1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bell outshines qb competitors in Sooner scrimmage

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Mazeppa, Apr 13, 2013.

1. goingoneight

goingoneight I said Biiiiiiiitch--

Is it just me or does Thompson's running style look like DeMarco Murray's? Especially the spin move and the way he changes directions on a dime. Guys were not able to square him up at all.

2. Ruf/Nek7

Ruf/Nek7 New Member

I would like to see us run wild cat offense (not the belldozer) that would have thompson and someone like finch and shepard or saunders constantly motioning as an option after snap. You have three running options and the ability to drop back and pass.

How about a triple option pass?

3. Soonerwake

Soonerwake New Member

I'm a little hesitant to gush about any of the QB's running. They were wearing the blue jerseys, so it's very difficult to get an idea of what runs would have worked, would they have been sacked a few more times, etc.. Plus, Bell's running style is alot more physical, so we didn't see any of that on Saturday.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  4. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

That's how I read it initially :eek:

But seriously, anyone who is borderline on having one better get it in ASAP, because you will need to be full-strength to endure what we have coming to Norman in Week 2:

WEST VIRGINIA

...that looked better in my head. you really can't read the yellow text, can you?

5. Mazeppa

Mazeppa Well-Known Member

I seen more "mobility" from these quarterbacks in two hours on Owen field than I've seen in the last 4 years.

6. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

I think Bell is going to have another great year getting us short yardage and scores at the goal line.

7. Widescreen

Widescreen SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I get what you're saying but that blue jersey also worked against the QBs. There were a couple of times that Thompson would likely have had a long run had it not been for the rule saying the play was over as soon as the QB was touched. I liked what I saw from the QBs even if it wasn't a true representation due to the odd rules.

8. Salt City Sooner

Salt City Sooner New Member

x 2, not to mention the fact that Bell probably trucks a couple of those pats on the back as well if it'd been live.

9. Soonerwake

Soonerwake New Member

I agree with all of you. The blue jerseys work for and against the player wearing said jersey. And, I also agree that all of the QB's are more mobile than Landry. In fact, Saturday made me realize how immobile Landry really was. So, we will all be praising the feet of our new QB, whoever it is, while missing some of the throws Landry could make that these guys probably aren't ready for. Saying all that, it would be an incredible upset if anyone but Bell starts game 1.

Just a thought..

10. Ruf/Nek7

Ruf/Nek7 New Member

Truth is, running ability will not apply to winning the starting position. Unless, and only unless Heupel plans on running an offensive scheme that demands running ability. Based on observations of previous seasons as him as OC, whomever has the best passing ability will be the winner of the position and if you ask me who has shown the most in that aspect, it is Bell hands down.

I feel many here are jumping to this mobile quarterback thing because of Manziel. I just don't see OU incorporating it yet. It does seem as though this is a growing trend at all levels. RG3, Kaepernick, Scam Newton in the NFL and the obvious college guys.