1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Class of 2017

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by swardboy, Jul 24, 2013.

1. swardboy

swardboy SoonerFans.com Elite Member

[h=2]Harris Jr to Visit Sooners[/h]DetailsWritten on Monday, 22 July 2013Written by Jack Andrade
    Class of 2017 Defensive Line prospect, Andre Harris Jr., figures to be a very sought after recruit in the coming years. His dream school, the Oklahoma Sooners, is getting a head start in the chase for Harris, when they will host him later this month on an unofficial visit.

“My dream school is Oklahoma, but really I want to play for any D-1 program,” said Harris, who made an unofficial visit to Kansas St. in December.[​IMG]
    Harris will attend West High School in Wichita, Kansas, next Fall, and is expected to be an impactful varsity starter as a freshman. The 6’2” 270 pound Harris can play both End and Tackle on the D-Line, with hopes of being a team captain, and a state champion next season.

Harris had 87 tackles, 12 sacks, and 5 blocked passes last season in the Wichita City League, leading his team to a 7-1 record. He credits his combination of size and speed for his success.

“I don’t want to sound cocky,” said Harris, “but for my size, I’m pretty quick on my feet.”

Harris’ uncle, Brian Butler, trains and mentors him as a football player. Butler’s is an established training coach, with clientele that includes the Brown brothers- Arthur and Bryce, formerly of Kansas St., and both currently in the NFL.

No matter the season or weather, Harris hits the gym every Sunday after church to work on his strength. In the summer, he runs at “The Hill” 3x a week, and hones his footwork, agility, and conditioning at a local park.

Those long hours running “The Hill” have made Harris a capable defender late in games when others are tired.

In the league championship game in 4[SUP]th[/SUP] grade, Harris blew up a flea-flicker before the pitch back to the Quarterback, stripping the Running Back and scoring the tying touchdown. His team would go on to win it overtime.

In the 7[SUP]th[/SUP] grade, Harris fractured his shoulder during the first day of practice, but returned against his biggest rival- the Wichita Cowboys- and made the game clinching tackle in a goal line stand.

Harris likens his game to a fellow Wichita product and current Sooner, Jordan Phillips. His favorite player is Tyrann Mathieu because of his aggressive, attacking style on defense. Harris’ favorite play is the strip sack, which is why he prefers to play DE over DT in pass rushing situations. He also blocked a field goal this year and described it as a surreal feeling.

A basketball and track&field star as well, Harris is a special athlete. Football is his main sport, however, and his resume is stacked.

An alumnus of the Eastbay All American Bowl, Harris has also played on the 15U and 16U Team USA squads. He also made FBU Team Kansas the past two years, and played D-Line on all of those All-Star teams.

He’s a beast, an All-Star, but will he be a Sooner? It’s hard to imagine Harris not having the choice to play just about anywhere he wants in his college years. - See more at: http://www.youth1.com/index.php/foo...rris-jr-to-visit-sooners#sthash.1h87yQA0.dpuf

2. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

I've always thought that recruiting kids so early was crazy...until now.

Wonder if we can get him in this year?!

3. Salt City Sooner

Salt City Sooner New Member

Is it just me or does he look a LOT like Tommie in that pic (sans the hair of course).

Guess we'll see how much (if any) Stoops views' on kids having handlers has changed. Last time I looked, he & Butler weren't exactly the best of friends.

4. boomersooner28

boomersooner28 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I'd love to see a pick of Tommie at that age! He does resemble him.