1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got another DT commitment last night...

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by VA Sooner, Jan 13, 2013.

1. VA Sooner

VA Sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

2. Soonerjeepman

Soonerjeepman SoonerFans.com Elite Member

North Texas and Houston, New Mexico...

sorry if I don't get over enthused. Not bashing the kid, we'll see.

3. birddog

birddog SoonerFans.com Elite Member

pffffft. got a long way to go before we can get excited about the players we're bringing in.

4. freshchris05

freshchris05 New Member

Jeepman, do you not like the name Charles or something? You're not bashing this kid in like 3 threads. Have you checked out his film? He has talent and size, it's past injuries that have his offer cupboard unimpressive. Let's hope he comes in with a chip.

5. picasso

picasso SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Good lord, you said the same on the recruiting board. Weak.

6. budbarrybob

budbarrybob New Member

I'm glad we have someone that is a DT recruit. But... yeah I have to agree with SJM. Not gonna get excited about a recruit that we're competing with NT, Houston and NM to get.

7. Curly Bill

Curly Bill I'm a shootist

You forgot Texas State!

8. OUNASH

OUNASH New Member

I have been bashing this recruiting class just like everyone else, however, I hope they prove all of us wrong and bring to OU what we have been missing heart and a love for all things OU. Seems like alot of the kids we have brought in the last several years are more concerned about getting to the NFL. Heres hoping these klids can help bring number 8 to OU.

9. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

This class is fine. Not the best Stoops has landed (although it's not over yet), nor is it the worst. It's impossible to know how a recruit will turn out until he gets a chance to play. Personally, I think Walker will be a solid player, but we probably won't see him until after his redshirt year.

10. SoonerDood

SoonerDood New Member

Wasn't Bob's most highly ranked class the one we got in 03? that one sure turned out well...

11. goingoneight

goingoneight I said Biiiiiiiitch--

The most-hyped recruiting classes were the 2003, 2004 and 2008 classes. As for the ones fans were angry or unimpressed with 1999, 2000, 2006.

I distinctly remember a bunch of angry fans mouthing off in 2006 because we "settled" for Sam Bradford and Joey Halzle instead of landing Mitch Mustain, Jevan Snead, Tim Tebow and Matthew Stafford. We "struck out" so badly that we ended up with a Heisman Trophy Winner and a solid 3-year backup.

A player is a player as far as I'm concerned right now. I'm sorry, but 5 stars left and right doesn't excite me. Sure, it's great to get Jameel Owens, Dejuan Miller and Josh Jarboe on NSD... but four years later when two of them never saw the field and one never cracked 500 yards receiving in a weak conference like the BIG 12? Gimme anybody who fits the mold of what we need for now and let them work for it-- whether they're 5-star ADs or 3-star Sam Bradfords. Aaron Colvin is a prime example of this.

12. Soonerjeepman

LOL...show me where I said anything bashing? all I said was OU is competing against schools like NM, Houston, NT, Txstate for this kid and I am not getting excited about this guy. I actually asked both 75 and 8time what their opinion was IF you actually read my message.

I questioned OU recruiting against these schools and not the big boys. I also said I know we've had success with 3 star guys but I was GOING TO WAIT til he played. Obviously I hope he pans out. I honestly don't get too excited about recruiting, just responding to the hub-bub about it.

Never said one thing bad about him..just for your info.

13. Soonerjeepman

see above post..could care less what you think...you forgot the word "sauce"..

14. Soonerjeepman

could care-less about "stars"....yes I agree some 3 star guys turn out better than 4/5 star guys. All I said was not getting excited...honestly about any recruits til they play.

I do question recruiting against the likes of Houston, NM, NT, texas st...I know some guys are not highly recruited. We'll see.

15. Curly Bill

Don't worry about it jeep. Some peeps forget this is a message board where we are supposed to discuss things if we're so inclined. Some folks feel if you're not drinking the Kool Aid you're not a true fan, shouldn't post "bad thoughts," etc...Ignore them, or better yet make fun of them.

16. 8timechamps

The example I typically use to ease the "nobody else recruited him" concern is Quinton Carter, he had interest from UCLA and Oregon State, but no offers. After OU offered, the PAC 12 teams rushed in to offer, but Q had already committed. There are tons of players out there with similar circumstances, Q is just a more recent example, and a guy everyone remembers. He ended up being pretty darn good. (and DAMN do I wish he was healthy for the Broncos last night!).

17. Curly Bill

Football coaches are the biggest sheep there are, so it's no surprise that when a program like OU offers someone that other programs jump on board and do the same, or at least strongly consider it. And I'm glad the Broncos lost!

8timechamps likes this.
  18. 8timechamps

You a$$.

Curly Bill likes this.
  19. Curly Bill

Sorry, I just didn't think I could take any more Peyton Manning is the greatest thing since sliced bread talk. And besides, the Ravens were the underdog and all things being equal I'll pull for the underdog.

20. picasso

picasso SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Yet you replied to my comment. Weak.