1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official Cotton Bowl Thread: OU vs Texas A&M (2012)

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by ouflak, Jan 4, 2013.

1. SicEmBaylor

SicEmBaylor Baylor Ambassador

You too? You're not pissed enough if you keep making excuses for those who are responsible for this debacle.

2. FaninAma

FaninAma SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Young came out of BYU and was known primarily as a passer. I don't think SF won all those games due to Young's running.

3. PMKMDJ

PMKMDJ New Member

You don't remember he played with that Jerry Rice guy, caught a couple passes but known for his run blocking.

4. Judge Smails

Judge Smails Well-Known Member

Simple Solution: We should not play any more games with the word "Bowl" in the title.

5. Boomer.....

Boomer..... .....Sooner!

Years ago we would end a players Heisman hopes. This year we gave them a boost.

6. Soonerfan85

Soonerfan85 Active Member

Sorry, my reading comprehension is somewhat clouded at the moment, and I stopped watching after the 3rd qtr. No surprise that Fox was pimping Johnny football, they got nothing else to talk about.

BTW, could Fox PLEASE spend a couple of bucks and put up a bigger on screen score and down and distance window!!!!!!

7. SCOUT

SCOUT SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Yet he was a dual threat quarterback.

8. MamaMia

MamaMia Moderator

...not good for recruiting. :(

9. Tulsa_Fireman

Tulsa_Fireman SoonerFans.com Elite Member

500 yard rushing seasons and 6-7 yard averages per carry in the West Coast disagrees with you mightily.

10. Wishboned

Wishboned New Member

Seriously guy, take that SEC **** and shove it up your ***.

SicEmBaylor likes this.
  11. SCOUT

Sure, he only rushed for 4,200+ yards as a QB.

12. FaninAma

I simply disagree. Cunningham had some decent years but no rings. He also played on some pretty talented teams in Philly and Minnesota. And if running QBs were the way to go at the next level the NFL would have a lot more of them. Even Cunningham was more of a pocket passer the last 4 years of his career. You just can't take the punishment as a running QB in the NFL. And Manziel is no Cunningham or Vick. He is much smaller than either of them.

Cunningham had a good career. The NFL has been around for 75+ years. Do you want to give me another example of a running QB who "thrived" at the next level? Maybe Tarkington but he was more of a scrambler avoiding the rush while staying in the pocket as opposed to a vertical runner.

13. Tulsa_Fireman

Somebody beat me to it.

Steve Young.

If he doesn't count as a running quarterback then this discussion is absolutely a wasted effort.

14. SCOUT

Wait, I thought "Running QBs just do not thrive in the NFL" was the point. I agree that they aren't the norm. Then again, Johnny doesn't really seem to be the norm either.

15. Tulsa_Fireman

You know Scout, I'm pretty sure those guys that can run a 4.2-4.3 AAAAAAAND shake a guy out of his jock AAAAAAND put a 50 yard bomb on a dime are everywhere.

Everywhere.

How do you do the sarcastic eyeroll thingy again?

16. FaninAma

He was a decent runner but averaged under 300 yards a season(less than 20 yards a game).Any NFL team that calls even 10 designed runs for their QB is asking him to be injured. The game keep evolving and starting QBs are too valuable to risk them for an extra 20 to 30 yards a game.

17. FaninAma

Again, Manziel is very good at this level but he isn't a Vick or even a Cunningham. I guess we will just have to wait and see what he does in the NFL. I won't be suprised to see him play all 4 years at TAMU because of lack of interest in the NFL due to his lack of size and arm strength.

18. Tulsa_Fireman

That's where the disconnect is.

Running quarterback = a quarterback that can and jags it in your *** on a regular basis.

NOT running quarterback = mouthbreathing goon that totes the pill 20-30 touches a game.

Tim Tebow = mouthbreathing goon that totes the pill 20-30 times a game. He's a runner, period.

RGIII is a running quarterback. Steve Young was a running quarterback. Randall Cunningham was a running quarterback. Michael Vick, yes, was/is a running quarterback. Hell, for all rights and purposes, Aaron Rodgers is a running quarterback. The fact that they can and do, not the fact that they smash B gap isos all day.

C'mon. Don't be dense.

19. FaninAma

I feel failrly comfortable in saying that Manziel will not be a great NFL QB. If that pisses you off then so be it.

BTW does anybody believe he is 6 foot 1? He looks about 5-10.....if that.

20. SCOUT

Yeah, this sums it up for me.

A QB that passes 75% of the time but can run it, is a DUAL threat. I don't really know how else to state it.