1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

first song that turned you on to music

Discussion in 'South Oval' started by King Crimson, May 29, 2011.

1. King Crimson

King Crimson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

i was lucky in a way, my parents were young for my age group....they listened to the Beatles, Ray Charles, James Brown...my parents saw the Godfather of Soul at the OKC Fairgrounds in the late 60's...they counted themselves as about 10 white people there.

and i grew up with all that...Sly and the Fam Stone, Beatles Help!, Stones Flowers, and Neil Young Harvest....they weren't listening to Freddy Fender or some shizz.

but really the song that turned me onto music *on my own* was the Who: Bargain. i remember hearing that on the radio....and just going "hell ****ing yeah".

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  2. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

"on my own"?

i think it might have been Def Leppard - Photograph on Headbanger's Ball. later hearing Riki Ractman talk about being forced to play Def Leppard it's a little embarrassing :O

in the car, my mom always listened to KRAV (96.5 in Tulsa) and i kinda grew up with stuff like Chicago, The Eagles, Eddie Rabbit, Christopher Cross, Fleetwood Mac, Hall and Oates, etc...

3. SoonerBread

SoonerBread New Member

Parents' influence - "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight" by Genesis.

"on my own" - Have a Cigar by Pink Floyd

4. GKeeper316

GKeeper316 New Member

round and round by ratt.

honest. thats the song that got me playing drums.

5. Blue

Blue SoonerFans.com Elite Member

round and round by tevin campell. ;)

6. King Crimson

round and round was a great tune....among the better hair metal tunes.

7. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

i had hot teenage daughters of my mom's friends that introduced me to the Ratts and Bon Jovis of the world

8. King Crimson

i've done my hair metal concession so far. bargain was 10 years old the first time i heard it.

hot teenage daughters of my mom's friends is prolly not something you want to google.

9. King Crimson

on the drvin and cryin thing:

i always liked this one from their first LP...

[youtube]WktN2qdvPLQ[/youtube]

Blue likes this.
  10. olevetonahill

olevetonahill Well-Known Member

what can I say
    [youtube]_qnXPlqhIf0[/youtube]

Flagstaffsooner likes this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I remember pops jamming out to Van Halen's "jump". first recollection of music, and I liked it

12. pphilfran

pphilfran SoonerFans.com Elite Member

[youtube]WwLdyIdY6U8[/youtube]

13. C&CDean

C&CDean Administrator

Dang, y'all are babies. My dad never rocked out to anything. K-HOSS was his deal back in the early 60's. Hank Williams, Marty Robbins, etc. I like mom's music better. She played Herb Alpert, Dean Martin, Sinatra, etc.

On my own? The Beatles "Please Please Me" album. I Saw Her Standing There, Love Me Do, Do You Wanna Know a Secret, Twist and Shout. All greatness.

When I started to get my stoner on, I moved on to Creedence, Zeppelin, Grand Funk, Deep Purple, Allman Bros., early Pink Floyd (Dark Side of the Moon was one of the best concerts I've ever seen), Alice Cooper, Blood Sweat & Tears, Rare Earth, etc.

I've never owned a Rolling Stone album in my entire life though. They've never done it for me.

14. texaspokieokie

texaspokieokie New Member

My parents would've been 100 (Mom) & 115(Dad)this year.
    they probly liked Big Band" stuff. i really don't remember. They've been gone for over 30 yrs.

first music heard was probly "rock-a-bye baby".

15. texaspokieokie

texaspokieokie New Member

Herb Alpert had some really good stuff.

16. JohnnyMack

JohnnyMack SoonerFans.com Elite Member

My older sister brought home Duran Duran's Seven and the Ragged Tiger when I was 8. That was the first time I remember being wowed by music. My dad never did (and still doesn't) listen to much music. My mom was more of an Anne Murray and Little River Band fan. So I'll go with The Reflex.

17. C&CDean

C&CDean Administrator

Duran Duran? This explains soooooooo much.

18. pphilfran

pphilfran SoonerFans.com Elite Member

My parents listened to Herb Alpert...big sis listened to the early Beatles...I guess even at an early age those early Beatles weren't heavy enough for me...Steppenwolf was my early favorite...also Ten Years After...

19. C&CDean

C&CDean Administrator

Ten. Years. Afftaahhh!! I saw them somewhere (stoner days). Alvin Lee was in his prime. Goin' Home is still one of my favorite tunes. It should be on dude's drive to Canada list for sure.

20. JohnnyMack

JohnnyMack SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Hell you're so old you remember when JS Bach's Sonata in D Major was all the rage.