1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone really think Stoops...

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by ObiKaTony, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Sooner70

Sooner70 Active Member

One thing for sure....one cannot win a NC unless one contends for a NC, and that usually means winning conference titles & now making playoffs. Stoops has done well at that, so I'd stick with him. Yep, there have been meltdowns in big games (the stomping by USC back in 2003?) that may call into account preparation or something, but no one can deny that Stoops is a winner. For awhile, I sorta subscribed to the burnout/stale theory, but no longer.....this last season proved to me that Stoops still has the fire burning and is all go on it. We love Bob. Now, Mike may be another story.

Here's a thought.....when Bob does decide to hang it up.....how about we get Mark over from Kentucky?

2. dwarthog

dwarthog Well-Known Member

Right now it's lack of numbers that has us behind those to two teams. Based on the "Star" count we are doing OK. Hopefully signing day will see us getting some of the kids that they been working on for a while which will move us up nicely.

I checked 247's rankings and here is what I found.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just for fun I'm throwing in the Mighty Alabama so we can marvel at their recruiting prowess...

Only 1 5* and they recruited 7 3*????

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  3. Since71ASooner4Life

Since71ASooner4Life Active Member

We should start a thread where the critics have an opportunity to name all the coaches, other than Saban and Meyer, who they are certain will win national championships during the next 10 years - thus making them obvious better options then Bob Stoops. That would be funny as hell to read in another 7 or 8 years.

4. olevetonahill

olevetonahill Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

5. Jacie

Jacie SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Let's see, Holgerson? no, WVU has him tied up. Strong? Not going to outbid the whorns for that talent. That leaves Gundy. We HAVE to go after him!

6. ObiKaTony

ObiKaTony New Member

In the big 12 itself there are 2 better coaches

Gary Patterson
    Art Briles

There programs are on par with OUs in recent success, and both Baylor and tcu have 5 percent of the tradition/glamour that Oklahoma has...

7. ObiKaTony

ObiKaTony New Member

It's also important to note that I believe Patterson or Art would be so amped up ton coach at OU (as did bob 17 years ago) I would replace bob in a minute based off the human component of complacency...

8. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

jkm the stolen pifwafwi SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I was curious about something so I looked it up. There once was a coach with an 8-13 bowl record, 0 national titles (0-3 in those games). He went on to win his last 4 bowl games and finished with 3 national titles. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Osborne

9. ObiKaTony

ObiKaTony New Member

Yeah, great analogy...here are some others

Jo Paterno
    Frank Beamer

What Tom did was amazing, and it came off OU (ironically enough) getting the hammer after Barry. The analogy stinks, when you consider without Switzer being gone, he wouldn't have been able to win , and right now art and Patterson are better coaches if you consider where there at (small schools) and where Bob is at. The r

10. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

FIRE VENABLES !!!

11. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

As long as we get to 15 we should be okay. 10-18 seems to be our sweet spot where we get enough playmakers to compete for national titles. Every time we go higher than 10 the class just seems to get decimated by attrition. When looking at individual players, 5.6 to 5.8 seems to be where all of those guys come from.

12. ObiKaTony

ObiKaTony New Member

Helped our defense, it helped the Clemson defense..sometimes change is needed for the sake sake of change...

13. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

That isn't the reason, the reason is that the better college football players are at the lower end of the texas rankings. Think about the team that is dominating recruiting in the state - Texas A&M - they underachieve pretty badly. It reminds me of Rice Baseball during the 00's. They perennially got the guys that weren't going to be drafted and were highly ranked every year.

14. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Come back when Stoops is on the hot seat or has set a schedule for retirement. The available coaching landscape could be completely different by then. Right now, you just sound like a kid making out an unrealistic Christmas list.

15. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

The Gary Patterson one cracks me up. He wouldn't have survived that going for 2 fiasco here.

16. manateepower

manateepower Member

Wouldn't be any funnier than the people who've been mocking anyone who dare to claim that Stoops is anything more than a slightly better Lloyd Carr.

17. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

Probably not a bad comparison. I'd just like to point out that in the 7 years following Carr, Michigan is a .500 team with 3 losing seasons. You are giving up a chance at a national title for most likely zero chance. Look at Nebraska -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nebraska_Cornhuskers_football_seasons

Yes, there is an Urban Meyer and a Nick Saban out there, but those guys are RARE. More likely, you get a Gus Malzahn or a Terry Bowden.

18. olevetonahill

olevetonahill Well-Known Member

Do you NOT see the stupidity of your post?
    With Bob gone? whats gonna happen?
    I say again I believe YOU are boarder line Retarded!
    Go steal some more of "Daddies" scotch

19. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Generic insult. Cute.

It's really nothing against the two you named; it's more that you only named two, and that you didn't mention the usual guys like Harbaugh, Saban, Meyer, etc. If you want to fire a coach, you should at least be able to reasonably name 10-20 guys the program would be in better hands with. You couldn't even get it to five.

20. manateepower

manateepower Member

Michigan didn't make a mistake firing Carr. He was getting stale and had been doing a very poor job developing talent. Michigan fell off because of institutional arrogance, and an awful Dave Brandon.

Nebraska is apples and oranges. Solich was fired after two mediocre seasons (though you could argue that 2003 wasn't all that bad).

Stoops has been around for 17 years, and has a lengthy history of performing poorly against teams with elite talent (you can list exceptions all you want. that is what they are. exceptions).

You could argue that Stoops is rejuvinated and will perform at a higher level AEB this past season. But the beatdown at the hands of Clemson showed how far we had fallen in terms of recruiting in development.