1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Curly Bill's mea culpa...

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Curly Bill, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Tear Down This Wall

Tear Down This Wall Well-Known Member

Plus, the odds of us playing three games in a row where the opponents' starting quarterbacks are out is pretty low as well. You take advantage of good luck when you can get it. We got it in spades in November from the Football Injury Gods...for a change. Normally, we're beat up and playing without starters in November.

2. SoCalBigRed

SoCalBigRed Well-Known Member

You're concerned about the roster two years down the road?

You haven't any idea the level of talent, what that talent will be doing, etc.

How many picked Mayfield, to be in contention for the Heisman? How many predicted a 10-1 season and a role in the first ever playoffs?

Now we're projecting what we'll be next year, the year after, when most thought we were going to suck this year.

LMAO!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  3. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

11-1 season. The "11" is significant as in "my amp goes to 11".

4. SoCalBigRed

SoCalBigRed Well-Known Member

Yes, my error! Props for the Spinal Tap reference.

5. kbsooner21

kbsooner21 New Member

nevermind

6. hornswaggled

hornswaggled New Member

Yes, there is no doom left from the start of this season. Next season will surely make up for that.

7. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

jkm the stolen pifwafwi SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I think I pretty much pegged this year's team. What a lot of people don't understand is that Stoops runs in 4-5 year cycles because he overloads a class with players. You have a down year when a huge class graduates (think 2005/2009) and then the next huge class starts winning over the next 3 years. This year is the end of that cycle.

8. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

Whoa, I thought we were an 11 win team this year.

9. BermudaSooner

BermudaSooner Well-Known Member

If only there was a way to get more players....

10. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

The running back thing is minor, the other positions take this thing called time.

11. cherokeebrewer

cherokeebrewer New Member

The future is now! Don't worry, be happy...

BoulderSooner79 likes this.
  12. Since71ASooner4Life

Since71ASooner4Life Active Member

I too ran my mouth after defending the coaches for many years, so I'm eating my words too. But whereas I've taken that embarrassed look in the mirror, I've also asked myself where we'd be if Baker Mayfield doesn't magically drop from the sky into our laps? No question the defense has been significantly improved over last year, but I think we also got some unpleasant insights and maybe an answer to that question during the 2nd half of TCU.

I guess I've concluded that sometimes emotions cloud my vision and I'm not as level headed as I'd like to believe I am. And nobody can cook a steak with hamburger

13. FaninAma

FaninAma SoonerFans.com Elite Member

You know I have been one of the biggest pessimists around but after this year I think player transitions/losses will be a lot smoother than in the past. Why you may ask? Because OU has a tremendously better assistant coaching staff than they have had the previous 5 years before this year. I have every confidence that LR can develop good talent at both the QB and WR position. I think Bedenbaugh will do the same with the OL. And I don't know whther the defensive improvement is due to a light bulb finally going off in MS' head or if the new hires on the defensive side of the ball are the reason that unit is playing better. I think it is probably a combination of both.

My only concerns are the loss of our best assistant coaches and the inability to evaluate talent in the next 2 years because OU's success this year and next will fill the recruiting cuoboards with lots of talent if the coaches can choose right candidates. Even in this area I think LR, Bedenbaugh and the new defensive assistants are much better at evaluating talent.

I have always thought that good coaching makes up for a lot of player deficiencies. Sure you need good players but all things being equal I think coaching ability carries the day and the current Sooner caoching staff is one of the best(if not THE best) in the nation.

14. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

LOLOLOL

15. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

16. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

17. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

all of the quotes were from Week 1 and Week 2. that post was just seeing how well i did (like usual)