1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New proposal to save Big 12 being considered by Texas

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by SoonerMom2, Jun 13, 2010.

1. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

Without the CCG...

2009: Texas unquestioned heading into championship game, Nebbish has no chance of at-large.

2008: Oklahoma and Texas get BCS berths, one gets into the title game. Mizzou has no chance of at-large.

2007: Mizzou has shot as championship game, Mizzou and Kansas to the BCS. Oklahoma and Texas have slight chance of BCS berths.

2006: Oklahoma gets BCS berth. Texas at-large, no shot for Nebraska to get at-large.

2005: Texas is the only BCS-bound team, no question. I'd mention Colorado, but I think they lost that game by like 70 points or so.

2004: OU in title game, Texas gets at-large, nothing else worth mentioning.

Skipping 2003 because that's one of the few years a CCG actually mattered...

2002: OU in. Colorado gets no shot at at-large.

2001: Texas in nat'l title game. Colorado or Nebraska get chosen for at-large berth.

2000: OU in national title game. KSU and Nebraska get consideration for at-large.

1999: Nebraksa in the title game.

1998: KSU in the title game (it was ranked #2). Texas A&M might get at-large consideration.

1997: Nebraska in the title game. Texas A&M considered for at-large.

1996: Nebraska (ranked third) gets BCS berth. Texas, which was unranked, would not get BCS consideration.

Overall, the Big 12 game has only had a few upsets and mattered only a few times. If it was more relevant to the nat'l title picture, with two contenders facing off, the coaches might actually like it.

2. ndpruitt03

ndpruitt03 New Member

And I doubt there would be enough votes from the rest of the conference to allow it for Texas.

3. Collier11

Collier11 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

If that were the case then why would OU and tex, the two power brokers in the conference be considering it?

4. ndpruitt03

ndpruitt03 New Member

I don't think they really are discussing this they are just trying to get info out there that they tried to save the conference but the math just didn't work.

5. Collier11

Collier11 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I guess we will know for sure early next week, I dont think it is out of the question though. OU and tex lose a lot of power by going to the Pac 10 and it becomes alot harder to play for natl titles

6. Sooner5030

Sooner5030 Well-Known Member

and OKC loses out on a lot of revenue

7. ndpruitt03

ndpruitt03 New Member

What will happen when ND goes to the B10? All this realignment talk comes back again in 2 years and we are forced to do the same thing. The good thing about this is that in the end we will have a playoff and college football will be better for it. But let's go ahead and start the ball rolling instead of sitting around and being forced to join a conference in a few years. ND will eventually cave to the Big 10. It's just a matter of when.

8. soonerloyal

soonerloyal New Member

What are we, Notre Dame? I have little respect for a team that doesn't have to do diddly against their peers, just show up & be handed a post-season game simply because they didn't totally suck canal water.

Geez, they need to s*** or get off the pot. Just do it, pick a farkin' conference and let's gear up to kick ***. This is getting ridiculous. :mad:

9. GottaHavePride

GottaHavePride Brewmaster

Yeah, at this point I think all the "How do we save the Big 12" talk is just shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic.

10. Leroy Lizard

Leroy Lizard SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I'm not sure about a playoff. With the Pac and Big expanding, they just might decide to go back to the traditional Rose Bowl alignments. With OU, TX, and NU in the fold, that game would be huge.

11. soonerduke

soonerduke New Member

It's a bad idea to stay in a conference whose commissioner is Dan Beebe.

PrideTrombone likes this.
  12. GimmeRed

GimmeRed New Member

It is already allowed and is also part of the package that Beebe is proposing.

13. SoonerMom2

SoonerMom2 New Member

Maybe that is their way to say they tried to save the Big 12 and then they don't have to pay any money to leave -- it is over and no way to save it.

14. I've seen a report that the Mountain West might prefer a merger with the remaining five Big XII teams (KU, K-State, Baylor, Iowa State, Mizzou) in order to (1) preserve the Big XII BCS bid and (2) force the leaving schools to pay the fees.

So, in that respect, the Big XII may survive with Beebe at the helm, but it will be the Mountain West that was invisioned if the South exodus occurs.

15. Sabanball

Sabanball Well-Known Member

You can thank TAMU for this.

16. ndpruitt03

ndpruitt03 New Member

OU/Texas were never going to stay in the Big 12 same with TAMU.

17. ndpruitt03

ndpruitt03 New Member

The new rumor is that A&M is going to the SEC. KU is going to the PAC 10.

18. Sabanball

Sabanball Well-Known Member

Agreed, BUT that is the reason for this completely fake deathbed resuscitation attempt of the Big 12 and Texas saying that they are 'considering' it. What a joke...

19. ndpruitt03

ndpruitt03 New Member

They want to be able to say at the PC when the PAC 10 starts that they "tried to save the Big 12 but just couldn't in it's current form" or some bs like that.

20. SoonerMom2

SoonerMom2 New Member

I agree this is a publicity move that they tried to save the conference but it wasn't feasable. Just like that Conference Championship rumor that Mack Brown and Stoops didn't like the game but it was because not everyone had to play one like the PAC 10 and Big 10. You can bet money they have no intention of going down to ten teams and not be allowed to have a conference championship. Who are they going to get to replace NE and CO -- not much pickings out there and why the PAC 10 came for a whole group of schools.