1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ESPN: Big 12 will not be saved....

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Soonermagik, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Soonermagik

Soonermagik New Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5284375

The departure of Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State to the Pac-10 is imminent, four sources within the Big 12 said Monday.

One source said commissioner Dan Beebe's last-minute plan to save the conference has "zero" chance to succeed. Another source said it is "very unlikely" to succeed.

Texas' interests in being aligned with the research opportunities and academic missions of Pac-10 schools is driving the decision, along with money.

Beebe's last-ditch plan included an emotional plea about preserving rivalries and maintaining the best welfare of the student-athlete, one source said.

Texas A&M is now most likely to join the SEC, a source within the Big 12 said. This move, in the wake of Colorado and Nebraska's departure, would further diminish the chance of Beebe's plan succeeding, one source said.

Texas' decision is expected to come no later than Tuesday. One source familiar with Texas' plans suggested a hearing on Wednesday at the Texas House of Representatives is "a nonfactor."

2. MyT Oklahoma

MyT Oklahoma New Member

I just saw that one myself a few minutes ago.

So like is anyone else feeling the same way I am in that I can't wait for the 2010 season to start so we can kick the snot (so to speak) out of anyone and everyone who crosses our path?

I am in such a foul mood right now. Missouri.. dead. Colorado.. dead. Nebraska.. dead. Texas A & M.. dead.

3. rawlingsHOH

rawlingsHOH New Member

Joe Schad sturggles.

4. sooner518

sooner518 New Member

Chip Brown seems to be saying the opposite.... that Texas WILL commit to a 10 member Big 12.... please tell me this is NOT true. I think this is the worst of all the options for us. The Big 12 is dead.
    http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1094038

5. NormanPride

NormanPride SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Yes, Texas will commit to a 10 member Big 12, but A&M is gone. So that's 9. Sorry, Beebeebee, you need 10 teams to live.

6. SoonerMom2

SoonerMom2 New Member

It would be a horrible decision to stick with the Big 12 with Bebee promising Texas the moon. A 10-team Big 12 would get us nowhwere.

7. Mad Dog Madsen

Mad Dog Madsen New Member

Why??? This whole thing is about money and a 10 member Big 12 would actually bring in LESS... Let's just move on to the mega Pac-16 and just get this thing over with.

8. PrideTrombone

PrideTrombone New Member

Yup... if Texas wants a 10-team conference where they get all the power, then A&M and we need to tell them to STFU and we can go to the SEC. My preference is still for the Pac-16, but our second choice needs to be SEC, not a depleted Big 12.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  9. Sooner in Tampa

Sooner in Tampa SoonerFans.com Elite Member

TUCK Fexas!!! They just a conference where they can push everybody around. They will will not be able to do it in the Pac $ or Big $$...and they damn sure can't do it in the $EC!

It too late for the the shortwhorns now...they are not going to be the big bad a$$ that dictates everthing

NEVERMORE

10. Soonez

Soonez New Member

^^^^^^^^^
    this!

11. JohnnyMack

JohnnyMack SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I think this is posturing by Texas. They say they're committed to staying now that the word is out that A&M is leaving. Now Texas can say that they tried to salvage the league but that they can't stay now that Aggie is gone.

12. SoonerMom2

SoonerMom2 New Member

Exactly! Blame it on someone else -- they have that down pat!

13. Sooner in Tampa

Sooner in Tampa SoonerFans.com Elite Member

The bugeaters are good at it too!!

14. SoonerMom2

SoonerMom2 New Member

Nebraska who hates Texas has the same mantra -- not our fault -- you are correct. That display by Osborne was sickening as he pointed fingers at everyone who was still in the conference for breaking it up.

15. MrJimBeam

MrJimBeam New Member

......NEIDERMEYER......

OUDoc likes this.
  16. SoonerMom2

SoonerMom2 New Member

New information at the ESPN link -- watch the video -- this is a done deal as Texas has already told the PAC 10 they are coming. Schad just got off the phone with four schools to confirm the Bebee plan is dead. He has been toild by four schools that they are headed to the PAC 10.

Also saying that A&M will be going to the SEC as they have the votes.

Very interesting report that was updated a short time ago at http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5284375

17. ndpruitt03

ndpruitt03 New Member

This smells like posturing from Texas to me. A&M will go to the SEC and they know it so they will say, well we were going to keep it if there was 10 teams.

18. JohnnyMack

JohnnyMack SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Yeah. Hmm, wonder where I've heard that concept before?

19. SoonerMom2

SoonerMom2 New Member

It was pure posturing as according to ESPN, Texas has already told the PAC 10 they are coming to their conference.

Have a lot of respect for Pres Boren and Joe Castigleone for handling all of this with pure class. They knew when to keep their mouths shut.

20. OULenexaman

OULenexaman New Member

damnit man!!! someone just pull the the goddamn plug!!!