1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

After RE watching the game today.............

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by 85Sooner, Oct 12, 2013.

1. 85Sooner

85Sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

This is not a negative “rant” it is a factual “rant”.
    Just finished watching the debacle in Dallas again. It confirmed what I have been thinking for a long time and right NOW I am wishing I were a Longhorn fan. Because OU has the same syndrome the Longhorns have… but they have not recognized it yet.......Won't bother to gripe...those who know, see it too...they have for a few years.... the patterns, the numbers do not lie and the spin cannot be supported any more. It has nothing to do with the talent on the field. OU has the talent to win championships! Those boys play their hearts out and do what they are told. Things will continue as they have in the past.....until the fans and (REGENTS) finally recognize and are no longer happy with being 2nd, 3rd, 4th best…IN THE CONFERENCE. Being a Champion is about an attitude.
    Had hope in 2000 that it was the new coaching change that made the difference, but was skeptical because of one thing Bob Stoops said. He said...(when recruiting Heupal out of Jr College) that Josh, asked HIM if they had a chance to win a national title. Bob said he was surprised by the question and by reflex told him to answer "yes". THAT told me that Stoops did not believe they could despite his words when he took the job. NOW….don’t get mad at me… I think Bob Stoops restored the program to respectability and I believe he is a winner..but I also believe he is a politician and a person who thinks along the lines of Jerry Jones rather than Nick Saban.

That situation…psychologically, told me a lot. It is the players attitude that wins. It is an attitude that works, that finds a way, that finds a way to overcome and win. THAT was the OU Sooners in 2000....and seems to be the natural, every day, feeling at LSU, Alabama, etc. The BIG 12????? They have become the "pretty conference"..they put up pretty numbers against weak opponents TO GET TO "THE" game...... and hope that odds will work out... (they don't) which has been revealed by OU's Bowl record in the past decade.

OU will be OU..but it is NOT Barry Switzers OU…….It is under the leadership of mediocrity in a mediocre conference…. The leadership of the University has accepted that, the fans have been blinded that actually Bob Stoops has a worse record than Gary Gibbs did..but yet they/we still support him.. and the players know better than all of us……………… OU is the Big 12 Bully….. Beats up on weaker talent and thrusts its chest out to say WE ARE POWERFUL AND THE BEST…. Then we get to games against BIG TALENT and ………. Cower in the losses. NOW YOU’RE MAD AT ME….Think I am a bad fan… a sunshine fan…. But I would ask you….go look at the record. The things I am saying are true and beyond repute.

OU Won the Natl Championship in 2000 and has played for it 3 more times to bad losse. The SEC , despite what Stoops says ..is the dominate conference.
    I know Bob ( the gambler) Stoops…has denied that but the fact are the facts. Bob was PRAISED by everyone by winning the Natl Championship in 2000 in his second year… WOW..he was KING…. Now we have the former Coach at OSU who has won 2 National Championships since then. Nick Saban has won more with different teams in that period…….and Bob (the gambler) Stoops has become Bob (the predictable) Stoops. The media has loved him but ……
    I really admire Mike Gundy at OSU… HE has the winning attitude and HE will eventually get there.
    Bob is on the same page as Mack…does not seem to want to change and so OU is getting a preview of their future in the performance of the Longhorns in the past few years. Todays game was about a bunch of talented guys backed up against a wall…… against a bunch of guys who have won the last three games were heavily favored and felt as though, all they had to do was show up. That is what we saw today.

Mack will be gone next year….. Bob will still be doing the same as Bob has been doing..IF OU fans are OK with that …fine……..Mediocre it is.

2. achiro

achiro SoonerFans.com Elite Member

You are out of you mind.

3. SoonerKnight

SoonerKnight Well-Known Member

You lost your mind 85! Jesus H Christ!!! Texas treated this game like a bowl game! Mack admitted he had been planning for this game since January!! So Texas a school with whole lot of talent came out kicking and they won! Will it happen next year? No!

Now I do not remember when we finished last or middle of the conference!

4. Curly Bill

Curly Bill I'm a shootist

I'm not gonna totally discredit what 85 is saying, as I do think the program is flawed and that it starts at the top.

There is however no question that he is out of his mind, and we know that because he chose to re-watch that debacle! ;)

5. SCOUT

SCOUT SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I am glad you are getting use out of your "Jumping to Conclusions" mat.

6. Rogue

Rogue Answers - 25 Cents

2 key injuries on defense cost us huge. That and the (lack of) QB play.

7. Therealsouthsider

Therealsouthsider New Member

...In 2000 Stoops caught lightning in a bottle and cashed in. I doubt he will repeat that level of success again, he's free to prove me wrong, I've been waiting 13 years.

ss

8. SoonerKnight

No program can win all of their games when was the last time Saban went undefeated?

9. bluedogok

bluedogok SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I've known him since elementary school, he's just a glutton for punishment.

10. Curly Bill

Curly Bill I'm a shootist

I know he's won what... 3 NC's since we have??

11. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

12. SOONER44EVER

SOONER44EVER SoonerFans.com Elite Member

4 after this year.

13. SoonerKnight

Yeah he did but not undefeated and with an ESPiN machine's help!! The fact is he loses games all good coaches do!

14. Okie35

Okie35 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Oregon is winning but yea the SEC cheats and if we need to do that now I'm all for it.

15. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

4 after last year... LSU lost to Florida that year, so they weren't undefeated then either though

16. cleller

cleller SoonerFans.com Elite Member

How many "hang your head"-type losses has Saban had that jump to mind?

17. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

Hawai'i comes to mind

how about Texas in 2002? :D

18. OU_Sooners75

OU_Sooners75 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I would say one hurt us more than the other!

That injury was Jordan Phillips.

Dom Alexander had 17 tackles to lead the team. Yes he made a few mistakes, but Texas never broke a big run for a score.

I honestly thought the Defense played well enough to win the game had the offense did its part.

19. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

i don't disagree with that. especially with all the field goals the had

20. cleller

cleller SoonerFans.com Elite Member

So, about 1 bad loss for Saban in the last decade? That sound about right?

How many could we count for the Sooners in the last decade? 10 times that many? Not saying bounce Bob yet, but he in no way compares to Saban in putting away the competition, and avoiding embarrassment.