1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Hunger Games movie

Discussion in 'South Oval' started by ouwasp, Mar 23, 2012.

1. ouwasp

ouwasp New Member

So I went to see this today with my wife. She has read the trilogy, as have our twins and my mother. And most of the students at the jr high where I teach.

But I have remained happily ignorant of The Hunger Games. I have so many other things I enjoy reading, I'll just watch the movie.

Now I might just read the books. The story was intriguing. It is set in a far-future Post-Apocalyptic society that requires a most unpleasant sacrifice from its citizens.

Pretty good escapist material. Old Don Sutherland was in it, along with Woody Harrelson. He seemed to steal the scenes he was in, imo. But the younger actors were very talented. The girl that played Roo, or Rue, however you spell it, is one to watch in the future!

If you find yourself "having" to take your kids or wife to see The Hunger Games, indulge them, and prepare to enjoy! The worst part was enduring the previews of some of the junk that's coming soon... :nonchalance:

2. Viking Kitten

Viking Kitten SoonerFans.com Elite Member

My 12-year-old dragged me to the 12:01 showing last night, we got home about 3 a.m. By 8:00 this morning, I was awake on my day off so I could start reading the book. Pretty good stuff. Orwellian overtones and all that.

As for the trailers, I'm thinking the Avengers looks pretty awesome.

3. achiro

achiro SoonerFans.com Elite Member

My son showed me the trailer for the movie a couple of months ago and it looked co enough that I read all three books the next week. We're going to try to get to the theater in the nex few days to check it out.

4. salth2o

salth2o New Member

I had not even heard of the movie until last night when my daughter said some of her friends were going to the midnight showing.

I wondered WTF was the big deal about seeing it last night at midnight? Was this the only showing? Will it not be showing next week? I don't understand humans sometimes...

5. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

Taking my 12 year old and his best friend tomorrow. Other than the previews, I haven't seen or know anything about it (which I prefer). My son is not the most avid reader, and he knocked out the trilogy pretty quick. I'm all for him reading, so anything that will keep his interest is good.

Going in blind, with no expectations, which usually translates to a good time.

Oh, and no Vampires, so that's a bonus.

6. SanJoaquinSooner

SanJoaquinSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I like not knowing anything about it also --- but I just hope there's no damned wizards.

7. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

I'm sitting in the IMAX waiting to see this one. My Wife and Daughter read the books and then lent them out before I had a chance to read them so my Son and I only know what was in the Trailers and the interviews some of the Actors have been doing to promote the Movie. Chelsey Handler had Stanley Tucci on her show to do an interview and I recorded it for my Daughter. Im glad I watched it before I let her watch it as Handler turned it into an "Adult" Rated interview. Some folks have no brains I swear. If you do a PG-13 Movie why promote it on an Adult Talk Show.

Anyway here come the previews....

8. 8timechamps

I actually enjoyed it. I think the boys (my 12 yo son and his biddy) were a little disappointed. In their words "There was too much love and not enough action!". I guess I could see that from a adolescent boy's perspective.

Anyway, having not read the books, I thought they did a good job of explaining everything in the time allowed. There were a few parts that kind of had me scratching my head, and I've always been a big Elizabeth Banks fan, but her beauty was not on display in this film. I also thought Lenny Kravits did a really good job. All in all, I thought it was pretty darn good.

If you have to take the kids to see it, and you haven't read the books, I would recommend NOT learning anything about it beforehand. Just enjoy the entertainment.

9. 8timechamps

I think that's about par for the course on her show. I used to like her, but not so much anymore.

10. SanJoaquinSooner

I haven't read the books and I haven't seen the film, but ...

1. The lead female, Jennifer Lawrence, showed GREAT talent in Winter's Bone. She was nominated for about every Best Actress award there is for her role in that. In case you haven't seen Winter's Bone, it's one of the best of the last five years. It won the top award at Sundance Film Festival. Jennifer Lawrence may be the next great actress.

2. Last week, Cramer said Lionsgate stock has been on a roll with anticipation of Hunger Games, but it needed to rake in at least $120 million this first weekend to avoid a sell-off with such high expectations. Analysts were estimating around $100 million. Preliminary figures show $155 million, the most ever for a non-sequel. And third most ever among all openings.

11. SanJoaquinSooner

Also, Cramer referred to Hunger Games as a four-quadrant movie - appealing to all four of the major demographic groups: males, females, over 25 and under 25.

Lots of stars in supporting roles. Woody Harrelson, Donald Sutherland, Stanley Tucci (Devil Wears Prada).

12. Viking Kitten

Word. For 12+ years, I've begged, I've pleaded, I've threatened, I've cajoled... and I've never been able to get that boy interested in books. I was reading Stephen King novels by the time I was 10 years old, so it's always been a major disappointment to me that he has not been an avid reader. Then these books came along and he was begging me to the store and buy his the next one in the series. After he watched the movie Thursday night, he even said something to the effect of "I can see now why you always say the books are usually better than the movies."

If this series kicks off a reading habit, I am going to be very happy with Suzanne Collins.

Speaking of...Did anyone else see the trailer for "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Slayer"? Is that maybe the most retarded movie concept in history or am I missing something?

8timechamps likes this.
  13. C&CDean

C&CDean Administrator

Before I became a Potterhead I would have scoffed at y'all over this thread. Now, I'll have to give the books and maybe the movie a shot. But I ain't going at midnight (I wouldn't do that even for the HP movies).

14. Viking Kitten

I can honestly say I think it's something you would really enjoy, Dean. Lots of descriptions of hunting and survival strategies, and satire regarding the fashionable people in the Capitol who look like idiots.

15. picasso

picasso SoonerFans.com Elite Member

And it's written for 12 year old kids. Right up Deaner's alley.

Howzit likes this.
  16. C&CDean

C&CDean Administrator

Want some candy little boy?

17. kbsooner21

kbsooner21 New Member

Heh

18. SicEmBaylor

SicEmBaylor Baylor Ambassador

I never read this kind of stuff, or fiction at all, but I read all 3 books this weekend just to see what the hype was about.

19. C&CDean

C&CDean Administrator

And?

20. SicEmBaylor

SicEmBaylor Baylor Ambassador

I suppose it exceeded my expectations (which were low). Teaching kids not to blindly accept that power is just is an important message. There were quite a few themes like that which resonated with me.

The protagonist chick was too emotionally flighty for me. I suppose it fits since she's a 16/17 year old girl, but holy mother of baby Jesus was she emotionally naive and ignorant. It was fairly irritating. I don't understand how someone can not know or have trouble figuring out how they feel about someone or something. It's always been completely black and white for me.

As for the love triangle itself, thank God she ended up with the right guy............finally.

The lack of personal hygiene by most of the characters was somewhat off putting.