1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2008 Summer Olympics

Discussion in 'General Sports Forum' started by JohnnyMack, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Howzit

Howzit Junice Groupie

No.

They might make us pay back all that money we're borrowing early.

2. soonermix

soonermix New Member

yeah for women's beach volleyball

Fraggle145 likes this.
  3. Ruuuuuufus

Ruuuuuufus New Member

4. Chuck Bao

Chuck Bao SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I'm thinking about protesting the Olympic torch relay in Bangkok this morning. It is supposed to run 11km from Chinatown to the Grand Palace.

I've already made a few signs and it will take another hour to get the photo shop to blow them up to sign size.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one I stole from:

http://www.tibetanfreedomtorch.org/

[​IMG]

If anyone has better ideas, I would appreciate them.

The Thai police have been warning for a week already that anyone protesting will be either arrested or deported.

So, I don't know if it's worth the risk or not.

The whole thing is probably over anyway. They’ve probably changed the time and did it at 6am or something. That would be a moral victory, well in my view.

5. Jerk

Jerk SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Thermite, Chuck. Thermite. Look it up.

If the Chinese dude standing in front of the tank in 1989 would have had a thermite grenade, bye bye commie tank. Place it on the hatch and light it, it gets 4,500 degrees, and will melt through anything. Google/youtube 'thermite;' An effective weapon against leftists in tanks, and can be made with hardware store materials.

Burn alive mother******s. That's what I say.

6. RacerX

RacerX SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Is dickweed an internationally understood term?

7. RacerX

RacerX SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I'm ready for the Olympics to be done, as in no more Olympics.

8. Jerk

Nope. The only commonly understood language is violence.

9. Chuck Bao

I agree with your sentiments there, Jerk, and I did look up Thermite. But, I wasn't really going for that blowing up tanks angle.

And, RacerX, I plugged in Dickweed into an online English-Chinese dictionary and you are right. I got nothing.

I did get this for penis 名 阳物 and this for head 名 头, so I'm making some last minute changes to my signs.

Thanks.

10. tommieharris91

tommieharris91 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

That would be $1.4 trillion, and most of that is held in cash.

11. Chuck Bao

Is that a long British trillion or a short American trillion?

Oh nevermind! It's already too much and if they want at least half of that back, they can't start pulling it out now.

We got 'em by the short and curlies.

12. Okla-homey

Okla-homey SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Boycott schmoycott.

IMHO its absurd for anyone to boycott the darn Peking Olympics who resides in, represents or leads a country whose retail store shelves literally sag under the weight of all the Chinese manufactured goods. Put another way, most of the people getting all worked up over the Peking Olympics buy and possess an awful lot of stuff made in the PRC.

Thus, I call any proposed Olympic boycott "the Peking Duck" because it ducks the only real way to get the PRC's attention over their alleged human rights abuses while somehow making the boycott-er feel better.

Form over substance.

You wanna get China's attention? Boycott Chinese made goods. And Wal-Mart.

13. olevetonahill

olevetonahill Well-Known Member

He didnt say dikhole ,
    Pay atention :D

Turd_Ferguson likes this.
  14. OUWxGuesser

OUWxGuesser Member

Tibet is actually a pretty whacked situation, and way more complicated than what the "Free Tibet" peeps want to admit. Do people realize the buddhist monks ran a society with slavery? The llamas were the masters. It's also known they have beat people in order to get them to pray, etc. China came in and took control, and removed the Llamas from power stopping the slavery. They've actually pumped a boatload of $$$ into the region to a) "educate people" and b) enhance services. Of course nothing is one-sided. China historically has a pretty bad record, and we're all aware of their media censorship.

Regardless, boycotting would be stupid. I work with a few Chinese, and they're no different than any of us. Blame the gov, not the people.

15. Frozen Sooner

Frozen Sooner Soon to be Memphibian

[​IMG]

STOP HIS REIGN OF TERROR!!!

16. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

pretty much. it's pretty hollow to gripe about this and then buy their $.99 plastic crap from Wal-Mart

i'm boycotting anyway, because the Olympics are teh lame

17. Jerk

Me too. Except the pole vaulting girl. I'm going to check her out.

18. GottaHavePride

GottaHavePride Brewmaster

I like the Olympics.

Not as much as I like the World Cup, but still.

19. Chuck Bao

I can’t think of one single item that I own that was manufactured in China. So, that’s not my issue. But, I understand that it could be yours, Homey.

American consumers are always free to boycott merchandise from any particular country and for whatever reason whether rational or irrational. The Olympics do not change that.

My issue is that China craves international respect and acceptance while refusing to grant basic rights to its own people and occupied territories. They are hijacking the Olympics and the Olympic ideals as a form of propaganda. Of course, they are not the first to do that and it certainly is not on par with the ’36 Olympics in Berlin. But, they are taking it far beyond what we’ve seen in recent Olympics, in my opinion.

Why else did they set up this massive international torch relay? I think it has backfired terribly for them and I’m glad to see that. And, I wanted to participate in my own small way. I didn’t go, by the way.

I am a big sports fan and that is why I post here. I love watching the Olympics, particularly track and field. I’ve stated it before and I will state it again: I wish the Olympics were free from politics and nationalism.

Even though the international propaganda is not working, domestically it is. What I’m hearing from several sources in China is that nationalistic pride is being whipped up to near fever pitch. I want to be clear: this is not red book waving Chinese communism, but welling support for extreme right-wing Chinese nationalism.

China is not post-WWII and newly industrialized Japan and Korea. China has a very big chip on its shoulder.

Come August, I predict the Chinese national anthem will be playing a lot.

I predict that US TV audiences will increasingly tune it out.

After the Olympics, I predict that China takes stronger measures to eliminate the freedom fighters in Tibet.

20. Stoop Dawg

Stoop Dawg SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I have to admit that I'm not 100% certain how to do that. When I look at the pretty box on the shelf, how do I know where it was made?