1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Landry is the best QB in the Draft

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Collier11, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Collier11

Collier11 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

The guy who helped build the great Colts teams (Bill Polian) of Peyton Manning stated today that Landry is the best QB in this draft...whether any of you agree or not, that is quite the compliment

2. olevetonahill

olevetonahill Well-Known Member

I thinl LJ has the chance of being a great one. IF the right Team gets him.

3. Collier11

There were some, including Gruden who said that the reason LJ peaked as a sophomore is because the coaches mis-used him. I know many of us disagree with that, but that opinion can only help him

4. olevetonahill

olevetonahill Well-Known Member

I still believe that bringing in Bell on those 3rd downs ,his junior year DID undermine his confidence,

5. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! SoonerFans.com Elite Member

As far as pure passing ability, he's as good as there is in this yr's draft. What remains to be seen is whether he can be taught to manage the game and what he's able to do under pressure in the pros.

6. aurorasooner

aurorasooner Well-Known Member

Never thought he'd make some of the SFBs decisions that he did after Broyles went down. There's no question that he's got a quality arm, but there are plenty of college QBs that have had quality arms and are now selling insurance instead of playing in the NFL .
    In all fairness to him, a quality OL, quality running game with some decent running plays that don't continually telegraph to the D where they're going so he won't always have to throw the ball on 3rd and 1 or 3rd and 2 ,and a team that actually uses a TE, would possibly help him. I just don't think he'll be successful in the league, but I do hope that he can make it as an NFL QB.

7. SoonerInFortSmith

SoonerInFortSmith New Member

There's no way he won't have a long NFL career. Think of some of the QBs in the league. Landry has too good of an arm to not stick somewhere.

8. SanJoaquinSooner

SanJoaquinSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

No doubt he has an NFL arm and that's as important anything else. But it alone is not sufficient. See Jeff George.

Hopefully, his out-of-pocket passing will improve with NFL coaching, or maybe his need to throw out-of-pocket will be minimal.

9. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

I'll never forget him bailing us out at Morgantown or against the aggies in OT last year

he was clutch at the end of the season

3-1 in bowl games wasn't so bad either

10. VA Sooner

VA Sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

He needs a good QB coach who can teach him how to work under pressure, especially NFL-caliber defenses rushing the QB

11. Soonerjeepman

Soonerjeepman SoonerFans.com Elite Member

all I can say is look who the Chiefs have had over the last 20 years....and I'm not talking just starting qb's...Vlassic (better known as "the pickle" here..) was a back-up for 6 yrs...don't think he played a down.(corrected threw for 700 yrds 4 TD 5 pick - played for Chargers and Chiefs)..made prob at least 250K a yr for carrying a clipboard. Landry will be in the league for at least that long..maybe not a starter but def in the league.

wow did a search for salaries...incredible how much they've gone up in 25 yrs..lol

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  12. cleller

cleller SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I've always thought Landry looked much more like a pro QB than a college QB. In college, the QB also inherits the job of play-maker, drill sgt, cheerleader, and emotional speaker. Landry's not cut out for that.

The pro QB generally has been more of a guy to learn plays, hand off, and make strong throws. Landry can do that.

13. rock on sooner

rock on sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

^^^^^^This^^^^^^. Showed LJ was definitely a team player, though.

14. rock on sooner

I said in another thread that if LJ can go to a team that has a
    stud starter and a good QB coach he would do well. The Broncos
    come to mind...mostly 'cause I'm a big fan (lived in CO for 12 years)
    and there is a HOF QB there for at least a couple more years, that
    plus team management has another HOF QB in Elway.

15. Mjcpr

Mjcpr SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Or aggy in 2010....I think.

16. OUster

OUster New Member

Anyone have any idea where the "experts" are projecting LJ?

17. Collier11

3rd to 4th is what I have heard, but it only takes a 1 team to fall in love with a qb

18. rock on sooner

I've heard 3rd or 4th as well. I think he'll go higher, though...don't know
    why, just do...

19. Tulsa_Fireman

Tulsa_Fireman SoonerFans.com Elite Member

As much as I love what Landry Jones has done at our University of Oklahoma, I'm afraid there's another side to this statement that simply says that this QB class, simply put, sucks compared to others.

Again, not to undermine Landry Jones, but when Matt Barkley and Geno Smith are in the top tier of the position? That should tell you all you need to know.

20. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

Would love to see him here, but the Broncos already have their "QB of the future" in Brock Osweiler (sp?). They'[ll be going for CBs/MLBs/WRs in this draft.