1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can an athlete understand a playbook if he can't read?

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Jacie, Jan 8, 2014.

1. DMSooner

DMSooner New Member

^^this

2. fadada1

fadada1 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

It's been 10 years, so maybe policy has changed. And maybe that was for Houston city school district.

3. winout

winout New Member

On the Cowherd show the other day, Bob said the no huddle offense, with the signalling from the sideline, was actually easier to run/learn than a traditional offense. He related that in conjunction with limited practice time that the college game has.

You have to keep in mind that not all students are "sit in a chair and learn" types but actually learn by doing. These are often the physical types that are good at sports and are eventually our plumbers and security guards.

Should we allow these types to come to college? Sure, a good majority will take advantage of the opportunity and they bring an extra aspect of college life we wouldn't have without those 5-6 Saturdays in the fall.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  4. rock on sooner

rock on sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I can't speak to the broader educational spectrum but in my corner of the
    world 50 years ago those that couldn't read at level didn't drop out..nearly
    all were just passed along to the next grade. It was a smaller school and
    all the teachers knew "the usual suspects" and went along with it. They
    appeared to go along to get along. And, interestingly, those that I saw
    were the athletes. There was peer tutoring in some cases, just so the jocks
    could continue to play.

5. Piware

Piware Well-Known Member

The flip side of this is how many Academic All Americans has OUr program produced. That number is more than respectable.

6. soonergirlNeugene

soonergirlNeugene New Member

I am curious about the timing and methodology of Gurney's study at OU. We're also talking about 10% of the players across all revenue generating sports. This is hardly reaching epidemic-like numbers. I would not be terribly surprised if there were non-athletes who are also masking poor reading skills with other stronger ones. I'd be more interested in learning about the deviation between athletes and non-athletes in the same environment. Assuming that athletes are given greater access to resources like tutors, this seems like something that isn't beyond correction.

Additionally, this nonsense about not being able to improve from an elementary reading level to a college reading level sounds like defeatism at its finest. A lot of kids in elementary school test at "college reading levels" and that without any focused effort beyond casual reading. For me it was comic books and mystery novels. A lot of times, it's just a matter of motivation.

7. SoonerDomiNation

SoonerDomiNation New Member

Dexter manley colored in class with his fansy crayons....which continues to this day in stoolwater as their core curriculum.

8. fadada1

THAT'S NOT TRUE!!!

:miserable:

9. Breadburner

Breadburner Well-Known Member

The dumb ones play on defense.....

10. ashley

ashley Well-Known Member

Most universities are pretty damn good. What difference does it make if there are 40 dumbasses on campus going to make. Does it affect your degree or a degree from law or engineering? Of course not. Get over it and enjoy.

11. ashley

ashley Well-Known Member

Fantastic, I couldn't have said it myself.

12. Scott D

Scott D SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Let's be honest, school has been neutered much in the same way that little league has. Everyone gets a participation trophy, and nobody has to do well.

13. fadada1

Problem comes from those 40 dumbasses not paying a damn thing. Perhaps they won't mind paying off some debt for us non-dumbasses.