1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Draft Signees

Discussion in 'Sooner Baseball, Softball, etc.' started by IndySooner, Jun 15, 2011.

1. northspeter

northspeter New Member

bubba starling also signed at the end..

2. rysooner

rysooner New Member

Not really good results for us from this years draft. Lost 6 of 10 recruits and two returning guys we didn't need to lose at all. Of course, didn't expect to get all the recruits on campus, but we did lose three that I had hope we might get.

Anyone know Ty Washington's story? Why would a 43rd round pick guy be hard to get to school?

3. bcolston15

bcolston15 New Member

He was double signed with San Jacinto, OU was never in his plans.

I saw that his bonus was $300,000. That's amazing for a 43rd round pick.

4. TumbleweedDoom

TumbleweedDoom New Member

Meh. I may be showing my sportswriter roots here, but until I see a historical comparison of recruiting classes and the amount that don't make it on campus, as an average, then I can't get too depressed about this outcome.

Also, I don't have any statistical evidence here, but it seems we signed more guys that were drafted higher than ever before. If that's the case, then that would have to be figured into the final results of who went pro and who didn't. If you sign a bunch of guys drafted after the 30th round, then obviously the percentage of guys you get on campus is going to be higher than if you did like OU this year and have a bevy of guys signed who were drafted BEFORE the 20th round.

Anyhoo, basically I don't think any conclusions can be reached on this one way or another. Obviously, we would have LIKED to get those guys on campus, but maybe we look at it in that we got a few of those guys on campus and now we can fill in the remaining spots with other last-second recruits now -- guys that we could have easily signed last year and then managed to keep after this draft and everyone would have been doing backflips on "how many guys we're going to get on campus from this recruiting class."

5. rysooner

rysooner New Member

I really dislike the double signing. Guess that signing bonus explains why Sunny wanted to get him on campus so bad. Am I wrong, or does next year begin the slot money rules so that kind of thing will stop?

6. oldtimer

oldtimer New Member

Has anyone heard who SG and Tadlock has found to fill the missing holes in the Sooner roster? I sure hope they've been busy out scouting this summer. Contrary to likes of Mr. Tumbleweed and colston, 10 weeks ago (6/9/11) I highlighted what I thought to be the expected results of the mlb draft on our 2011 squad. Saying we'd lose 6 of the new recruits, that too was slapped with skepticism:

4 of the 5 starting infield is gone. My prediction is Ogle, Buechele, Seitzer will sign, and Ellis graduated. '10 Starting Pitching staff reduced by 50% with Burch signing and others graduating. Ellison sounds like he's gone as well and some won't be invited back. That's makes at least 15 players to be replaced or about 80% of the starters.

The power hitters remaining White, Stitch, and Reine provided 9 of the team's 41 bombs in 2011 (22%). That's what I meant about the "offensive cupboard being bare". Can't predict outcomes from players not on campus.

Another prediction - half of Tadlock's 12 HS recruits will sign. That's why his summer won't be much of a vacation while he searches for non-commited JUCO and HS players to fill these voids, particularly RH pitching

Although that info was hard for some to accept. Others like hvhurricane and myself said - yes, talented Juniors are expected to leave, but others will leave growing tired of the drama. Heck, even our beloved sportscaster, Chuck Kelly has departed indicating he too may have tired of working with SG. And please don't starting throwing the SG hate-tag around. I'm not a SG hater, as a fan I do however, hold the Sooner head coach accountable. The results are what they are. The summer aftermath has the 2011 roster of 35 dropping to 18-20 with a handful of players not invited back. That leaves openings for about 15-18 or a 50% turn-over.

Still preaching we need a lot of RH pitching and some battle tested players to be competitive in the Big 12 next year. Haven't heard nor seen much from SG to raise my spirit. Whether we like it or not, Sooners will be re-building, not re-loading. It would be realy great to see some players picked up out of places other than Weatherford and Howard for a change. I think our coaches should extend their arms a little further to baseball rich places like Houston, Corpus Christi, SA, and even over to Louisiana, Georgia, and FL. Takes work, but possible.

Time for a new thread, Mr. Indy - maybe something like: "Journey to 2012" ... looking for the who, what, and why of new players coming to campus.

7. northspeter

northspeter New Member

that's it... we should quit baseball...

8. perryj

perryj New Member

There will probably be an official release from the University this week with the newcomers listed and there will be a couple of names on there that should be a very pleasant surprise.

9. TumbleweedDoom

Oldtimer's post has absolutely hit the pinnacle of dumbbass. I'm sorry for such harsh language, but that's the most idiotic post I ever read. Even the other SG haters at least bring SOMETHING to the table ... oldtimer just brings dumb. He absolutely has zero insight on how things work and then comes on here to pat himself on the back for something that everyone else agreed could possible happen ... but weren't too overly concerned because it's the nature of the sport ... something he obviously doesn't and can't understand. Then he makes other idiotic statements that anyone in the know absolutely understands are FACTUALLY NOT TRUE.

OMG. I could go on and on. But seriously, oldtimer has just won the "Stupidest Post in Soonerfans History." Which puts him in the running for stupidest post in the world.

10. IndySooner

IndySooner New Member

Here's what I know (or what I'm pretty sure I know in a couple of cases) in response to Oldtimer's post:

1. When Ogle got drafted in the 9th round, it sealed the deal for him. Was he fed up with the drama? Probably. Anyone would have been. That said, it wasn't a done deal until he got drafted so high.

2. Burch wanted to go pro. Bottom line.

3. Seitzer and Buechele were gone. Foregone conclusion.

4. Ellison was getting passed up on the roster.

5. Our signing class was a better class than we've had in years. We were bound to lose a few of them.

THAT SAID........

1. I have confirmed that the coaches had a plan and are working the plan. There are guys coming in that will make people smile for sure. One that is a GREAT get that I have confirmed from two good sources, but one doesn't want me to let the name out, so I'll honor that wish.

2. College baseball has always had a ton of turnover. It will be dampened a bit by the transfer rules, but there will still always be a lot of turnover when you're talking about partial scholarships and walk-ons. That's the bottom line.

3. This program is still moving in the right direction. Will it stay that way? Who knows. It's moving the right direction, though.

We return Overton and John in the rotation. That's a solid foundation. We have to replace Ogle, Seitzer and Buechele in the lineup. That's tough. We'll be solid on the mound this year, it will just be a matter of whether we can score runs.

11. TumbleweedDoom

Good post Indy -- I'm surprised you managed to use the energy to response to oldtimer.

On your points, just to reiterate:

1. The fact Ogle wavered until freaking August surprised me. When a guy gets drafted in the single-digit rounds after his junior year, I'd say about 99 percent of them sign pretty quickly. The fact Ogle was even considering coming back shows there isn't as much drama running around our programs as the haters want to lead us to believe.

2. We were lucky to get Burch on campus LAST YEAR, must less keep him around again. And the fact he waited so long to sign ... well, see my above statement about Ogle.

3. Seitzer and Buechele WERE absolutely long gone ... anyone who thought different was an idiot.

4. I'm not so sure about your theory on this one Indy, as I think Ellison absolutely starts next season. But, from my understanding, he got a buffo signing bonus for being in such a late round and, considering he wouldn't have leverage next year as a senior, then whammo, he's gone and understandably so.

5. Thank you Indy -- now will someone grab a mallet and beat oldtimer on the head with this statement???!!! We had one of the best signing classes ever just judging by where they were drafted ... so OBVIOUSLY we're going to lose more than we usually do. We usually sign guys taken in the 25th and higher range. The fact we had so many drafted this year earlier than the 20th round says to me this program is trying to take the next step. Of course, oldtimer just fell asleep halfway through this post ... someone put a mirror under his nose and make sure he's alive.

And for your last few points, I've heard the same thing about good late signees coming in. THAT'S WHAT A GOOD PROGRAM DOES. It's Tadlock's job -- I'm not going to cry crocodile tears because Tadlock actually had to go sign a few guys late here. For some reason, oldtimer is worried about Tadlock working too hard. I guess he's among the same people who absolutely guaranteed me OVER AND OVER Tadlock would be gone by this time of the year.

Our big question is pitching rotation: we lost every weekend starter. But there's a lot of talent there. And, if I remember correctly, the last time we lost every weekend starter ... well, that was right before the 2010 season. You know ... where we ended up in the CWS?.

12. bcolston15

bcolston15 New Member

As usual, Indy is right on. I think people will be very happy about some of the late signees we picked up. Actually, I think some of the guys we lost were replaced with better prospects. Hiring Aric Thomas is already paying off, in more ways than one.

The pitching staff looks to be very strong going into the fall...

13. TumbleweedDoom

Overton and John are always mentioned as the key returnees on the pitching staff, and rightfully so. But I really like the Steven Bruce kid. I also like the way Kindle Ladd progressed during the season: he took his lumps early, then didn't play for a long time to get straightened out, and looked really good when he returned to some regular action later in the year. It's kids like that to keep an eye on long-term as they tend to only get better and better.

14. oldtimer

oldtimer New Member

1st a reply to Tumbleweed. I played and been around the game of college baseball long before you started to wear pants. Your replies to my posts are nothing more than juvenile facebook rants. You're so quick to call me a dumbass, but offer absolutely no meaningful comments to support your case. Every sentence in my posting had forethought. Which part was incorrect or dumb? Was 18 of 35 players not returning not a 50% turnover, is Chuck Kelly still around, is 80% of our starters from last year not gone? Is OU not returning only 3 extra base hitters with more than 50 ABs? I tried to avoid speculating Why draftees would leave, I offered only a bottomline expectation. hvhurricane did provide some insightful opinions on others not returning. Back on 6/9, you called my post the "dumbest of all year" as if to maybe sound intelligent. You, Indy, or colston had an opportunity to say who you thought would go or return and why. Instead you sat on your *** and offered no meaningful input - only to call me names or a SG hater. I said OK - father time will prove who's dumb. You really should take some advice and understand the definition of words you misuse so routinely. Doing so - by Webster definition - is an expression of ignorance. Unlike yourself, most of here don't want to read your ramblings.

2nd a reply to Indy. I began my last post with a open request for info on late recruits filling the large holes in the OU roster. Your reply seemed to be an attempt to justify WHY each player didn't return (10 weeks later), as to offer some speculative insight. Heaven forbid, someone else had a guess in June... I had to smile about your comments about Ogle and Smith. Only 4 weeks ago, you were adamant about them not being signed yet. Maybe it's that past sports writer in you telling others you shouldn't write something if it hasn't already happened... Suppose it's easier to be correct that way. Your recent post above however, gives one the impression you really believed Ogle and Smith would be gone. Where was that conviction back in June? Still confused why new recruit info can't be reported. It's not like in a week, their names won't show up on campus. Unlike weedofdoom, your posts do sometimes provide some timely info.

As far Ogle signing late, some members here failed to recall the uniqueness surrounding who drafted him. The Dodgers suspended new negotiations with their '11 draftees in late June when McCourt filed for bankruptcy. They signed what was in the pipeline, but Ogle couldn't have signed in July even if he had wanted to. It took a month for the courts, MLB, and McCourt lawyers to let the dust settle. Dodgers resumed negotiations with '11 draftees in early August. See, old guys can pay attention.

I expressed concern of where OU recruits may be found this late in the process. Finding quality baseball players not already committed elsewhere in July is difficult at best. I wasn't concerned about Tadlock working harder. My concern was him or the new coach taking an easy "drag the JUCO pond" path and limiting that search to Weatherford and Howard. Still interested in seeing info about new recruits. Wasn't interested in reading facebook rants.

15. bcolston15

bcolston15 New Member

I'll be the first to admit I truly believed Ogle would be back, and, that the drama in the clubhouse at the end of last season contributed to him not returning. With that said, no one else was expected to be back. (Unless you count Ellison)

Going into SG's 7th full season, if you don't know how it works by now, or continue to complain about it why it works like it does, you're clueless. Most of the players don't like him. Some of the parents don't either. Big deal. He wins, and he always will, so get used to him.

And please, stop acting like we won't have talent. We've got some late signings that will turn heads. A 13th round pick of the Yankees, a solid Texas prep arm and a couple more impressive guys.

16. northspeter

northspeter New Member

maybe you weren't interested in reading others... but you damn sure like posting some of your own... it's a whole lot of drivel... as the oldtimer that you are, you should know damn well about baseball turnover year after year... it's a staple of the college game... you keep making obvious observations like (we'll have lots of turnover...) you're gonna need a rotator cuff surgery pronto, from all the patting of you're own back... we've got good coaches, and they bring in good players every year... i suspect we'll keep playing ball and winning this next season too...

17. IndySooner

IndySooner New Member

I thought Ogle would be back. Really thought the female thing would keep him here. I now have heard that he knew he was gone in June. No one else was a surprise.

I am not saying the recruits names because I promised I wouldn't. It is as simple as that.

18. TumbleweedDoom

The posts keep getting dumber and dumber. Oldtimer obviously played in the leather helmet or actual peach basket days of baseball because his understanding of the game is circumspect at best.

19. TheresOnlyOne

TheresOnlyOne New Member

What was the drama with Ogle? And why do the players not like Sunny?

20. takingastand

takingastand New Member

Love how when ANYTHING is said that you disagree with you attack the person instead of just using facts to state your case. Then again, most of your attacks on oldtimer aren't backed with facts... just opinions. If anyone expresses anything other then blind love and adoration for SG they are a hater or a dumb***?