1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New O coord

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by ObiKaTony, Jan 11, 2015.

1. SoCalBigRed

SoCalBigRed Well-Known Member

No, they can't.. because obviously Adonis has won his fair share of National Titles and knows what it takes.

I was right there with most, on changes needed to be made. And you know what? Bob did it. Still going to do more. And he threw everyone a curve ball again.

I like the hire. Young, motivated, fresh ideas, willing to work around his personnel.

The Boo Birds would cry about anything, other than 3 NC quality HCs, one for offense, one for D and the other putting it all together and taking all the heat, if it didn't work.

8timechamps likes this.
  2. olevetonahill

olevetonahill Well-Known Member

Im gettin mighty sick of Message Board Heros that Know moren any coach alive.

Its gotten to where a FAN cant even enjoy the Prospect of a new season and a New day before all the ****ing Debbie Downers come crawling out the woodwork

Im a ****in Sunshine Pumper and those that dont like it can kiss my ***!

pb4ou and SoCalBigRed like this.
  3. Pricetag

Pricetag SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Didn't we have more than one game where we finished with negative rushing yards when we won the NC in 2000?

I hate the idea of wasting Perine as much as anyone else, but weren't we finesse as a mofo in 2000?

4. KantoSooner

KantoSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Don't you go bringing facts and logic into this!

5. OU Adonis

OU Adonis New Member

We also threw it 53% of the time while running it 47% of the time. Hardly an "air raid" style of offense.

6. olevetonahill

olevetonahill Well-Known Member

7. OU Adonis

OU Adonis New Member

I am not critical of Riley. I am critical of Bobs decision to hire him.

8. blacktop

blacktop Member

1. Dean I apologize - you scooped everyone.
    2. Good luck Lincoln Riley.
    3. This doesn't fix the defense.

9. SoonerorLater

SoonerorLater Well-Known Member

Well, I guess we can give Lincoln a chance if he can give us some assurances that our offensive game plan will have a proper run/pass ratio.

10. graphster

graphster New Member

I do not have a problem with the hire or the offense. In theory. I don't buy that you can't win with this style of offense at the national level, for a few reasons. First, we did just that back in 2000. Second, people used to say the same thing about the spread option offenses that Chip Kelley/Urban Meyer/Gus Malzahn run. Third, while this is definitely an offense that leans on the pass more than the run, it's not as extreme in that regard as the earlier versions of this scheme. Riley, like most of the other coaches from the Leech coaching tree (aside from Leech himself), has updated the offense to include more runs, particularly in the redzone or in short yardage situations.

In practice, I am a bit frustrated. If Stoops wanted to go in this direction, it's unclear what we've been doing for the past 4 seasons. Heupel is, himself, more experienced with this style of offense than the pro/option schemes that we used the past several years. Our recruiting over the past several years has also emphasized things that are not great fits for this scheme (mobile QBs, big powerful RBs), so it is unclear whether we have the personnel to run it right now. Of course you could have said the same thing about us back in 1999. Even still, I feel like an offense similar to Oregon, Ohio State, or Auburn is more closely suited to our current roster, and would have been an easier transition given that we were already using some of those concepts in our offense last year. I am unclear why we have emphasized physicality and the running game so much the past few years if Stoops ultimately wanted to take the offense in this direction.

It also kind of feels like Josh got screwed here. He was asked to coordinate an offense that he wasn't all that comfortable with, without even having previous experience as a playcaller. Then we fire him and hire a guy to bring in the exact type of offense that Josh would have been most successful with.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
    East Coast Bias likes this.
  11. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I'm know this is going way out on a limb, but I predict Perine will be a star for OU again in '15.

12. SicEmBaylor

SicEmBaylor Baylor Ambassador

...or not even then.

13. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

So SicEM', what's going to happen when HC Briles has to fire his OC? A really awkward Thanksgiving dinner?

14. SicEmBaylor

SicEmBaylor Baylor Ambassador

I don't see any reason to fire Kendal. I don't put the blame on him. Next season will tell a lot.

15. cherokeebrewer

cherokeebrewer New Member

Riley’s offenses have taken claim of the ECU record books. Four of his five seasons are the four best in program history in terms of total yardage, including 6,086 yards in 2013 and 6,929 yards in 2014.

59-to-41 pass-run ratio

his philosophy is to put the ball in his best players hands as often as possible and in ways that stress the defense the most

16. SoonerMarkVA

SoonerMarkVA New Member

My first thoughts on this, too. It's hard to believe that what we saw from Heupel was really what Heupel wanted to do. That seemed to clearly be the continuation of the type of offense that (as far as I can tell) B. Stoops had pushed onto every coordinator since Chuck Long. I think what we saw in 2000 was exactly the kind of offense Heupel would choose to run. So we get rid of Heupel to "go in another direction", and it turns out the direction we're going is the offense Heupel almost certainly would promote?

Maybe we're all blind, looking at this from the outside with no idea. But I have to wonder what Josh Heupel is sitting there, thinking, with the hiring of a Leach protege after being let go, likely having been constrained into the offense we've seen from him.

17. swardboy

swardboy SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Get that groin healed Mr. Shepard!!!

18. SoonerKnight

SoonerKnight Well-Known Member

i beleive that Riley will be fine. we need a qb guru someone who can develop our QB's. Knight can throw he proved that against Alabama but the plays called all season had no rythem and were just ill timed. imthink Knight or Mayfield gets the start. Knight has the experience we need a coach that can call to his strengths. Watch ECU highlights they did not have the athletes we had all year and yet they put up some good stats runing and throwing. As for Heupel he should have told Stoops he was not the right guy for the whatever the hell he was calling the last two years. If he did not know that system you speak up. Yes men fall quicker than those that actually speak up.

19. Mookie91

Mookie91 Member

I can't believe he doesn't run Perrine more and for god sake, throw it down field...oh wait I have to wait 9 months to join the crowd

20. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Yup, we ran the ball! I'm sure that it was our 35 carries for 56 yards that helped us beat FSU, and our 36 carries for 11 yards that helped us beat KSU.

I learned my lesson today. It's all about how many times you carry the ball. The yards don't matter.

We ran for 1671 yards that year (which leaves us with a 69-31 ratio), which is LESS than Riley's ECU ran for last year.