1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FIRE CAPEL ! ! !

Discussion in 'Sooner Basketball' started by StoopTroup, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Crimsontothecore

Crimsontothecore New Member

And for that you would cut him some slack? Character evaluation is part of being a head coach, especially in basketball where one bad apple can spoil the barrel. Missing on one guy is forgivable but missing on three can devastate a program, as we are seeing. In reality, his coaching blunders have hurt this program worse than Sampson's excessive calls did. Whether you love him or hate him, Sampson wouldn't have lost to Chaminade with these same players.

2. okienole3

okienole3 New Member

If not for Blake Griffin, where would OU Basketball be today? Capel's only success was with one of the best college basketball players in the last 20 years, who happened to be handed to him on a silver platter.

Crimsontothecore likes this.
  3. stoopified

stoopified SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Billy Tubbs was 84-43after 4 years at OU,during that span he was 31-29 without Tisdale.This arguement is EPIC FAILURE.

If you do fire Capel what coach worth a damn could we hire? Nobody that is who_Ou has to hire an assistant who wants an HC gig or a young NC from a midmajor.Capel knows what he is doing.give him time to turn it around.By the end of next season OU will be back in the DANCE if Capel is the coach I and most netral observers believe.

I don't like losing to Chaminade either but it ain't like we are the only D-1 team to lose to them.At best we ALL knew going to Maui the BEST we were going to do is 1-2.Have some faith and some patience.

4. stoopified

stoopified SoonerFans.com Elite Member

As for recruiting flameouts,busts,try these names on for size under Tubbs,Sampson;Kroll,Cade,Evans,Combs, Roberts,Seager(no not Seiger),Gibson, Parks,Moore,Cotton,Humphrey,Alexander.I could come with more with a little searching,apparently all anyone recalls is what was good under Tubbs,Sampson, apparentlt nobody recalls the negative. As I said in my earlerpost there is no coach out there worth a damn who will take the job if Jeff us given the bum's rush.I am certain that Jeff has at the VERY least,through the end of next season to turn things around. That IMHO is as it should be.

5. Romulus

Romulus New Member

OU and Billy Gillespie are destined for each other. They are the best either could do and both need each other equally.

6. soonervegas

soonervegas New Member

I think it would be a better comparision to measure post Tisdale versus post Griffin:

Tubbs record the two year after Tisdale left: 50-19 (with 3 NCAA tourney wins). Capel so far post Griffin 16-21 and sinking.

OUmillenium likes this.
  7. northspeter

northspeter New Member

OU wouldn't touch him with someone elses 10 foot pole... that'd be almost like hiring sean sutton...

8. Romulus

Romulus New Member

He's the best coach that would come to OU

9. Adrian

Adrian New Member

Our hoops team would be tough again...

10. SoonerGrant

SoonerGrant New Member

I think Capel is just waiting to be picked up by someone back East. He doesn't give a hoot about OU Basketball.

11. nativesooner

nativesooner New Member

BRING BACK CALVIN SIMPSON!!! :D You guys realize that no big name coaches are coming to Norman right? Fire Capel for who? Brad Stevens?

[​IMG]

12. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Wow. If we got rid of Capel, I don't see that hiring another young coach is the right answer.

13. OUmillenium

OUmillenium New Member

I'll take the job, just let me know when its open

14. SoonerGrant

SoonerGrant New Member

3-10-2011.

15. Shakadoodoo

Shakadoodoo New Member

I am not sure if it is a new coach they need but need something!

16. nativesooner

nativesooner New Member

The only "experienced" head coach available is this guy...

[​IMG]

17. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

18. tommieharris91

tommieharris91 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

19. LiveLaughLove

LiveLaughLove New Member

The thing is Sampson's teams still competed on a high level even with the defections.

His style of play was ugly and boring at times, but it kept his lesser talent in games with the superior talent's.

Hard nosed unselfish defensive ball keeps you in games.

Capel has been recruiting prima dona's that don't play well with others. That's his fault and lack of character evaluation.

His style of play is what exactly? Hard nosed D? Fast break full court pressing? Coach K's fast break spread?

I really don't know. He should be demanding defense from these guys and tough rebounding. They aren't talented enough to run and gun or whatever it is they are doing these days.

I agree that we probably can't get much better of a HC right now, but this debacle has got to end soon. I hope he rights the ship. I don't see it and haven't for a long time.

20. SoonerMom2

SoonerMom2 New Member

At least Capel is honest and didn't cause OU all kinds of problems due to breaking the rules like Sampson and then Sampson went to Indiana and did the same thing. Cannot get over the love affair with Sampson when we usually went out in the first round of the NCAA. You would have thought the way some on here talk that we won a lot of National Championships under him.