1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Chicken Fry

Discussion in 'South Oval' started by Eddie Money, Feb 11, 2004.

1. TAFBSooner

TAFBSooner Well-Known Member

(The subway ghost in Ghost) Jailhouse Cafe! What I wouldn't give for one more of their huge chicken fried steaks with cheese instead of gravy . . . (/subway ghost)

2. scotplum

scotplum New Member

Yeah, I didn't think Barry's Chicken Fry was anything to write home about either.

3. C&CDean

C&CDean Administrator

scotplum,

It's because they've only been in Norman for about a year or so. They used to be in Noble.

4. scotplum

scotplum New Member

Ah ha! Well, then I'll definitely need to check it out. Probably a good thing it wasn't there when I was in school then. :)

5. Boarder

Boarder Yacht Rocker

Bob's BBQ. Only one dork I know didn't like it. But, he did win an intramural national football championship and is one heck of a bowler, so I'll let it slide.

6. Norm In Norman

Norm In Norman Adminstrator of PAIN

Make my dinner, b****!

7. Boarder

Boarder Yacht Rocker

Hmmm, what happens when you gripe at the chef at a restaurant? Hmmmm....

8. Norm In Norman

Sorry, sir. Can I have a glass of water please?

9. Eddie Money

Eddie Money Active Member

I'll say it - Barrys Chicken Ranch flat out sucked. So what? I wouldn't want Bob Stoops to work on my car; we all have our place.

10. jk the sooner fan

jk the sooner fan loved by all

you've been there huh?

thats the SAPD Special.....

11. GeneralCartmanLee

GeneralCartmanLee New Member

By Far Kendall's, and their Catfish is damn good as well!

12. King Crimson

King Crimson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

i see how it is.

pretty clever, you two.

:razz:

13. BajaOklahoma

BajaOklahoma SoonerFans.com Elite Member

The old A&A Cafe on Britton Road in OKC.
    Biscuits & gravy. Chicken Fried steak. Real mashed potatoes with lumps, not boxed junk.

14. soonerboomer93

soonerboomer93 Dirty bastard

there's a place in houston, by the sam houston tollway, next to the horse track that has huge chicked fried steaks. they served them on pizza pans. I could barely eat the whole thing, pretty good gravy too.

15. OU Champ

OU Champ New Member

J&M's Diner in Eufala
    I also gotta go with the CFS I inhaled at 6am at the KC Ameristar after a night of craps and cards while drinking the sooner nations troubles away. It was at that little diner place i think... dont remember too well.

16. Norm In Norman

That place has the best catfish I've had. When I was a kid we used to go there whenever we visited our lake property.

17. TAFBSooner

TAFBSooner Well-Known Member

Good times.

Brianna's for the tortilla soup.
    Tower of the Americas Restaurant for the view.
    Jailhouse Cafe for the SAPD Special.
    Happy Guy for the General Tso's Chicken.
    Fajita booth at NIOSA because it's even more fun to work the booth than to go as a customer.
    Little Red Barn.

San Antonio food tour coming up in ____ months!

18. GDC

GDC New Member

when in san antonio hit la focaccia downtown for great italian

19. MamaMia

MamaMia Moderator

I'll have to try a Kendalls.I liked the one that Texas Road House makes.

20. Norm In Norman

There is also a place in San Antonio called Houston Street Bistro over by the children's museum. I have dreams about the ravioli I had there for lunch one day. Everything there was awesome.

My story about that place is the day we went it was raining. Me my wife and son walked in wearing shorts and T-shirts and I was soaking wet because I let my son have my umbrella and all of our hair was all frizzy because of the rain (and it was about 95 degrees to boot). Well, everyone there was wearing a business suit, the waiters and staff were all wearing black slacks white shirts and black ties and there were tablecloths on the table. The host asks us how many and I replied "Nevermind, we are way underdressed for here." He said "NONSENSE! You are in San Antonio - everyplace is casual here. This is just the business crowd, so don't worry about it." Well, of course we sit down and look at the menu and there is no child's menu. I asked the waiter if they had plain spaghetti for the boy and he said "Well, not really but I will ask the chef what we can do." So the chef whips up some angel hair pasta with a nice marinara sauce for him that wasn't even on the menu and they only charged us like 4 bucks. And it was awesome too.

I ended up tipping the waiter like 30% because they worked so hard for us and the food was so good. I never get that kind of service here.