1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2012 WCWS in OKC

Discussion in 'Sooner Baseball, Softball, etc.' started by Sooner95, May 28, 2012.

1. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I was thinking the same, but I also think our fans are far too polite, most of the time.

Virtually every non-OU home football game I have attended(college games) the home fans have been rowdy, have screamed their lungs out when the opponent has the ball. Not so with most OU home games.

2. SoonerStormchaser

SoonerStormchaser Emma's Daddy!

You could see that on TV last night when they delayed the game in the 4th...the Bama fans were going ape****. That's what makes this loss even more maddening...

3. SoonerMarkVA

SoonerMarkVA New Member

Agreed. I was frankly shocked when I saw that they went ahead and scheduled the game for 9:55, when the forecast clearly showed it was going to keep up after a short break.

However, there is a great lesson in this. Gasso needs to get the girls out on the diamond when the weather sucks. It wasn't just Ricketts, either. The whole defense seemed to fall apart having to handle and throw the wet ball. Get them out there and make them practice through the rain. Kind of ironic that Patty happened to say during one of the sideline interviews, "We're ready to play even if it snows." They may have been willing to play, but they weren't ready (as in prepared).

4. kevpks

kevpks New Member

That means all the gray shirts have about six weeks to find a place to live and raise some tuition money.

5. champions77

champions77 New Member

Classy post...with the exception of the "your coach trying to isnsist the Ricketts be allowed to stop while Traina had to pitch through the rainy mist in the third" part. Rain is "accumulative" in what does not have an effect early on, after a while accumulates and does have an effect later on, whther it be a football field, soccer field, or softball field. Coach Murphy could have petitioned the umpires to stop play, but didn't. And you could see that the moisture on the ball was starting to have an effect on Ricketts, with the wild pitches.

Now, we lost the game because of our lousy play in the field, and the passed balls and wild pitches by Kelani/Shults. Bama played a much cleaner game, and they won, and should have won. We beat ourselves. The best thing for OU is to learn form the experience...and get better.

6. SOONERKAT

SOONERKAT New Member

This was a hard one to accept. I have had a couple of days now to digest it as I get my team ready for their state tourney, and I had all of them watch this game to teach them a very important lesson; a game can be lost (or in Bama's case, won) on just a couple of simple mental errors. Vest cheating towards second base to take away the steal attempt pulled her out of position to make two plays at short and the errant, rushed throw at second were inning killers, extended innings, and led to three runs for Bama. OU's runs were earned on hard hits, three of which left the field, but Bama took advantage of poor play to win this game, which is the hallmark of any good team. I stated earlier in this thread that this series would come down to who makes fewer mistakes and who takes advantage of mistakes made, and this ended up being the case. Nothing but full credit to Bama here, they earned their title.

All of this said, I feel sorry for Jevan as she is the sole senior starter leaving, but this is also a good thing as this team will return 8 of 9 starters that should be good and pissed when the next year starts. If this loss does not properly motivate the girls to get it done next year, then the truth is that they just do not deserve to call themselves champions, which I think they do.

8timechamps likes this.
  7. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Does anyone knowd how to contact Patty Gasso, email or phone? also maybe Joe Castiglioni? Whoever does ought to send her the URL for this thread, as I believe it's very informative. or PM me if you know how to reach her. Thanks.

8. jkjsooner

jkjsooner New Member

Please explain to me how that is a mental error? It sounds like a calculated gamble to me. I bet it was directed by by the coach.

Now, if we had a big lead then outs become much more important than bases so this could be considered a mental error but that was not the case.

9. C&CDean

C&CDean Administrator

I hate being the "nuh uh" guy, but Jevan is a sophomore. Katie Norris is the only starting senior.

If Keilani can figure out a way to keep her head in the game - for 7 innings every game - this team will be purt-near unbeatable next year.

10. N.AL-Tider

N.AL-Tider New Member

Hey Sooners, I just came over last week to register to congradulate you guys on having a really great softball team. It was really exciting getting to watch the best two teams in college softball go at it head-to-head. You guys have some really great things ahead of you, especially with Kailani pitching for you. While I do believe that J. Traina is an excellent pitcher I truly think that Kailani is the best pitcher in college. Bama got the breaks that OU was looking for so we got the trophy. Not saying that to gloat either because I realize that those breaks could have easily gone y'all's way and the trophy would be yours.

I really think though that both schools will be in the running for the title again for a few years. Success breeds success and hopefully they will continue to field championship teams that can keep the trophy off of the west coast for a few years to come.

Congrats again on your season and best of luck for the years to come.

Roll Tide and Boomer Sooner!

8timechamps and Blue like this.
  11. Pooty Pootpoot

Pooty Pootpoot New Member

We purchased three Alabama WCWS champs t-shirts and are using them for fart pillows. They really work!

Also, did anyone else happen to notice that the Alabama pitcher apparently never met a pie she didn't like. So much so that her face has actually taken on the appearance of a big old pie.