting any effort into this:

On numerous occasions, Geno has just gone off on the media about how his team is soooooo disrespected because they are women and not men, so their winning streaks, their national championship streaks, their top players, it's all not regarded in the same esteem as other teams.

This, to me, is like Peggy Hill saying matter of factly, "In my opinion, the day after Thanksgiving is the busiest shopping day of the year."

Peggy Hill is one of my least favorite characters on TV.

What Geno is REALLY saying, in a thinly veiled pathetic attempt, is that they are disrespecting HIS accomplishments. And the "his" should be the first tipoff on what direction I'm going with this.

He is, again in the most sexist way possible, getting his panties in a wad because they are not calling him one of the greatest college basketball coaches of all time. Look at HIS team beating the UCLA winning streak that John Wooden's teams set! Look at HIS team winning yet another national championship! Look at HIS team being the No. 1 ranked team in the country for the billionth consecutive week!

Now, I would love women and men to get equal billing like they seem to in pro tennis in the sports media, but Geno getting up in arms because they aren't calling him John Wooden's superior is laughable. UConn fanatics or less sane people might applaud good ol' Geno for coming to the defense of his poor widdle wimmen's team, but here's where it irks me:

Geno is a guy and womens sports is one of the few places where females actually get head coaching opportunities at any level.

A guy like Geno can coach any program he wants (in fact, maybe he should take over UConn's men's program so he can get those grad rates up to a level where they can actually make the NCAA tourney, eh?). The women he's defending are not going to get those same opportunities.

If you want to feel sorry for anyone in college womens basketball, feel sorry for the players that will go from 10k fans at top games down to the barren arenas of the WNBA, the overseas circuit most of the year, or struggle to rise through a college coaching atmosphere where they have to compete with both women and men (like Geno) if they want to continue working in their sport after college. Don't feel sorry for the Genos because he's not getting the same glory and adoration as John Wooden.

So, eff Geno, and eff UConn because they beat us in the 2002 national title game. I was there. And it was a tough loss to take. :(

OK, so that was depressing. Want more waltz time?
    [youtube]qnPGDWD_oLE[/youtube]

ESPN2 tonite! Boomer!

17. badger

If I was a guy, I would be this guy:
    [​IMG]
    If I wore a coach's hat, I would wear this hat:
    [​IMG]
    If I were a crazy dictator, I would NOT be this crazy dictator:
    [​IMG]

So please, mens team, beat Texas. I am surprised that both of our teams have made it this far into conference play and not met Texas yet, but I know that when the Big 12 become ten it probably created schedule weirdness. Ah well.

RECAPS!

55-73

This team really fought hard in this one, despite what the final score says (you have to keep in mind that we are an injury depleted, young team that is unranked going up against the No. 3 team in the country). The refs did a lot to keep us in the game early, with tons of free throw opportunities to shrink the deficit. Alas, we once again fell to our old shooting woe ways and... well.. same ol' song and dance, my friends.

Three-point and overall woes continue: Remember back when it was a given that you could vBet on my "Sooners shoot 50 percent from three" and you'd get a big payout for a low percentage shot? Alas, our percentage last night was 21.4 from three, and just 34.5 percent from the field.

On a positive note: We made 14 of our 18 free throws, which is the same number UConn made (although they only attempted 15 of em).

We lost the turnover battle: For a team that really looked like a ball thiefin' team early on, we only forced UConn to commit 8 turnovers, while committing 15 ourselves. I attribute this to our fast-pacedness, rather than sloppy playness. We were desperate to quickly answer UConn's every shot and to catch them offguard on defense, which worked several times, if only, if only, we could have made some of those shots.

On a positive note: Despite playing against more experienced, more athletic players, we nearly matched them rebound for rebound. They had 40, we had 39.

Let's cut to Sheri. Sherri?
    While I felt defeated from even before the game started (you can see my Westminster breaks from game posting in that other thread, hehe), I am also proud of this team's effort. They could have fetal positions when they went down 21-4 early, but they fought back and brought it to within 5 with a minute to go in the first half (then proceeded to give up quick points, arg). This team is learning quickly and I think it will pay off come tourney time. Did I just say TOURNEY TIME?! Yes, there is little doubt in my mind that the third-best Big 12 team, who will possibly be the second-best by the end of the season, is going to get an NCAA bid.

Also, a tribute to the fans from UConn coach Geno, hehe:

It really was that lopsided at one point in the first half. It was funny, but even biased badger could see that the refs were really favoring OU at that point in the game, hehe.

Next game: 7 p.m. Wednesday hosting Kansas State. Sh!t, is it that soon already?! I need to get over to vBookie!

Boomer!

18. badger

[​IMG]

Yes, KSU tonight, but rather than preview it (Here's my preview: WE ARE GOING TO WIN, D@MMIT), let's honor our honorable academic all-stars:

Hand and McFarland are all-academic Big 12.

I think we usually have a few more, but keep in mind that players need to participate in a certain percentage of games and freshmen are not eligible, so that disqualifies half our roster right away.

19. badger

Badger tunes in with 12 minutes to go following a church thing
    [​IMG]
    Badger: Grumble grumble, no defense, letting them shoot threes, missing shots... down by 7 and not cutting into the lead... two home losses in a row, here we come...

Badger stays tuned in with 8 minutes left
    [​IMG]
    Badger: Seriously, why do I make myself suffer like this? We are still down by 7, they are still sinking threes, why why why why why why

Badger stays tuned in with 4 minutes left
    [​IMG]
    Badger: I can haz questionable ref calls go in OUR favor??? Ref calls aren't ALWAYS against the Sooners???

Badger following game
    [​IMG]
    Badger: Win win win win win win win win win win win

68-62
    Seriously, why do crazy Sooner fans let themselves suffer during games like we all have during these past football and basketball seasons? Well, in any event, the suffering for once paid off, as we turned a deficit into a lead and showed promising signs for the future. We are not perfect and we are probably not a Final Four, Big 12 tourney championship team this year, but we still have much to be happy about.

Vegas finally hits her shots at the best time: Yes, she still had a few bad defensive moments, but when the game was on the line, she hit big shots. She finished with 12 points (11 in the second half), 3 assists and 3 steals.

Whitney Hand plays 40 again: I have no idea how she's doing this. This was our third game in five days. All I know is that the moment Landry starts slacking off in football, she is gonna smack him :D

Kay Kay rebounds: 11 of em in only 21 minutes. Whatever rotation Sherri is doing for post players it appears to be working.

But... anyways, Sherri can probably explain all of this better than I can. Sherri?

Now, now, Sherri --- attendance figures topped 5k. I know it's not as many as were in attendance for UConn, but still, 5k is a very respectable attendance number.

Sherri also addressed the fact that she didn't start Vegas:

Next game: 7 p.m. Saturday @ Iowa State.

Boomer!

20. badger

I really can't think of anything bad to say about Iowa State. Their fans are passionate, even their students, and their program is down right now, but they were once Sherri's nemesis (even that first Final Four season in 01-02) and they'll be back. Oh, and they are the reason we didn't have to cheer for an SEC team in the national title game. :stunned:

Wait... I can do better than the usual stunned. Just check out this thread.
    Soonerpsycho of course had the best one like always:

[​IMG]

Hehe... so anyways, in order to dodge weekend chores, and because I'm likely going to miss tonite's game, argh, an update on our season stats:

Tidbits of note:

- Only two players have started all 25 games, Whitney Hand and Morgan Hook.
    - Our highest home attended game was Mizzou last weekend, with more than 9k.
    - Our highest away attended game was Baylor, with 8400ish.
    - Our biggest win was our first, at home against Sacramento State. We scored the most points of any game this season (117) and won by 62 points.
    - Our biggest loss was at home against Baylor, by 32 points.
    - We have only had one game in overtime, @ Kansas, which we won.
    - Our closest win was @ New Mexico, by 2 points.
    - Our closest losses were both by 3 points, @ Poke and @ Fresno State.
    - The most points any player scored in a single game was 31 by Vegas, @ Kansas State (win).
    - The most rebounds any player had in a single game was 16 by Kay Kay @ Missouri (win).

Leading scorer: Vegas, 14.8 ppg. Despite recent scoring slumps and not starting for the first time this season against Kansas State, Vegas had such a hot shooting hand early on that her scoring average is still tops on the team.

Leading scorer in conference games: Whitney, 14.1 ppg. She is without question the team's MVP and it's why Sherri cannot say enough about her leadership, methinks.

Leading rebounder: Joanna, with 7.3 rpg. Not even a broken jaw can take this stat away, hehe.

Honorable mention: Kay Kay, with 6.4 rpg in-conference games only, barely second to Joanna's 6.6 rpg in-conference games only. No wonder Sherri gave her a starting spot recently in Jo's absence.

Free throw leader (overall and in-conference): Whitney, 86.2 percent. No other player is in the 80s range, which is probably why I don't complain as much if we're not getting to the line, hehe.

Blocks leader: Stringbean Nicole, with 45 overall, just 5 shy of 2 per game average. Nobody else is close.

Assist leaders: Whitney (97 overall, 43 in-conference) and Morgan (96 overall, 47 in-conference). That's just shy of 4 per game for both. Everyone else is about half of this or less.

Steals leader: Vegas, with 50 (2 per game average).

Honorable mention: DeShawn. Of her 27 overall steals, 21 have been in-conference. This is just behind Vegas' 27 in-conference.

Minutes leader: Whitney, is there any question? 35.2 overall, 38 in-conference. The only other two to average more than 30 per game are Morgan and Vegas.

Three-point leader: Joanna! Shooting 47 percent overall, and upping that to 52 percent in-conference.

Honorable mention: Sharane, who has an overall 37 percent from three, but in-conference? 47 percent!

Foul leader: Kay Kay, with 64.

Foul-out leader: Nicole, fouling out twice.

Turnover leader
    : Vegas, with 75.

In-conference turnover leader: Morgan, with 39 (Vegas second with 36)

Check out all of the stats at SS.com here.

Next game: 7 p.m. tonite @ Iowa State!

Boomer!