1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News coverage during the tornado

Discussion in 'South Oval' started by SoonerStormchaser, May 21, 2013.

1. SoonerStormchaser

SoonerStormchaser Emma's Daddy!

Watching the streaming live internet coverage from Germany yesterday, I'll say one thing...KFOR should fire Emily Sutton! Every time they cut to her on the road, she was in full-blown panic mode and screaming at Mike Moron. A truly pathetic thing to watch when there were folks already worried about their loved ones and their property. In a disaster like what we just saw, you are expected to at least keep some sense of composure (see KWTV and KOCO for notes on that).

And while they're at it, why oh why did KFOR talk to that asshat Reed Timmer? Were there really no other spotters available?

2. olevetonahill

olevetonahill Well-Known Member

No clue who that is.

3. Lott's Bandana

Lott's Bandana SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I used to watch KFOR for my tornado coverage. Now, with Emily (who is actually pretty good in the studio) and Reed the apoplectic screamer, I have gone back to Gary.

I'll hand it to Gary...he really knows how to remain calm and handle his spotters. "Val, we have your feed, please stop telling us what we are already watching." Loved that.

4. cleller

cleller SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I go between the two, both do a good job, just depends on who is in the right place. Channel 9 really nailed the Shawnee and Moore coverage, though.

Really like Emily Sutton in the studio, but admit she's not the best on the road. Been making fun of the Reed Timmer guy, but he did get his Robocop Domininator right in the middle of one the other day.

5. Midtowner

Midtowner New Member

Watching Sutton, she seemed panicked and there seemed to be more footage from the van driving to different locations than anything useful. KFOR's helicopter coverage was the best hands down. 9 and 5 were second and third tier.

I was actually reminded today that KOKH had coverage... forgot they were still trying to do the news thing.

6. Lott's Bandana

Lott's Bandana SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Another observation this morning:

CNN is obsessed with the body count, asking the State ME three times about more bodies as well as the Governor.

The local news is focusing more on the survivors. Since I'm 3 miles away, I prefer the local coverage. Otherwise I get a bit paralyzed with grief for my neighbors.

7. sooneron

sooneron Soonerfans.com Elitist

I was in town and watching the tv on Sunday. I had to turn it to Channel 5 because the CH. 9 spotter guys were freaking my yankee wife out. Too much freaking out.

8. SoonerStormchaser

Emily is nothing more than a pretty face on television...I've seen college newscasters that have a better broadcast presence and knowledge than her.

9. C&CDean

C&CDean Administrator

They all suck. WTF are y'all even comparing them for? Emily Slutton is just as bad/good as any of them.

10. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

I was really annoyed with CNN this morning. Their anchor was basically saying over and over that more people are going to die. Oh, so you say that you got your family to safety in time? More people are going to die. You say that your relief efforts are underway as you search for survivors too? MORE PEOPLE ARE GOING TO DIE.

**** cnn.

11. sooneron

sooneron Soonerfans.com Elitist

CNN is horrible.

12. SoonerStormchaser

Robin Meade is nothing but a moron...a hawt moron!

13. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! SoonerFans.com Elite Member

D'Oh!

It's their MO, dawrlin'.

14. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

I respect that guys profession, and his business acumen (he has made a career out of it), but what I thoroughly dislike and disrespect is that he's a tornado chaser and never seems to report his findings. It appears that he's all about the footage for his site, and doesn't even think about calling in the danger elements so that warnings can be posted.

15. Blue

Blue SoonerFans.com Elite Member

news in general has become way too emotional and opiononated. Just give us the facts. We know you want to seem empathetic but we just need the news and the facts.

8timechamps likes this.
  16. reflector

reflector Well-Known Member

This is my favorite news coverage so far. I keep watching it.

[video=youtube;DXm0V6a4LMk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXm0V6a4LMk[/video]

Blue likes this.
  17. BudSooner

BudSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Thanks for sharing that...that was pretty cool, kinda got to me at the end.

18. SoonerStormchaser

And the fact of the matter is he does it in some of the most unsafe ways possible (high speeds, close proximity, sheer recklessness) and glorifies it. He's either going to get himself killed one day, or get some moron killed who thinks he can imitate him.
    The sad thing is that he's been doing this for over a decade.

8timechamps likes this.
  19. rock on sooner

rock on sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Dint just "kinda" get me! So happy for the pup and her!

Partial Qualifier likes this.
  20. olevetonahill

olevetonahill Well-Known Member

[​IMG]