1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many more years would you give Stoops before it is time to throw the hammer down.

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by LakeRat, Oct 14, 2013.

?

How many non championship seasons does Bob have left?

1. Fire him now!

5 vote(s)
    9.4%
  2. 5 years

21 vote(s)
    39.6%
  3. 10 years

5 vote(s)
    9.4%
  4. 15 years

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
  5. Never! He has earned a life long contract.

19 vote(s)
    35.8%
  1. LakeRat

LakeRat New Member

We are 14 years in between, at least(Personally I don't see us being a title contender until 2016). If it is 2030 and no title... 2020... 2040... When if ever does he feel heat?

2. Breadburner

Breadburner Well-Known Member

Re: How many more years would you give Stoops before it is time to throw the hammer d

O jesus.....!!!

3. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

Re: How many more years would you give Stoops before it is time to throw the hammer d

Already a thread for this.

4. LakeRat

LakeRat New Member

I wanted a poll for it 8 time

8timechamps likes this.
  5. cherokeebrewer

cherokeebrewer New Member

So now we have 2 dumb threads...Bob is right up there with Bud & Barry. A loss to the horns and this place goes nuts.

6. picasso

picasso SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I say 3.4 semesters.

7. Tear Down This Wall

Tear Down This Wall Well-Known Member

Honestly? If we go past the 14 year no national title win drought that matches 1986-1999. This is year 13. So, this year and next. If no title this year or next, get someone else in here - who knows how to recruit defensive linemen - for 2015.

Our longest drought after that is 17 seasons, 1957-73. With no great defensive tackle on the roster now, and none on the horizon, giving Bob the time to match 17 title-less seasons would mean four more years after this. Anyone else want to wait four more years for a title shot?

(Again, not saying we won't win a few Big 12 titles during that span. But, the question is, where is the bar set? The years are slipping past.)

8. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

Did you factor in the next leap year?

9. SoonerKnight

SoonerKnight Well-Known Member

HA! This is for real? What a joke!

10. Tear Down This Wall

Tear Down This Wall Well-Known Member

Not really. Bud and Barry have three national titles. So, you can hold off on putting Bob into the Bud/Barry category.

And, it's not just a loss to the 'Horns. It was a Gary Gibbs-type loss to the 'Horns: us ranked, them unranked. That's Gary Gibbs 1989-1992.

I'd rank Bob ahead of Gibbs, for sure, but easily a couple of notches below Barry and Bud.

Think about this. We say we had two top defenders out and that was a problem. Well, on Saturday, so did Texas. Their best LB (sadly) Jordan Hicks...and a starting DB (Hemroid Evans...or something like that). Still we couldn't throw on 'em or keep 'em off Bell.

What Bob did Saturday was pull his pants down on national television and p*iss into the wind.

11. picasso

picasso SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Bud and Barry were also in a different era. No scholly limits and money under the table.
    Bob lacks the titles but he's won a crapload of games.

12. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

No such thing as a lifetime contract, but Bob's got a pretty long leash. He would have to pull a UT-ish 5-7 to quickly burn up that leash. I see him staying until he gets tired of the grind in 3-5years.

I also wouldn't measure time since last national title because there are too many factors outside a coaches control - including luck. And you can't use Saban as a counter example because Bama needed massive luck just to get in the title game the last 2 years. I would measure time since he had a title contender and that was '08. Another measure is how often he fields a title contender and that's where you can look Bama's way. If you often field an elite team, luck will eventually fall your way. This is also the area where OU has faded in recent years and it seems directly related to recruiting/talent.

13. SoonerorLater

SoonerorLater Well-Known Member

Right off the bat - I'm not saying anything like fire Bob Stoops. This is one of those threads you have to lead with your chin.

At a program like Oklahoma or any of the other perennial power schools I have sort of a yardstick I would go by

Did you challenge for a championship last year?
    Are you challenging for a championship this year?
    Does it appear you have the team to challenge for a championship next year?

If the answer to all of these are no then I would say it is something that needs to be addressed by the administration. (no, not necessarily firing anybody). Some people would find that to be unreasonable but I can assure you where I have worked through the years if you book more than three mediocre years you would be having a similar conversation. No reason for coaches to play by different rules.

14. olevetonahill

olevetonahill Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

15. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I was wearing a suit like that before it was popular.

16. cherokeebrewer

Well, since he's gonna pass Bud & Barry in all-time wins for one of the most storied football programs in history, I'd say he's already in their category. Yes, it was a crushing defeat Saturday in so many ways, but he's put a few humiliating beat downs on the horns also.

Did Gibbs ever beat Texas?

It's always..."What have you done for me lately" after a bad loss.

17. cleller

cleller SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I fully expect Stoops to leave, of his own accord, within 5 years. Don't think he's the type to overstay ala Mack.

18. LakeRat

LakeRat New Member

Lately?? That was the point of my thread. Bob is a great coach, top 20 coach in the nation. But at what point equals lately for you? 14 years is lately for me.

I have been a huge Bob supporter and extremely appreciative of what he has done. But when did we start becoming aggie and ok with a 3-4 loss season and no hope of that changing in the next 3-4 seasons?

19. swardboy

swardboy SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Judging by the house he built, I'd say Bob is in for life...in his mind.

And that's the statement he wanted to make by building it.

Ridiculous:

[TABLE="class: wikitable"]
    [TR]
    [/TR]
    [TR="bgcolor: #FFCC66"]
    [TD]2000[/TD]
    [TD]Bob Stoops[/TD]
    [TD]13–0[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD]1st (South)[/TD]
    [TD]W Orange[SUP]†[/SUP][/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]1[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]1[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]2001[/TD]
    [TD]Bob Stoops[/TD]
    [TD]11–2[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD]2nd (South)[/TD]
    [TD]W Cotton[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]6[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR="bgcolor: #FFFF99"]
    [TD]2002[/TD]
    [TD]Bob Stoops[/TD]
    [TD]12–2[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD]T-1st (South)[/TD]
    [TD]W Rose[SUP]†[/SUP][/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]5[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR="bgcolor: #BBFFFF"]
    [TD]2003[/TD]
    [TD]Bob Stoops[/TD]
    [TD]12–2[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD]1st (South)[/TD]
    [TD]L Sugar[SUP]†[/SUP][/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]3[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD]2004[/TD]
    [TD]Bob Stoops[/TD]
    [TD]12–1[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD]1st (South)[/TD]
    [TD]L Orange[SUP]†[/SUP][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]2005[/TD]
    [TD]Bob Stoops[/TD]
    [TD]8–4[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD]2nd (South)[/TD]
    [TD]W Holiday[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]22[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]22[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD]2006[/TD]
    [TD]Bob Stoops[/TD]
    [TD]11–3[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD]1st (South)[/TD]
    [TD]L Fiesta[SUP]†[/SUP][/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]11[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]11[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD]2007[/TD]
    [TD]Bob Stoops[/TD]
    [TD]11–3[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD]1st (South)[/TD]
    [TD]L Fiesta[SUP]†[/SUP][/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]8[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]8[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD]2008[/TD]
    [TD]Bob Stoops[/TD]
    [TD]12–2[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD]T-1st (South)[/TD]
    [TD]L BCS National Championship Game[SUP]†[/SUP][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]2009[/TD]
    [TD]Bob Stoops[/TD]
    [TD]8–5[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD]4th (South)[/TD]
    [TD]W Sun[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"][/TD]
    [TD="align: right"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD]2010[/TD]
    [TD]Bob Stoops[/TD]
    [TD]12–2[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD]1st (South)[/TD]
    [TD]W Fiesta[SUP]†[/SUP][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]2011[/TD]
    [TD]Bob Stoops[/TD]
    [TD]10–3[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD]T-3rd[/TD]
    [TD]W Insight[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]15[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]16[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD]2012[/TD]
    [TD]Bob Stoops[/TD]
    [TD]10–3[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD]T-1st[/TD]
    [TD]L Cotton[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]2013[/TD]
    [TD]Bob Stoops[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

20. cherokeebrewer

I'm not ok with it, but what is your answer to the 'problem'?...fire Bob and hire someone better? It's easy to complain, solutions are more difficult.