1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Defensive Tackle Recruits (updated: 2/2/13)

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by 8timechamps, Oct 25, 2012.

1. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

Updated: 2/2/2012

Current Offers:

Josh Augusta (6-4, 275 - Peoria, Illinois): Committed to Missouri

Maquedius Bain (6-5, 285 - Ft. Lauderdale, Florida): Committed to LSU

Rod Crayton (6-1, 275 - Dadeville, Alabama): Visited Norman in July

Greg Gilmore (6-4, 285 - Hope Mills, North Carolina): Committed to LSU

Toby Johnson (6-4, 290 - Hutchison, Kansas JUCO): Visited OU in September

Justin Manning (6-2, 275 - Dallas, Texas): Committed to Texas A&M

Scott Pagano (6-3, 279 - Honolulu, Hawaii): Committed to Clemson

De'Asian Richardson (6-3, 275 - Orange Park, Florida): Committed to Louisville

Quincy Russell (6-4, 311 - Athens, Texas JUCO): Committed to OU

Deadrin Senat (6-1, 311 - Immokalee, Florida): Committed to South Florida

Hardrick Walker (6-2, 281 - Houston, Texas): Committed to Texas A&M

Charles Walkerr (6-4, 280 - Garland, Texas): Committed to OU

Derrick Huggins (6-3, 285 - Dallas, Texas): Committed to OU

Keith Bryant (6-2, 292 - Delray Beach, Florida): Will visit Norman on January 25th.

Matthew Romar (6-3, 265 - Port Arthur, Texas): Committed to OU

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
    Seamus likes this.
  2. Scott D

Scott D SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Re: Defensive Tackle Recruits

If Johnson is from the Atlanta area, Georgia has been known to slow play and drop the ball on kids from the Atlanta area. I'm seeing it happen with the son of a high school friend of mine. He's in the 2014 class, and hasn't gotten much of anything from the Bulldogs at this stage.

3. JiuJitsuSooner

JiuJitsuSooner New Member

Not really true, they have about 20-30 players from ATL & Suburbs.. They get almost anyone they want in the state and the ATL area, they always have and always will... Lots of talent in that state

4. 8timechamps

Since he wasn't looked at by anyone coming out of high school, I'm assuming that he's excited to have the offer. Also, he's got a close relationship with Gardner, so that always helps. OU is still very much in the hunt for Johnson, and I think that shows by it being his only official visit. You never really know what's going on in these relationships, but if that's the case (UGA moving slow), it could come back to bite them with Johnson.

5. MO_Sooner

MO_Sooner New Member

On ESPN.com Sooner Nation they have a story about a tweet Justin Manning
    sent out after the OU-ND game but you have to be an Insider to read it all.
    He tweeted "OU got me sick." I'll let you all interpret what it means with his
    recruitment to OU. OU got me sick last night too, but I'll stick with them.

6. 8timechamps

I saw that, and wondered what it meant. I've given up trying to figure out where Manning's head is. I would be pretty shocked if he didn't end up being a Sooner.

7. OU_Sooners75

OU_Sooners75 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Not only that, but Johnson has said himself, that the chances he can get into the SEC is slim to none.

8. OU_Sooners75

OU_Sooners75 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Manning is growing tired of the recruiting process right now. He wants to get it done and over with.

But he also wants to finish his visits.

The kid is an OU lock. IMO, its better that he does what he is doing now, than be committed to us and find out he wants to go somewhere else.

Just because he is legacy doesn't mean he has to come to OU. But I think in the end, he is OU's to lose. He grew up around Stoops and the program. It will be very hard (or take a lot of money) for him not to sign with OU.

I think we find out before Christmas, since his visits will be over by then.

9. 8timechamps

I couldn't remember if that was the same kid. That certainly makes the case for the Sooners a little stronger.

He recently tweeted that "LSU is making his decision easier". The scoop is that some of the LSU coaches think that Manning is good, but not "LSU good". Word got back to him, and I think that pretty much ruled out the Tigers. I think he's realizing that he needs to secure a spot at an elite program. Maybe it's cleared his head a little. Still think he ends up a Sooner.

10. 8timechamps

Add a late offer:

Donovan Munger (6'3" 280 lbs Shaker Heights, Ohio/Shaker Heights) - OU offered Munger on Wednesday, and is No. 281 in the ESPN 300.

11. picasso

picasso SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I like the name.

12. Soonerfan88

Soonerfan88 Well-Known Member

Reports that Johnson has torn his ACL. Since he has a redshirt year available, do you think OU will continue pursuit?

13. Scott D

Scott D SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I agree they can get anyone in the state that they want, but Tech is more successful recruiting ATL than UGA is because UGA slow plays a lot of kids.

14. LSUdeek

LSUdeek New Member

Gilmore committed to LSU over UF and OU today.

15. 8timechamps

Made me sad. Although I was a little shocked we were still in the conversation. I think LSU chose Gilmore over Manning.

16. PalmBeachSooner

PalmBeachSooner New Member

So we might get one or two DTs? That's not good.

17. FaninAma

FaninAma SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Any other decent juco DL OU is looking at?

18. 8timechamps

Quincy Russell (6'4" 311 lbs (Trinity Valley Community College) - 4 star DT (ESPNU/Scouts), has offer from Texas and interest from Nebraska, Texas A&M, Texas Tech and Oklahoma. He hasn't made an official final three list, but the folks that are close to him say it's between Oklahoma and Nebraska.

Top Schools: Texas, Nebraska, OU

Where I think he'll end up: Nebraska

19. 8timechamps

Here's a couple more high school DT recruits we're in on:

Rod Crayton (6'1" 285 lbs, Dadeville, Ala) - No. 54 DT according to ESPNU/Scouts. Offers from Arizona, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Kentucky, Tennessee. Oklahoma has not offered him yet, as I think they are waiting to see how their first options turn out.

Deadrin Senat (6'1" 311 lbs, Immokalee, FL) - No. 27 DT according to ESPNU/Scouts. Decommitted from Florida State after Mark Stoops announced his departure. Originally a high list target for the Sooners until he made his commitment to FSU. Stoops has a policy of not recruiting players once they commit to his brother. Since Mark has left, Senat is back in play. Still has offer from FSU (as well as Tennessee, Ole Miss, USC, and about 10 others). Has expressed interest in Oklahoma since his decomitt.

20. soonerdo

soonerdo New Member

OU will still have a top 25 class, maybe not top 15 but its all good