1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help me out guys, i have to buy a new tv...

Discussion in 'South Oval' started by stonecoldsoonerfan, Sep 29, 2012.

1. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

That sounds right. Just wanted to add that in, since I've seen some ancient screens (mostly computer monitors) that get images burned on them after years of abuse :D

2. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

Don't know how quick you are looking to get a new TV, but the market is about to go through a pretty big overhaul (similar to tube TVs going away and flat screens coming in). The next generation of TV is the smart TV. Touch screen, internet, wifi, the works. There are already a few out, but the market will be flooded in the next year or so. Personally, I don't need all of that in a TV, but some people want it or will have to have it. In the end, it'll force the overall prices of non-smart TVs down. I'm already seeing prices falling.

3. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

Touch screen TV? Do you mean the remote will have a touch screen, or will couch potatoes be expected to get up out of the lazy boy recliner and touch their TV :D

4. 8timechamps

LOL, both. The way it's supposed to end up is that the TV will replace the need for a computer in the living room. It's also supposed to replace DVD/BluRay. The only thing it won't replace is the console gaming systems. They'll never replace those things.

5. SoonerBBall

SoonerBBall Well-Known Member

I know these are coming, but I can't see that tech actually being ready for prime time for at least 3 years, probably more like 5.

Also, touchscreen TVs are just like 3D TVs. They sound cool, but will never get used and the tech will hopefully die. Touchscreen remotes are a fantastic idea (aside from battery life concerns which could kill them before they even materialize), but no one wants to get close enough to their TV to touch it constantly. It defeats the purpose of sitting on the couch and watching TV.

6. 8timechamps

Yeah, I don't see the touch screen TV being much of a draw, but having a TV capable of downloading movies from Netflix (or just the internet), and being able to play games via the internet is a draw.

Recently Steam (an online game provider) announced the compatibility with internet-friendly TVs. I don't game online, but from what I've heard, this is a great thing for folks that do. My question is how appealing will having the internet on the living room TV really be? That seems to be the driving force behind the technology movement. Isn't that already available via the game consoles?

7. SoonerLaw09

SoonerLaw09 New Member

The smallest plasmas are 42". As far as glare goes, the new models have anti-glare glass on them and while it's not perfect, it does work fairly well. If it bothers you, hang curtains. :)

Burn-in isn't much of a problem any more either. Any good set will have screen protection built in. As long as you don't leave a static image on for hours at a time it will be fine. I get the occasional ghost afterimage from ESPN but it goes away fairly quickly once the set is turned off. I'm also careful with channels that have static high-contrast corner logos. It gives me a good reason to limit the amount of time that my son watches Cartoon Network. :)

8. kbsooner21

kbsooner21 New Member

Samsung has always had the best picture imo.

9. SoonerBBall

No offense, but that isn't even the least bit true. It depends on many factors, most notably the type of TV. Samsung DLPs were the best, bar none. I know because I have one (bought it 6 years ago and it is still going strong) and I did a lot of research before buying. They have very good LCDs, but their LED LCD offerings haven't been the cream of the crop. Panasonic has been widely known to have amazing picture quality for their plasmas, especially when it comes to their deep black levels. Unfortunately, it comes down to a comparison between similarly featured TVs inside their product lines when it comes to best picture discussions. The takeaway, though, is that Samsung and Panasonic both make top-notch plasmas, picture quality wise, and you should pick the TV based on all factors like price, picture quality, size, and additional features. Having the prettiest picture doesn't do you any good if the TV doesn't do everything else you wanted it to do.

10. GDC

GDC New Member

Like I said, I really like my Samsung plasma.

11. sooneron

sooneron Soonerfans.com Elitist

12. sooneron

sooneron Soonerfans.com Elitist

13. Flagstaffsooner

Flagstaffsooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Dont get a plasma if you live at a high elevation.

Bought a 55" RCA LED at Walmart.com for a great price. I LUV IT!

14. stonecoldsoonerfan

stonecoldsoonerfan New Member

would you guys recommend the extended warranty coverage on this? is it worth it? seems like the ones that i've seen are $3-400.-.

15. okiewaker

okiewaker New Member

I've never bought the extended warranty but that's just me. Others may say differently. LED, 120hz, 1080p in any brand should be good, IMO. I stay clear of Best Buy.

16. stonecoldsoonerfan

stonecoldsoonerfan New Member

that goes without saying...

17. SoonerBBall

Honestly, extended warranties are just money grabs. As long as you do your research, you should be picking a quality tv from a reputable company. It will also come with a 3 to 12 month manufacturer's warranty. If you have a defective unit the odds are heavily in your favor that the defects will appear in that time frame. Outside of that it is just random, but heavily weighted in your favor, if your unit will have an issue.

Short answer : say no to extended warranties