1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big XII may need to add two more teams for a CCG

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by deweydw, Dec 7, 2015.

1. delhalew

delhalew SoonerFans.com Elite Member

No worries. At this point I can just about imagine what he said!

2. tycat947

tycat947 New Member

+1!

3. tycat947

tycat947 New Member

JerryWorld is indoor stadium with the roof shut.

4. ddub0224

ddub0224 Active Member

I didn't like the CCG when we had it but I think it is less of a liability than the current "play everyone" system from a conference standpoint. The other conferences can can get multiple teams in the top 10 and a handful in the top 15 because they don't all play each other. That makes the conference look stronger. It is unrealistic for the Big 12 to ever have more than 2 in the top 10 at the end of the year because of the math. Either we have 3 1-loss teams, or our third best team will have 2-losses. And as long as the 2-loss teams are TCU, Baylor, or OSU, then they don't have the "name" weight to keep them up in the rankings with a 2-loss big name program.

SoonerMarkVA likes this.
  5. Rock Hard Corn Frog

Rock Hard Corn Frog New Member

True. I think the Big XII needs a championship game much more than Oklahoma does. Still I think it is in the best interest of Oklahoma for the league to have a championship game. They might not realize it yet but I think it is in Notre Dame's best interest now to be in a league. Would like to get in the habit of getting to beat ND on a regular basis. I'm not opposed to 14 teams though I think 12 is just fine. I'm not THAT concerned about exactly which 2 teams they are because I don't think Oklahoma's prestige and national respect is tied to who those teams are. I would say in rough order I would go after: Notre Dame, Lousiville, Memphis, Houston, BYU, Colorado St or Air Force.

Again I think the Big 12 needs it worse than Oklahoma but it would help us too.

6. tycat947

tycat947 New Member

The committee keeps talking out both sides of their a$$! First it's supposed to be the BEST 4 teams. NOW, they want only conference champions. AND they must be crowned champions thru a championship game! NONSENSE! The Big 12 has a conference champion! They keep moving the target! If a stupid championship game is required (whether or not all the conference teams play each other and determine a true champion!) then STATE that in the requirements! They need to take the politics out, or they should get out!

7. SoonerMarkVA

SoonerMarkVA New Member

This is a fascinating point that I had never considered, nor (obviously) ever heard before. You really nailed it. We're promoting the "all teams play" as such a feather in our cap, and you completely destroyed that by showing the conference really can't have multiple contenders going into the end of the year, ensuring those teams beaten don't count for nearly as much as they would otherwise.

Well done!

8. Jacie

Jacie SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Notre Dame managed to play for the 2012 national championship and almost got into the playoff this year w/o conference affiliation. I don't think the irish need help from anyone in football. Yeah the Big XII can make an overture, extend to them an invitation to join, just don't get bent out of shape when they return the envelope unopened.

9. SoonerMarkVA

SoonerMarkVA New Member

The Irish are generally getting what they need in their alliance with the ACC. There will be no ND to the XII.

10. Rock Hard Corn Frog

Rock Hard Corn Frog New Member

You might be right. I don't think we will ever know until the committee is put in a position like they almost were this year of choosing Notre Dame or a conference champion. We learned very little about the committee this year because there was no real choice to be made this year.

Personally I don't care that much if it is ND that would join the Big XII but I think expanding to 12 teams in a good idea and they are the best choice to start. I would totally be fine if it was Memphis and Houston. It is a secondary concern but Baker Mayfield is not going to New York because he didn't have a game last Saturday. Primarily I think having that 13th game will over time help us.

11. Soonerjeepman

Soonerjeepman SoonerFans.com Elite Member

12. stoopified

stoopified SoonerFans.com Elite Member

IF we are going to have a CCG we MUST add at least 2 teams t divide into divisions so we will not always be assured of a rematch game as we currently are. In adding teams teams I think it is unlikely we would land any Power 5 conference teams so we are looking fo scholls with potential much like WV and TCU.

In that way of thinking I think the first thing is we do NOT add any more Texas teams as we already saturate the Texas market .I would suggest schools who show a history of success long term even without having been a Power 5 team.To this end I would that choosing 2-4 teams from these institutions;Bowling Green,Ohio,Cincinatti,Toledo,Miami of Ohio.That would do several things for you,among other thiadd a huge recruiting footprint in talent rich Ohio. It also opens up a new area of TV markets and fans.In addition it would give WV some geographical rivals so they are not isolated from the entirety of the Big 12'The final factr is it would limit us to two time zones unlike adding BYU or Air Force or(gag) Boise State.

13. hawaii 5-0

hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

My 2 cents.....

I'd be OK with adding Rice and Houston. Get back to 12 teams with a Conference Championship Game.

Louisville would be OK also.

5-0

14. deweydw

deweydw Well-Known Member

I'd like to see either Louisville or Cincy and lure Iowa away from the B1G.

15. deweydw

deweydw Well-Known Member

Another article on the Big XII expansion. It's all the same as the other story. But had to get to the bottom of the article to get this...

16. ddub0224

ddub0224 Active Member

The Big 12 missed their shot at landing Louisville. And let's be real, we are not stealing any teams away from another Power 5 conference. We can talk TV markets, but its the play on the field (and other major sports most notably basketball) that will make the decision. If the Big 12 expands, my money is on Memphis, Cincy, or Houston and probably in that order.

17. ddub0224

ddub0224 Active Member

Geographically you could do 2 scenarios:

#1 adding Cincy & Memphis
    North division: Iowa St, 2 Kansas schools, WV, Cincy, Memphis
    South divison: 2 OK schools and 4 TX schools
    *north would be pathetic compared to south

#2 adding USF and UCF
    North division: 2 OK schools, 2 Kansas schools, WV and Iowa St
    South division: 4 TX schools and 2 FL schools

18. TAFBSooner

TAFBSooner Well-Known Member

I still want to see the line be I-40. OSwho can finally win a "championship,"

. . . and we get to beat them twice a year!

This is more a fun taunt for my orange friends than a realistic plan.

19. swardboy

swardboy SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I've always thought that USF would put the whole conference in a great recruiting hotbed. Nice stadium. I've got family in Tampa so I need an excuse to fly down there too :0

20. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

geographically, Memphis and Houston aren't bad

i honestly don't think it matters too much

going back down to 8 conference games and adding a CCG would be cool