1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

David Cornwell

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Sabanball, May 31, 2013.

1. Sabanball

Sabanball Well-Known Member

2. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

jkm the stolen pifwafwi SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Historically they have been pretty hard line on eligibility issues. I was just wondering if Jones (or Choctaw) had ever produced a D1 player.

3. picasso

picasso SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I believe Jones has.

4. Soonerjeepman

Soonerjeepman SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Read a bunch of comments on the espn article...seems espn is trying to make the Okla HSAA seem like a$$es. Obviously most are not in the know of the exact circumstances, but I really question him being out of school the whole yr when in the article is says the mom had the illness for a few months. Someone commented about knowing the dad and family and they are always looking for an angle for the son....again, who knows.

I know that I DID hold my son back, Aug birthday...back in K. Being a teacher I know boys develop emotionally, physically slower and I wanted him to be more mature for his Sr year. Who knows at that age if they'll be a athletic stud or not, I do know I graduated at 17, turned 18 in July and gained 30 lbs and 3 inches after HS. Would that have made a difference? who knows...but being one of the older vs younger would seem to help. Our main reason was the mental and social aspect..not athletic.

I do think being 6'5 232 and 19 yrs old is too old for HS. Take your talent to juco or a smaller level school, play for a yr and then get signed by the big boys (he is already recruited).

5. NorthernIowaSooner

NorthernIowaSooner New Member

I think this would make him very tough to scout this year. That extra year of physical maturity is an enormous advantage at their age. He has had an extra year to develop and will be playing against guys 1-4 yrs his junior. If he were a LB that could create some serious disadvantages and possible concerns from other teams. As a QB it might not be as big of a deal but I would guess it will inflate his numbers a bit.

6. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

It's not uncommon at all to see 19 year olds playing HS football.

7. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

Traditionally, OHSAA has been very hard-line on issues like this. Just last year, a top recruit in the state (Ward) had to sit out his senior year because of transferring issues. He ended up at OU, but it just demonstrates how they stick to their guns on these types of things.

Of course it would benefit the kid to play his senior year, but it's not going to change his options if he doesn't. ANy school that has made an offer will recruit him just as hard until he commits. The only thing it could potentially hurt is the schools that were recruiting him and wanted to see more before making an offer. Given the programs that have already made offers, I think he's going to be just fine.

I pegged this kid to be a Bama committ just as soon as OU got their first target. I still think that's where he goes.

8. Sabanball

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  9. 8timechamps

10. Collier11

Collier11 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

He does but they might use this to pull back from him if he is ineligible is what I have heard

11. 8timechamps

Gotcha. I have to wonder if OU didn't see this coming. There was a lot of rumble about OU not offering Cornwell, and going with Hansen, so it's quite possible that OU knew this was out there. Or, they just liked Hansen better (which is what I'm thinking).

12. Sabanball

He does not currently have a committable offer. Alabama offers to quarterbacks are generally not considered "committable" until Nick Saban sees them throw in person, and Blackshear (Ga.) Pierce County quarterback Tyler Harris, who also worked out in Tuscaloosa this week, told Rivals.com's Andrew Bone that Saban has indicated he plans to wait until mid-month before making any decisions at the position.

"He said they are evaluating all the quarterbacks they are interested in," Harris, a three-star prospect, told Bone. "In the next two weeks, on June 15, I will know where I stand. He said I was up on the list, so we will see what happens."

However, David Cornwell is generally regarded as the top qb prospect on our board and most think an offer is forthcoming. He fits the Saban mold for a qb more than any other prospect we are looking at--mainly a drop-back passer who has mobility inside the pocket.

While I'd like to see the kid be able to play his senior yr, I think some of the concern about his HS eligibility is a little overblown. Like I said, it really has no bearing on his entry into college as long as his grades are in order and no character issues, and given his background I don't think that either of those will be a problem at all.

Hansen is a fine talent in his own right, and from what ive read your staff has a long relationship with him. It doesn't hurt too that he is originally FROM the state, unlike David Cornwell, who is not from Oklahoma. Also, isn't Hansen a legacy recruit?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  13. 8timechamps

I'm sure most big time programs have similar offering methods, I just was confused and thought he may not have any kind of offer. Thanks for the clarification.

I think Hansen fits the offense Heupel/Stoops want a little better than Cornwell. Cornwell is a pocket passer where Hansen is a dual threat (although I see him more of a pocket passer that can run really well...if that makes sense). Anyway, I don't think he's a football legacy, although I believe his dad attended OU. So, I'm sure recruiting Hansen was much easier than Cornwell, who really didn't have an allegiance to stay in OK.

14. picasso

picasso SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Nope. We had one on our '82 state title team who was an All Big 8 safety at oSu. Switzer recruited him to play FB.

15. Mjcpr

Mjcpr SoonerFans.com Elite Member

And that was just 31 short years ago! :D

16. 8timechamps

Seems like it was just 30 years ago...time flies!

FirstandGoal likes this.
  17. Mjcpr

Mjcpr SoonerFans.com Elite Member

He's eligible.

OKLAHOMA CITY - Norman North quarterback David Cornwell will be able to play this season.

Cornwell was informed Friday that his application for an extra semester of eligibility was approved after Oklahoma Secondary School Activities Association reviewed addition information the family supplied earlier this week.

Cornwell (6-foot-5, 235 pounds) had to apply for the extra semester after missing the fall 2011 semester when his mother was ill.

Cornwell is one of the most highly sought after quarterback prospects nationally in the 2014 class.

Click here to read the complete article at NewsOK.com

18. Widescreen

Widescreen SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Hooray for some other school, I guess.

8timechamps likes this.
  19. Sabanball

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  20. Collier11

Collier11 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

They made the right decision here from what I have heard