1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FOX Sports 1

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by EatLeadCommie, Jul 18, 2013.

1. EatLeadCommie

EatLeadCommie New Member

For years now, I've been saying that FOX should create an alternative to ESPN's monopoly of sports news and spin. Thankfully, that is going to become a reality on August 17. Looking forward to something new. The video for the launch is pretty cool

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsports1

2. SoonerKnight

SoonerKnight Well-Known Member

I can see Fox pushing the Big 12-2 as they have a financial interest.

3. SoonerNomad

SoonerNomad New Member

While I don't share the growing disdain for everything ESPN, I believe it can only benefit the sports fan, such as me, to have more options to choose from. I hope they do a good job.

4. EatLeadCommie

EatLeadCommie New Member

No doubt, but as far as I'm concerned, the more fish in the sea of nationwide sports, the better. Even a single addition, however opinionated it may be, has to be better than the monopoly of ESPN.

5. budbarrybob

budbarrybob New Member

I'm happy someone Finally listened to you!

6. soonerinabilene

soonerinabilene Fish Sticks

Hopefully its more successful than cnnsi was.

7. reflector

reflector Well-Known Member

The Ultimate Fighter is moving to Fox Sports 1. I am sure I will watch it more than ESPN from day 1.

8. swardboy

swardboy SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Love the USC/OU segment of the commercial.

9. Ruf/Nek7

Ruf/Nek7 New Member

I would like to see them team up with the likes od Yahoo! I love when they scoop a story or rumor and ESPiN has to say " first reported by Yahoo" after it already aired on anotuer sports network.

10. smooth3d

smooth3d New Member

Good another sports channel to take on espin!

11. jkjsooner

jkjsooner New Member

It could hurt in one respect. It's one more channel we have to buy to see all of OU's games.

It's almost like they spread the games over as many channels as possible to squeeze more and more money out of us. I can't say that's intentional when we're on different networks but I do think ESPN intentionally does this to force people to buy each of the ESPN channels.

12. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

Meh, Uverse already forces me to have Bevo TV, and I never watched the network its replacing (Speed, I think?) so... yeah

Also, I am fairly certain our OU/Fox contract calls for a PPV game EVERY football season. Not FS1, not Fox Sports Oklahoma, Pay Per View. This year it's UL-Monroe.

13. Lott's Bandana

Lott's Bandana SoonerFans.com Elite Member

CBS Sports and NBC Sports have improved significantly over the last coupla years. NBC's Stanley Cup broadcasts were excellent. Fox might do a good jorb and they do seem to acknowledge The Heartland.

Anything to get away from the constant, LaBron/Lakers/Tebow/Sox-Yanks/East Coast (NE/NY)/Soccer(?) snorkel-fest that is the WWL.

14. Mac94

Mac94 New Member

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2013/07/15/Media/FS1.aspx

Hopefully this gets all worked out before football season.

15. Lott's Bandana

Lott's Bandana SoonerFans.com Elite Member

16. HToady

HToady New Member

Erin Andrew's nasaly yankee voice is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

If someone would just stick something in her mouth, she'd be fine

17. stoopified

stoopified SoonerFans.com Elite Member

She TALKS? :)

Seriously I couldn't tell you what her voice sounds like.

18. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

This is really the first time someone has stepped up to ESPN, and brought enough clout to even the playing field. Fox has plenty of experience with how sports programming works (after years of their regional programming), and they actually bring in live events that folks will watch in masses (NFL, MLB, BCS football, etc.). The real challenge will be what Fox brings in addition to their live sports coverage.

ESPN has become a shout-fest in their daily programming (First Take, Numbers Never Lie, SportsNation, etc.), and while I'm sure people watch that, I personally can't stand that kind of stuff. So, I expect Fox 1 will have their share of that kind of stuff, I'm really hoping they bring some actual coverage of events to the table (similar to SportsCenter).

ESPN has been able to get away with doing what they want, how they want, when they want for a long time. What has been the result? The Longhorn Network (part of the undoing of the old Big XII), SEC bias, and (in my opinion) entirely too much sway in the way college football is run. A "news" organization should never be allowed to be that involved.

My hope is that Fox 1 will even the playing field and provide an option for those of us fed up with ESPN.

Mixer! likes this.
  19. budbarrybob

budbarrybob New Member

Let me offer my services. ;)

20. picasso

picasso SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I saw that last night. Sweet!