1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

800 lb. Gorilla in the room

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by SoonernAR, Dec 31, 2015.

1. SoonernAR

SoonernAR New Member

Stoops bowl record is now 8-9, it is a legitimate criticism of his tenure because of the way alot of those losses occurred. Nayionally in years to come and we are on the bubble of making the playoffs, these ongoing post season implosions will way heavily in voter's minds.

2. Jason White's Third Knee

Jason White's Third Knee SoonerFans.com Elite Member

The game wasn't pretty, but we were up at the half. Spooky calls aren't fun and they changed the game, but being down to your 4th string RB when that was such a big part of the game? Bob can't fix that. Only Mr. Miagi can

3. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

When you are playing in BCS and championship/playoff games, your competition is going to be better

We were lucky to be where we were thus year

I sure like Shep's story better if he wins this one though. Was still a fun year.

4. CatfishSooner

CatfishSooner New Member

Stoops needs to pick it up

5. Okie35

Okie35 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

We overachieved this year ... I thought we'd be in this position next year oh well every team in the playoff had more talent than us .. us and msu were about even. Its about recruiting.

6. SoonerBorn

SoonerBorn Member

My take is that Stoops doesn't do well with that much time off. I don't know if he and his staff switch to vacation mode or what, but it's usually a different team that shows up at the bowl game. Clearly no real adjustments happened on our side at halftime.

7. FaninAma

FaninAma SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Stoops got out-schemed badly. Dabo is a riverboat gambler and it is obvious hiscoaching staff takes their cues from him. He gambled his QB wouldn't get hurt and he used the 3 weeks between theregular season and this game to tweak and adjust their running game. Mike Stoops never adjusted. He never stacked the line while Venables did and dared Riley to abandon the running game and long pass game. Riley will learnand get better. Mike Stoops won't. It appears Clemson's coaching staff studied the Texas game film a lot. Stoops should have anticipated this.

8. Sooner70

Sooner70 Active Member

Agree with Okie35. We caught Baylor without their star QB, and eked out a 1 pt victory over a decimated TCU team. OU was fortuate to get this far, but they did what it takes. The heart/soul , swagger and committment of this team was commendable. I think Stoops was sincere when he compared them to his 2000 NC bunch, but they're just not quite there yet. OU has a very, very good football team, but Clemson has an excellent all around team, and Bama appears to have the platinum model again. we'll see.

9. SoonernAR

SoonernAR New Member

Skip Bayless @RealSkipBayless

Bob Stoops, worst big-game motivator in college football, sent out a defense tonight that wasn't ready to match Clemson's intensity.

10. rock on sooner

rock on sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Skip Bayless? RILLY? A waste of good keystrokes and on air oxygen!

Flagstaffsooner likes this.
  11. Mookie91

Mookie91 Member

Two knocks I have on the Stoops dynasty. First it seems as if they are unable to get the little things right namely special teams and penalties. The other is what I call the "Mike Tyson Syndrome", they are bad ***, smack talking swagger junkies when they are throwing their best stuff at the opponent but as soon as they get punched in the face the crumple like a cheap suit.

12. rock on sooner

rock on sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

SoonerBorn makes a good point...I'd really rather see two weeks or less
    between the end of the season and the post season bowl. When Stoops
    has his teams on a roll (like the last seven games of this season) the swagger
    is more pronounced and the outcomes are more enjoyable and predictable.
    This time around all the talking heads had it that OU is the most balanced
    team in all three phases, yada yada and, frankly, I think the team heard it
    enough that it affected their play. Just my opinion, doncha know?

13. SoonernAR

SoonernAR New Member

But in this case, he was on point. Stoops has more than a monkey on his back now, if we are a 1-loss conference champ next year.......the CFP commitee will leave us on the outside.

14. Pride1Mom

Pride1Mom Member

Stoops didn't have the un-sportsmanship penalty, or threw the interceptions, or didn't block the sacks on the QB. OU looked like they had practiced TOO hard, and was already tired. They really missed Charles Walker, who got a concussion during practice. Obviously Perine's ankle injury never healed before this game.....

Clemson looked BIG, and they were faster than I thought they would be. Maybe OU gave up too soon on the Defensive Coordinator.....and settled for the wrong one, brother or no.

15. PhiDeltBeers

PhiDeltBeers Finding the apex

If we finish next year with 1 loss, chances are we'll be number 1 going into the playoffs. Look at the schedule.

16. PhiDeltBeers

PhiDeltBeers Finding the apex

Perspective in this thread is a joke. I'm the farthest thing from a pumper as I thought we might go .500 after the Texas game. We end up with a Big 12 title and a trip to the CFP and we b*tch about Bob's short comings? Am I upset we lost? Yeah, almost lost my voice watching the game, but at the end of the day....damn impressive season and I give it up to them and one of Bob's best coaching years. Boomer!

17. Mookie91

Mookie91 Member

I will agree that after Texas I'd have said this would have been an impressive run. Now back to your perspective, don't forget context and we played TCU with a 3rd string QB and Baylor/OSU with a backup.

18. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

This was one of Stoops' finer years. The fact that we were within 6 quarters of #8 with this team is nothing short of miraculous. We've had WAY more talented teams. It doesn't sound like we'll have any first rounders, and we may not even have any second rounders. I can't really think of a reason not be optimistic about next year at this point.

19. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Baylor's backup was a stud, and OSU's QB had started plenty of games. Both on the road as well, so they were still impressive.

20. Mookie91

Mookie91 Member

You know I'm doom and gloom. You keep hearing Stoops talk about we practice this and we practice that. You'll here, we talked about discipline. The problem seems to be in the heat of it, none of that seems to work. It seems like they need either smarter players or players with better attitudes. I can't say enough about the presence and class of guys like Darlington and Striker but then you have Baker, a Heisman snub, barking at Clemson players pregame and then going out and playing poorly.