1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FIRE CAPEL ! ! !

Discussion in 'Sooner Basketball' started by StoopTroup, Nov 24, 2010.

1. OUNASH

OUNASH New Member

He's had plenty of time to prove himself. Last year was horrible and this year is looking worse. I doubt we win 1-2 more games the rest of the year. We looked like Crapel.

2. Rock Hard Corn Frog

Rock Hard Corn Frog New Member

Agree.

Or a lot of money at Mike Anderson.

3. NormanPride

NormanPride SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I think we should hire an AAU coach like KSU did. Joe C likes to save money, and if we miss, who cares? Not like we're good right now anyway.

4. KBoomer11

KBoomer11 New Member

Capel took a perennial top 25 team to a cellar dwellar in the Big 12. Everywhere else he would have been fired already. Time to let him go.

5. OUMallen

OUMallen New Member

I think they gave him a pretty big extension and contract. I'd LIKE to think we could outdo that, but who knows.

6. OUMallen

OUMallen New Member

INDIANAPOLIS - Brad Stevens is content to keep coaching the Butler way.

The 33-year-old coach, who came within a buzzer-beating shot of winning the NCAA men’s basketball championship, signed a 12-year deal Thursday that extends through the 2021-22 season.

Team spokesman Jim McGrath declined to say how much the deal was worth, though Stevens had a total compensation package of $750,000 last season. Athletic director Barry Collier acknowledged Tuesday that Stevens was in line for a pay raise.

7. nativesooner

nativesooner New Member

uh huh, that's what we heard when Sampson was shown the door.... You were probably one of the ones saying we were in on Calipari, Turgeon, Pitino yet look who we got. I guess those guys wanted to come here but we took Capel to save a little $$? NO big time coach will want to come here to a stadium of 2000 people more worried about how many stars a Jr High WR from Podunk Arkansas has.

8. OU_Sooners75

OU_Sooners75 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

So why wait until next year?

The guy is a terrible coach!

9. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

Next year, let's schedule Colorado as our first conference game so that for at least one game, we'll be #1 in the conference, ahead of half the teams, tied with half the teams.

Oh wait... :(

10. 87sooner

87sooner New Member

wanted no part of turgeon.....and never thought calipari or pitino were options.....so what do you think now?

and i never suggested we'd attract a "big time coach"....
    i'm pretty sure i suggested gregg marshall somewhere in this thread....
    oh wait....there it is...at the end of my post you quoted...except you deleted that part...

11. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

I really think there's a chance of basketball being a bigger draw someday. But, as it is right now, the LNC isn't the most fun venue to attend events at. When I go back to my alma mater, I like to walk around campus and reminisce a little, you know? You get that with Owen Field. You don't get that with the LNC. I realize it's probably too late to make the Fieldhouse our primary bball arena after everything that's been invested into LNC...

Crazy thought: If we're averaging 2,000 fans per night anyway, why not just have some games at McCasland?

12. SoonerGrant

SoonerGrant New Member

Who's the Norman High coach this now a days...we could try that route. Hey, it worked once :p

13. nativesooner

nativesooner New Member

Oh wait... I see!! So what you (with your infinite wisdom) are suggesting is that we hire a successful mid major coach and he'll turn things right around right? Wait, THAT'S WHAT CAPEL WAS!!! Perhaps you should apply? I mean, you've obviously watched some basketball and feel that even you are more competent than Jeff. Then I can whine about you from my overpriced empty section.

14. 87sooner

87sooner New Member

capel "appeared" to fall into that category....
    but unfortunately....didn't realize capel's success was due to his assistant....anthony grant....
    grant took capel's players and did BETTER....
    then he went to uab and is doing well there....
    otoh....capel came here....had the best player in the country fall into his lap...and capel rode him to a big fat contract while demolishing our program....
    capel doesn't have a clue how to coach....recruit....retain players......or build a long term successful program...

the message board staple.....a poster bereft of ideas/intelligence/knowledge.....resorts to the immature "you should apply" defense.....
    stay all warm and fuzzy in your state of ignorance and bliss.....

15. 87sooner

87sooner New Member

here is a blurb written by jason whitlock before our elite 8 run a couple years ago...for your reading pleasure...

16. OUthunder

OUthunder Angry Bird

I'm pretty sure that my old HS team could beat OU this year. Capel needs to go bye-bye next year if this continues, if not at seasons end this year.

17. 87sooner

87sooner New Member

he needs to go after THIS year.....
    there is a ZERO % CHANCE he will turn it around...
    he simply cannot coach...
    expect more player defections after the season....
    and more excuses....
    it's time to cut our losses....
    get a new coach to try to turn things around...no reason to wait another year....

18. nativesooner

nativesooner New Member

Whitlock also said that Oklahoma was a hillbilly state that didn't allow black people and had no diversity whatsoever. If you're looking to back up your "highly intellectual" statements, you might chose someone else. I'm not saying Jeff is the 2nd coming of John Wooden, and maybe he does suck as a coach, but guess what, THAT'S WHO WE GOT!!! Wave some $$ in front of the Shockers coach, he won't come to a football school. We couldn't even get their baseball coach a few years ago, a former SOONER! I'm serious about "maybe you should apply", it's not a joke, or a defense. You obviously think you can do a better job so why not? Quit your day job and give it a shot. You can't do any worse than Jeff! Whoever is coaching, I'll continue to go to the games along with the 20 other people on the upper east while others get on here to complain about the attendance, coaching, security, poms etc etc..

19. nativesooner

nativesooner New Member

That would probably pack the house IF Coach Stoops was one of the doormen. :)

20. nativesooner

nativesooner New Member

Are there any other former AAU coaches having the same kind of success as Martin? If so, heck we might as well give it a shot! :D