1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hawkeyes will travel. Will the Sooners?

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by rock on sooner, Dec 5, 2011.

1. SoonerMom2

SoonerMom2 New Member

My brother and I were in Phoenix last year for the Fiesta Bowl and after sleeping on it we decided we will leave Denver where we are celebrating a 2nd Christmas with my two young granddaughters for Tempe. He will be coming up from Orlando as we head west once again. Hope it is warmer this time. Hope Denver gets no snow for Christmas so we can get there with no problem.

2. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

The (ultra) early forecast says a white Christmas, but don't sweat it, the airport rarely has issues with snow....they're built for it. The last time I had any issues was for the 07 Fiesta Bowl, as we had just gotten a big snow. I think my flight to Phoenix was about 20 minutes late leaving (and it was the first flight to AZ that day).

3. oudavid1

oudavid1 @DavidLeake

4. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I suppose I can drive the 10 miles or so from my abode to Sun Devil stadium on the 30th of Dec. Wish it wasn't so effing late at night...

5. SanJoaquinSooner

SanJoaquinSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Ironic that we whipped Texas and finished 9-3 vs their 7-5 yet they get to go to San Diego while we stuck with lower tier Arizona.

6. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I wish the Big 12 Champion would go to the Holiday Bowl. Make it a BCS bowl instead of the Univ of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale AZ. Heck, change the name to Fiesta Bowl if need be.

7. rock on sooner

rock on sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

After reading all the replies to my post, I can only say that at least some are "fair weather" fans and some are still loyal.
    If the "fair weather" fans rule, then I can say with certainty that OU will not reach the 10 win mark, assuming fan support
    (or lack there of) means anything. Hawkeye fans will be rockin'....just sayin'.

8. Curly Bill

Curly Bill I'm a shootist

Fair weather fans? The current in vogue term is bandwagon fans, so get it right.

9. rock on sooner

rock on sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

[Excuuuuuse me, but you DID get my point....UOTE=Curly Bill;3420630]Fair weather fans? The current in vogue term is bandwagon fans, so get it right.[/QUOTE]

10. cleller

cleller SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Yep, this could look bad.

11. BigJerm7

BigJerm7 New Member

Been twice. I dig the area, and I'd go, but time and money are 2 things I don't have much of this year.

12. oudanny

oudanny New Member

I went last year and froze my azz off. I'm a season ticket holder and tired of watching this defense lay down and Landry **** down his pant leg. I went to the senior day game out of respect for the seniors. It was an ugly day and an ugly game. I've shown my support. I'm going to Dallas this year for the Armed Services Bowl. Cheaper and closer to home.

13. King Barry's Back

King Barry's Back New Member

I live in Germany.

No way, no how I am making it to freaking AZ for a bowl game, or anything else.

Sad to see so many Sooners blowing off the game, but frankly, I can't see much reason for anybody to go.

"Fairweather, bandwagon" fans are not going to be very excited about playing a "meh" opponent in the Afterthought.com Bowl.

And die-hards are not going to be very excited about playing a "meh" opponent in the Afterthought.com Bowl, when they've already made three trips to PHX and can expect to make more in the future.

It is what it is. A mid-tier bowl. Some schools (like Iowa) are thrilled to play in those. Oklahoma is not. So be it.

14. TXBOOMER

TXBOOMER New Member

I am not going this year. I'm just not going to eat those expenses for a spare game. I would have for the Fiesta.

15. SoonerorLater

SoonerorLater Well-Known Member

Well if the TOTAL ..... DOMINANCE......HOUR is correct then we can expect about 3000 fans to show up.

16. cccasooner2

cccasooner2 New Member

Rumor has it that Stoops and his staff are picking up the tab for the shortfall. They thought it was the least they could do for disappointing the fans.

17. soonerboy_odanorth

soonerboy_odanorth New Member

"H*ll!" and "No!"

we won't go

18. MamaMia

MamaMia Moderator

My family only budgets for BCS Bowls.

Sooner in Tampa likes this.
  19. Mississippi Sooner

Mississippi Sooner New Member

I won't be going, but if someone could bring me back a corndog, that'd be great.

20. TheHumanAlphabet

TheHumanAlphabet SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Having OU to buy lots of tickets that can't be sold will say more to the admin than anything else anyone could think of. People will likely stay home this year.