1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone really think Stoops...

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by ObiKaTony, Jan 8, 2016.

1. ObiKaTony

ObiKaTony New Member

He's 1-5 (elimination games not count?) And to point out a simple mistake that doesn't undercut the point:

It's been 16/17 years since we've won one which under stoops own standard is unacceptable is also a joke...

2. SoonerorLater

SoonerorLater Well-Known Member

No P5 Conference Program has won more games than OU since Bob Stoops has been the head coach. That stat right there should trump all else. National Championships are a result of winning and NC's will take care of themselves over large numbers of games.

3. pappy

pappy Well-Known Member

Stoops is also the longest tenured coach in the country since 2000. This makes that stat a little misleading. Stoops also averages 3 losses a season beginning with the 2005 season. ... I think Stoops leaves on his own after his kids graduate high school in a couple more years. ... I'm not saying fire Stoops, but I also don't think he wins another national championship.

I also think Stoops over achieved this year thanks to injuries to other teams. We would have lost to both Baylor and TCU if not for injuries to some of their players. We use injuries as excuses and in all honesty if Seth Russell doesn't get hurt at Baylor they are probably being crowned National Champs in 2 days.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  4. Since71ASooner4Life

Since71ASooner4Life Active Member

Baylor with Russell wouldn't have a prayer against either team playing monday, and I doubt they beat OU. Stidham was a pretty damn good QB - I'm not sure they lost anything going with him.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/stats/_/id/239/baylor-bears

And as far as TCU and healthy QB, the same can be said for OU playing without QB courtesy of that goon Ty Summers.

5. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Yes.

6. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I'd love to see somebody make a list of better coaches. If that list was much longer than about 5, we'd have some really good LOL-material to look back on in a few years.

7. Since71ASooner4Life

I'd offer that Saban (he's only 8-8 in bowl games, but does have the 4 NCs) and Urban Meyer (he's 9-2 in bowl game with 3 NCs) are the 2 that are better than Stoops. Close NC game losses the 2 very best are hardly a disgrace

Forget about the 4th and 5th that are better - I'd like to hear who the 3rd is. You could argue Les Miles at 8-6 is in the same league, but he's only been to 2 NCs and lost one. Pete Carroll was 7-2 with 1-1 NC game record.

8. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

jkm the stolen pifwafwi SoonerFans.com Elite Member

If you think about it, all of Barry's success came from 3 recruiting classes (72, 77, 84). Are you saying that Stoops can't put together a single class?

9. BigTip

BigTip Well-Known Member

A lot of schools would be thrilled to get the chance to lose in "big" games like we have. But we have won some too.

I always think of the Buffalo Bills when they went to four straight Super Bowls, only to lose. Were they a bad team because they didn't win it all? I don't think so.

To me winning it all is sort of like getting a hole in one golfing. You have to be good, but you also have to get lucky.

10. SoonerorLater

SoonerorLater Well-Known Member

I suppose you could arbitrarily pick a timeline to make a point but the fact remains that under Bob Stoops watch no other P5 program has either won more games or has a higher winning percentage. Combine that with the fact the program seems to now be trending upward and any talk about replacing Stoops is just plain silly.

11. Since71ASooner4Life

Marv Levy isn't in Canton for being a bad coach

12. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

jkm the stolen pifwafwi SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Or winning a lot as a college coach.

13. Breadburner

Breadburner Well-Known Member

Doosh thread starters gonna doosh.......

14. olevetonahill

olevetonahill Well-Known Member

Jealous much? Dont you know his Granny has a Championship ring and his daddy was a rassler?

15. Turd_Ferguson

Turd_Ferguson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

daddy...lmao.

16. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

Really, we shouldn't be getting on Stoops... where in the hell have our bagmen been to cede control of Texas' top recruits to Texas A&M and the SEC?

Why have our secret boosters allowed these five stars to go elsewhere? Are you worried about the economy? Oh boo hoo, my car dealership doesn't have Clash for Clunkers anymore. My oil portfolio is looking thin with $40 per barrel pricing, and Wall Street has tanked in 2016. Boo freaking hoo, you 1 percenter. DO. YOUR. JOB. Empty your bank account, and start handing out the cash like its 2016 national championship or bust. If Ole Miss is beating you out for recruits, YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG.

Starting winning us recruiting wars, or consider yourself FIRED as OU bagmen. We are Oklahoma. Surely we can find other top boosters out there who can perform $100 handshakes better than anyone else in the country.

:D

17. swardboy

swardboy SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Precisely why I'm all in on Lotto...buy mucho recruits!

18. Tear Down This Wall

Tear Down This Wall Well-Known Member

No he will not win another one. He had the ridiculous luck of playing the three other competitive teams in the conference without starting their QBs - and, without some of the defensive starters - plus Kansas State playing a WR at QB.

There is no way that happens again. The Texas games over the past three seasons have been atrocious. And, the Clemson post-season games show we've fallen down to at least ACC-level competitiveness.

That the ACC has caught up to the Big 12 is, really, sad. But, we're a part of that problem in allowing Texas to dictate who comes and goes in the league, Boren and Castiglione following along like lost puppies because Texas agrees to feed us more table scraps than the others.

I expect 3-5 losses every year Stoops remains. I expect to continue to watch physical teams brutalize our undersized lines in important games.

What it has come down to is this: the unexpected 2000 national title, plus the weakening of the Big 12 conference have basically given Stoops a lifetime pass here. The only thing that will trip him up are his own players' off the field antics.

He'll give one too many second chances and will get burned...and, the program along with it.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  19. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

Eff yes. With Powerball, OU will buy all of the recruits.

But isn't there limits to scholarships per class or overall?

Yes, but that is why they walk-on. You'll get all the meals of the real football players, but none of the scholarship that players don't care about anyway.

What shall Powerball provide each OU recruit?

$1,000 for taking an unofficial visit, where recruits will collect

$2,000 upon arrival at campus, where they will verbal, followed by

$500 for each fellow recruit they convince to unofficially visit and (additional $500) verbal, then

$5,000 for signing a LOI, and

$10,000 for arriving on campus and not leaving before the football season starts, at which point, an additional

$10,000 will be paid upon the start of each season the athlete is enrolled, playing football, and not leaving for whatever reason.

:D National championship here we come

20. rock on sooner

rock on sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Small point of correction...Kirk Ferentz was hired at Iowa the same
    year that Stoops was at OU...(and is still there..overpaid and overrated.)