1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Norman North/Edmond Santa Fe Scrimmage

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Sabanball, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Sabanball

Sabanball Well-Known Member

Any of you guys get to see any of this scrimmage tonight? David Cornwell vs. Justice Hansen. Was curious how both looked, all I've been able to find is that Cornwell supposedly threw a 51 TD pass. I know scrimmages don't mean much but I was just wondering if anybody here had any more details about how these two performed.

2. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

Check back tomorrow. I didn't catch it (I live out of state), but I know someone that was planning to go watch. I'll shoot him an email and see what kind of info I can get.

I don't imagine too much will come of it since I'm sure both guys were "off limits". But something is better than nothing.

3. 8timechamps

Sabanball,

Got an email back from my buddy that was at the scrimmage. Not sure if anything he said helps, as he was late to the game and missed Hansen (he only played the first few possessions I guess). He said that Cornwell looked pretty good, but it was hard to tell because he was off limits and was never under pressure. He did say that Cornwell had one really nice long TD pass, but on his last drive he stalled in the redzone. He said he looked like he was trying to force the ball a little too much (which isn't surprising to me, since it's still pre-season).

I guess he had some kind of foot/ankle injury at the end of his time in the scrimmage, but was walking fine on the sideline (so it probably wasn't much of anything).

All in all, it sounds like it went the way all pre-season scrimmages go. Not much to be gained about either QB.

4. boomersooner28

boomersooner28 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

EDMOND — Edmond Santa Fe quarterback Justice Hansen had been downplaying the battle against Norman North's David Cornwell on Thursday night at Edmond Santa Fe.

But then when the half-game scrimmage actually started, the two top recruits duked it out in grand style, matching touchdown for touchdown — until injuries struck both.

Hansen, an Oklahoma commitment and No. 4 on The Oklahoman's Super 30, orchestrated three drives to open the scrimmage, only to re-tweak his hamstring on his 70-yard touchdown run to leave the game for precautionary reasons.

“Regardless of anything that would have happened before, I wasn't going to miss this scrimmage,” said Hansen, who had originally tweaked his hamstring in practice. “It was good to go out there, get my three series in and then see how the team picked it up in the end.”

Later, Cornwell rolled his ankle at the end of the first quarter on a fourth-and-goal play.

The Alabama commitment, who is ranked No. 2 on the Super 30, sat on the sideline with ice taped to his ankle. But he talked like the injury would be a non-factor in the future.

“I'll be ready in two days,” Cornwell said. “This ankle is fine. You'll see me on the practice field in two days.

“I was just up on one foot and then I came back down, kinda like a basketball play, just came down on it on the toe and just rolled it. I'll be taping my ankles from now on. I thought I'd be fine, but it'll be great in two days.”

Even with the disappointing result, the quarterbacks combined for more than 200 yards passing and three touchdowns.

Hansen opened the scrimmage with a 51-yard TD pass to senior Malik Earl on short pass, and then watched Cornwell and Norman North go just four plays on their opening series.

But Norman North quickly responded with an interception, taking advantage of a pass off the hands of a Santa Fe receiver.

Cornwell then nailed a 51-yard TD pass in the end zone.

Hansen, not to be outdone, then responded with his long TD run before exiting.

“That kid's frustrating to defend — his release, the velocity on the football, the accuracy he threw with,” Edmond Santa Fe coach Lance Manning said about Cornwell. “It was frustrating.

“On the other hand, you've got Justice who throws a good ball and then the way he runs the football, as well. I'm sure that frustrates people, too. I think it's just two very impressive quarterbacks.”

Afterward, each quarterback spoke highly of the other.

“I have a lot of respect for him, seeing him around the block a lot,” Cornwell said about Hansen. “Seeing him at midfield, when you meet these guys they're just like you.”

But for Hansen, he maintained that the scrimmage wasn't just about the quarterbacks.

It was a sentiment Manning agreed with.

“It's about a lot more than Cornwell and Hansen,” he said. “There's a lot of good football players that fought their hearts out making plays. But as a coach watching the game, I think you have to be really impressed with both players.”

5. Sabanball

Good stuff. Thanks guys!

6. 8timechamps

Much better report than what I had. Sounds like they both did well in the short time they saw action.

It's going to be fun to follow the progression of both these kids.

7. Sabanball

I agree. Maybe they meet down the road during their college careers.:)