1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone Own an IN-GROUND POOL?

Discussion in 'South Oval' started by Pieces Hit, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Pieces Hit

Pieces Hit New Member

Wife wants one.

She cain't ride a horse no more because of degenerative disks in her back so we is gonna sell house and acreage next year and build a house w/ a pool so she can kick her legs and hopefully not get skin cancer.

Thinking this thing must be heated.
    ?

Advice and experience appreciated.

2. Jerk

Jerk SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Yes, if you have a lab or a GSD, they will LOVE it.

3. Okla-homey

Okla-homey SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I had one in Montgomery AL. Royal pain in the arse. Expensive chemicals, keeping it clean and balanced, bugs, toads, snakes fall in, high water bills, etc.

My advice? Get a hot tub. Therapeutic and sexy.

4. Jimminy Crimson

Jimminy Crimson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

It might be less of a headache/expense to buy a house with a pool already installed.

That being said, the new salt water pools are supposed to be pretty cool. A bit more expensive initially, but cheaper than chemicals long run.

Thats all I got.

Oh yeah, pool party at PH's house! :D

5. oumartin

oumartin New Member

I'd take Homey's advice!

6. Pieces Hit

Pieces Hit New Member

Well, if I went with the hot tub she might bust her head coming off the diving board.

She wants a dang pool.

I'm thinking it's about even between building a house and pool or buying a house with pool...

If I built at least I would get what I wanted. Maybe.

7. Widescreen

Widescreen SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Surprised jk hasn't chimed in.

8. jk the sooner fan

jk the sooner fan loved by all

sorry, i've been at the VA med ctr in south dallas most the morning

yes, i have one.....LOVE LOVE LOVE it

costly? yeah, it does drain a bit of money out of the checkbook

i'm sure one day i'll grow tired of it, but i dont see that day coming anytime soon

i pay a pool service 49 bucks a month to do the chemicals, and from discussions i've had with other friends who have pools, this is about equal to what you'd shell out over monthly over a year (much more than 49 in the summer, but much less in the winter)

heating an entire pool is BIG $$$$.......heating a hottub attached, not quite as much

9. 1stTimeCaller

1stTimeCaller SoonerFans.com Elite Member

the one we had when I was growing up wasn't heated but the solar blanket we used kept the temp where we wanted it during the spring and summer

10. jk the sooner fan

solar blanket...hmmm.....we might be swimming in march if i can find one of those......

11. 1stTimeCaller

1stTimeCaller SoonerFans.com Elite Member

12. jk the sooner fan

hmm, those are reasonably priced
    thanks....

13. Pieces Hit

Pieces Hit New Member

So perhaps a heated pool WITH this solar blanket would be affordable?
    It would keep the heat in, I presume.

14. VeeJay

VeeJay SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Money pit.

My next house will not have one.

15. Mjcpr

Mjcpr SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Where do you live?

16. jk the sooner fan

where do you live? if you live in texas or oklahoma, you wont need a heated pool unless you ABSOLUTELY need it for swimming between october and april

right now the water temp in my pool is around 60....it dropped down to 50 when we had our freeze......anything below 80 is **** shrinking temperature

during the summer, the temp is between 80 and 90 and feels great

i would think if you had a decent hot tub for the winter, that would be enough

the solar blanket floats on the water and helps bring the temp up from the winter months

17. Pieces Hit

Pieces Hit New Member

Tulsa, and wife has dream of using it as year round as possible.
    I spose a pool salesman will sort this out, right...

18. jk the sooner fan

yeah a salesman would

a heated pool during a tulsa winter = BIG BUCKS for your electric company

19. devOUt

devOUt New Member

I agree with Okla-homey. We had a pool for about 15 years. I had it taken out last year and replaced it with a hot tub. No regrets here.

20. Sooner in Tampa

Sooner in Tampa SoonerFans.com Elite Member

We have one...but so does everybody else in Fla. The chemicals do cost a little, but if you are diligent and keep up with balance of the water, that will help.

I have kids so of course we love it...at least for the first 3 months of summer. My kids are usually tired of it by May or June.

I am really on the fence as to wether or not I would do it again. In the summer months it is AWSOME...it the winter, not so much.