1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bob Stoops on paying stipends: Players get plenty already

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by badger, Apr 10, 2013.

1. olevetonahill

olevetonahill Well-Known Member

I read that the other day. Dude sounds like a weenie version of mike lupeca or whatever his name is.

2. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

There's been a lot of wealth envy lately. I feel like I'm in a time warp of sorts, because I used to feel the same way... when I was a kid. Why can't I have the money that my parents have? Why do the adults have all of this money to spend when I don't have enough pennies to buy junk food and soda?

Is it a result of people wanting instant gratification? They don't want to wait till they're in their 50s with a head coaching job, but want the money now in the teens/20s?

From what I've seen at (AUBURN!!!!) schools that pay players, they are really, really shortchanging themselves, probably because they know what they're doing is against the rules. You're selling yourself and your recruting freedom for a few hundred bucks? Hell, you'd make more playing Arena football, and those guys are making poverty level wages annually to play football. You're taking less money than it costs to attend class at your university and then don't attend class. And then a few years later, you b!tch on HBO that you don't have a degree so now you're uneducated AND broke. Stupid!

3. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

jkm the stolen pifwafwi SoonerFans.com Elite Member

This is really dependent on the student. When I was at OU it wasn't uncommon for some of the players to have full Pell Grants plus various scholarships from the different departments. Heck, since everything was paper based there were several of us that had quadruple majors as freshmen/sophomores just for the scholly money. Me -> Why yes i'm chem e, mech e, engineering physics, and geology now give me my $2500. Some of the players were over $2200 on pell grants alone.

What they pay Bob Stoops should revoke the OU ADs tax exempt status. Seriously, lets put this in perspective. According to Stoops, they spend $50k a year on the 85 members of the football team in scholarships ($4,250,000). They pay him almost that much. I know it will never happen, but because it is subsidized by taxpayer funds, an AD should have a salary cap and because the NCAA is all about fairness it should be a fixed number.

4. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

Just curious - does Bob Stoops pay taxes in Oklahoma? I know he has a house in Florida too, so he might be dodging our state income taxes (which the legislature is trying to lower anyways, so whatever)

5. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

jkm the stolen pifwafwi SoonerFans.com Elite Member

State taxes are normally paid in the state they are earned.

6. One4OU

One4OU New Member

Most states have a rule of where the money is earned. Many professional athletes pay income taxes based on where it was earned. Your pro baseball players pay state and city income taxes on their salaries based on their game schedule.

Im sure Bob Stoops is paying OK income taxes on his coaching salary.

7. Scott D

Scott D SoonerFans.com Elite Member

That's why Golic tends to tear into Greenie when he goes on those rants. Keep in mind you're talking about a non athlete who covered sports at Northwestern. That should tell you all you need to know about Greenberg.

There was also another article out there that commented on Stoops being a good choice for saying it because he'd also been a student athlete on scholarship at Iowa.

8. cleller

cleller SoonerFans.com Elite Member

A guy called into the Sports Animal today with a very interesting twist on this idea. He said that if the universities give players money, why shouldn't the players agree to give the university back some percentage if they make it into the NFL? The money could be earmarked for the college players in some way.

I'm sure this would create quite a quandary with the players. Most would never make into the NFL, so it would be no worry. If you do make it, it would be a relatively small percentage of a possibly very large sum.

Just as the players may be owed something for the revenue these football teams brings in; the players who go to the NFL also owe something to the universities that developed them, and created the opportunity.

9. picasso

picasso SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Most students don't have time for a job. How about we go force those who make it big to pay the school back?

10. picasso

What the **** does it matter what Stoops makes? He's not in college any more. How shall we do this entitlement stuff? Does the best player on each team make a little bit more? It's only right.

11. picasso

When did Stoops graduate from college? I'm going to guess he worked his butt off for less than great money for two decades before starting making big money based on his performance. That's a far cry from a college athlete who is helping a school sell a football jersey.

12. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! SoonerFans.com Elite Member

This could work. It teaches a good life lesson.

13. PrideTrombone

PrideTrombone New Member

Actually, the answer to those questions is "yes."

14. MichiganSooner

MichiganSooner Well-Known Member

To ESPN commentator/criticizer of Coach Common Sense Stoops-how about we pay you $25k for getting to spew your simple-minded sports news commentary and give the rest to a student that can really use the money to get a degree so he/she can be trained to do something that is really important.

Soonerfan88 likes this.