1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College Football in Rome

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by BillyBall, Aug 16, 2010.

1. BillyBall

BillyBall Well-Known Member

So for the FSU game, I am going to be in Rome. Has anyone here ever been in Rome when OU played and if so, where is a good place to watch?

2. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

it will likely be televised by ESPN, so ESPN3.com will probably be your best bet.

BillyBall likes this.
  3. MeMyself&Me

MeMyself&Me New Member

Situations like that is the reason I own a Slingbox.

4. BillyBall

Yeah, not going to have my laptop and don't know if ESPN360 would be available at an internet cafe or not. I was thinking more along the lines of a bar.

In 2007, I was in Paris for the Miami game and found a place after doing a little research. That was an ABC game though, not sure if this will be nationally televised or not.

5. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

It really has got to be. This is the first time our programs have met since the 2000 title game... which was actually in 2001, but still, almost 10 years ago :D

Looking at espn.com's week 2 schedule, it is quite likely that this game will be featured everywhere, including Rome, lol. I don't know the time difference, but I hope 2:30 here does not equal crack-of-dawn there :)

Other games that MIGHT bump it include Meatchicken/Domer (NBC probably has that that one), Iowa State/Iowa, and the killer... Miami (the Florida version) at Ohio State. If you had to worry about any game bumping ours, it would be that one.

6. NormanPride

NormanPride SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Yeah, the Miami and Ohio State game will probably be the national game, but we'll get good coverage. Dunno if Rome will get it, though.

7. Mississippi Sooner

Mississippi Sooner New Member

They'll probably show it on the Jumbotron outside The Coliseum.

8. Widescreen

Widescreen SoonerFans.com Elite Member

This is your answer. As long as you can get reliable broadband Internet from your hotel.

9. PalmBeachSooner

PalmBeachSooner New Member

I lived in Rome for three years in the mid-90's. Did not get to see one OU game. Turned out to be a blessing 'cause I was spared the Blake debacle.

I used to go over to the Marine house at the U.S. Embassy because they had Armed Forces Network, but it was hit or miss what game they showed. Or you could just call the embassy and ask for the Marine house and then ask the guys if they know of a place. If anyone does they will.

I don't recall any sports bars as we know them. There is/was a Planet Hollywood down the Road from the U.S. Embassy. They may have sattelite TV.

I recall getting ***-faced at a bar down by the Pantheon and they had a few TV's broadcasting sports. Can't think of the name of it but it was little bit of a hole in the wall. If you had your back to the Pantheon. There will be a street to the left across the plaza follow it up a block and then hang a left. Go another block and hang another left. It should be on your right. I think it was called the Tiger bar.

10. illinisooner

illinisooner New Member

Been to Rome before during the NBA finals...couldn't find a place in hell to watch it, not a public bar or restaurant anyway. Your best bet is to score a laptop and check out any streams that might be up. Keep in mind if it will be a Saturday night in Rome and IIRC, the Italian national team will be playing then in a Euro 2012 qualifier...good luck bumping that off the TV :) I share your pain, I'm going to Europe for 2 weeks in mid October so I'll miss a game or two as well.

11. oudivesherpa

oudivesherpa Well-Known Member

I was in Lake Como, Italy during the OU/Oregon game in 2006, all I could find was scoccer. I did get a late update that OU was up by 33 to 27 with less than minuet left. When I got the final, my feelings were WTF happened?
    Moral: Travel in the Spring and Summer. Fall is for OU Football!

12. BillyBall

Work doesn't really give a **** about OU football unfortunately. I still have to go.

13. SOFSooner

SOFSooner New Member

I am in Djibouti, and I am hoping that AFN will cover the game, we are 8 hours ahead of Oklahoma time, so it is 7 hours time difference in Rome. I spent the 2008 season in Kosovo, so I got very used to getting up in the middle of the night to watch the Sooners play. If it starts at 2:30 then you will get to see it (if you are lucky) at 9:30Pm. No matter where you are in the world you have to watch the Sooners play.

BillyBall likes this.
  14. BillyBall

Thanks man, if all else fails Im going to buy some cheap *** laptop and watch it on ESPN360. I am just worried that they may not have 360 in Rome, as it is based on your cable provider and Burlesconi controls the media.

15. BillyBall

Yeah, that same day is Miami/tOSU, Penn State/Bama, and Michigan/ND. I hope we get good coverage.

16. 47straight

47straight New Member

Check the broadcast schedule for the North American Sports Network, and then check for bars/restaurants that broadcast the NASN.

BillyBall likes this.
  17. BillyBall

Thanks.

18. KantoSooner

KantoSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

worst case, you can get a streaming play-by-play on radio on the internet and then follow on ESPN on your computer.
    That's what I had to do when I lived in Japan.

the Slingbox option really works, though, and most major hotels have more than adequate broadband. Might be the best was to go.

BillyBall likes this.