1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deondre Clark to LSU

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by jdsooner, Feb 5, 2014.

1. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

And LSU fans don't just eat corn dogs because they're weird, it's all they can afford to eat.

As such, a hearty apology to Deondre Clark and the rest of his new LSU family :p

2. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

Mine too.

What's funny is that this all came from the parents (the ones that probably sucked at sports in their own youth). I coached both of my boys in youth baseball in their very early years (tee-ball through about 10), and even in the tee-ball games (where the league didn't "keep score"), 90% of the kids on the team knew exactly what the score was and what their record was at the end of the year.

If parents don't want their kids to get their little feelings hurt, then don't put them in a competition. Also, nevermind the life lessons that come along with winning and losing.

3. KantoSooner

KantoSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

We could, and probably will, over-analyze it, but there's surely something odd that started in the 80's with the helicopter parenting thing. And endless programmed 'activities', the whole soccer mom thing. It does a kid good to get their own butt to practice and to walk home in the cold as it's getting dark in the winter. Gives mom time for afternoon cocktails with the girls, too. Everyone's a winner!

4. picasso

picasso SoonerFans.com Elite Member

The PC crap is rooted in the 90's.

5. KantoSooner

Maybe, but I can remember bitching about it in the early 80's.
    (I thought it was a new concept then, but as a college student I figured my cohorts and I had probably invented almost everything of intellectual worth; so it may have deeper roots.)

6. Scott D

Scott D SoonerFans.com Elite Member

meh, humility is for wimps who get trophies at the end of the season for participation :p

7. SoonerGM

SoonerGM New Member

i agree with not giving trophies to losers etc, but having kids walk around on their own right now is not a good idea. especially with oklahoma being a major hub for human/sex trafficing. but i do get your point and agree, parents need to teach thier kids how to be independant and think on their own. let them experience how good it feels to earn something with hard work and putting forth effort as opposed to getting everything they want for simply being born in to the world.

8. KantoSooner

GM, you may be right, but I see little evidence that life is all that much more dangerous today than it was 25 or 50 years ago. Every generation of parents seems to run around waving their hands in the air about how the world suddenly began to teem with deviant child molesters....coincidentally about the time they decided to spawn.

Don't talk to strangers
    Come straight home
    Cops are your friends
    Stay in lighted areas
    There really are bears in the woods
    The world is not about you, keep your head on a swivel and know what's going on around you.
    When in doubt beat cheeks out of there. Now. And dump your bag if need be.
    Carry a whistle

These are all instructions that were common in the 1950's and '60's. Either parents then were prescient regarding risk factors....or those same risks existed then, too.

And yet we didn't intentionally raise generations of people incapable of doing anything for themselves who were utterly maladjusted to life in the real world.

Sorry to rant.