1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The pass interference call

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by oupride, Sep 14, 2015.

1. oupride

oupride New Member

Seemed like the correct call to me. Some were saying "uncatchable." Of course I am speaking of the second-and-14 from the Tennessee 31 in the final four minutes of the game, Mayfield tried to hit A.D. Miller in the back of the end zone, the throw was high and Miller was pulled down by Tennessee nickelback Malik Foreman. How does anyone actually know it was uncatchable? I watched all the angles that were broadcast and it looked like the correct call. What if Miller had not gotten hit, and he was "hit." And I think that is why the ref threw the flag.

Question: If you do not call pass interference on Foreman that clearly decked Miller, then what is the deterrent from declaring open season on ALL receivers? For example, receivers away from the play or other side of the field? The ball would be "uncatchable" to them, right? Does anyone have knowledge of the rules that somehow prevents hits on receivers on every play?

Hope this question makes sense.

2. Serenity Now

Serenity Now Well-Known Member

Uncatchable is not a rule in college to my understanding. How you describe it would be personal fouls.

If it wasn't really interference it covered for one of the other PI calls that were missed. Similar to how I felt about the Cowboys last night. They missed an obvious one early in the game. They got a not so obvious one later in the game. Both were in the end zone. Even, steven.

3. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

jkm the stolen pifwafwi SoonerFans.com Elite Member

If you watch the replay, the ball hit him in the stomach out of bounds. The initial angle made it look uncatchable but it only landed about 3 yards out of the back of the end zone. Once they showed what the refs saw that was clear PI.

4. SoonerorLater

SoonerorLater Well-Known Member

Actually I think they could have called the defender for PI even before the hit at the back of the end zone. It looked like he grabbed some shirt as Miller crossed the goal line. I'd like to take another look at that play.

5. winout

winout New Member

If it was uncatchable then why did they interfere?

6. Curly Bill

Curly Bill I'm a shootist

I think it likely was uncatchable (though not for certain), but it was such a boneheaded play by the Tennessee defender it had to be called.

7. OUmillenium

OUmillenium New Member

It was not that far out of the endzone. If OU receiver was allowed to jump he prob could have put hands on it. TV Announcers made it sound like the ball was thrown 10 rows up in the stands. 100% correct call.

8. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

This is exactly what I saw. I thought it was a bad call when I viewed it live, but that replay from another angle clearly showed he could have reached the ball and the refs got it right. It would have been a difficult catch, but the defender took away the opportunity.

9. Sooner70

Sooner70 Active Member

I think the other factor was the defender didn't really look back to the ball. it appeared he just went after the receiver without even knowing what was happening. Or maybe he did and he was desperate. Anyway, Think if he'd looked back & made an effort to play on the ball instead of the receiver, might not hae been called.

10. AzianSooner

AzianSooner Well-Known Member

Reps robbed us the fumble - touchdown one earlier. This is fair.

11. 65Mustang

65Mustang New Member

Here is an excerpt from the NCAA rule book.

Defensive pass interference is contact beyond the neutral zone by a Team B player whose intent to impede an eligible opponent and it could prevent the opponent the opportunity of receiving a catchable forward pass. When in question, a legal forward pass is catchable.....

In other words, assume it is catchable, unless absolutely evident it is not.

I recall the Holiday Bowl against Oregon where we had a PI called against us where the ball was 10 rows up in the stands.

. I cannot recall an instance of obvious PI where it was ruled uncatchable.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
    oupride likes this.
  12. oupride

oupride New Member

I guess I was confused by the demeanor of the Tennessee coach as if he expected the refs not to call PI. The clouds have parted and I can see clearly now. Thank you everyone that responded to my question.

13. BoulderSooner79

That's one of the coaches jobs to try to sway calls to go their way. It all evens out in the long run.

14. 65Mustang

65Mustang New Member

Up to that point every call had gone their way. Two obvious PI calls at about the 2 minute mark in the first half against Moseley were not called. The obvious PI in the 3rd among several. After the PI was called, the rest of the game was called evenly.

15. Widescreen

Widescreen SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Except when it doesn't. See Oregon in Eugene.

16. S.PadreIsl.Sooner

S.PadreIsl.Sooner Well-Known Member

^^this^^

17. BoulderSooner79

Those egregious calls happen every few years. Anyone that has achieved the age of two years old has figured out that life's not fair.

My only point is that coaches will always work the refs and it will pay off if they do it correctly.

18. Salt City Sooner

Salt City Sooner New Member

19. Pride1Mom

Pride1Mom Member

There was actually pass interference before they were in the end zone, though that wasn't the play they called it on. But the refs missed more important plays than that, so at least one was in OU's favor!

20. oupride

oupride New Member