1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grissom at tight end?

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by swardboy, May 4, 2015.

1. swardboy

swardboy SoonerFans.com Elite Member

From Dallas Morning News blog....A couple of eye-popping notes post-draft. Love Belechik's comment on Geneo:

DE Geneo Grissom, 97[SUP]th[/SUP] overall pick (Round 3, Pick 33) by New England Patriots
    Analysis: Grissom was the third pick of the year for New England, and all three were devoted to the defensive side of the ball, including a first-round selection of Texas’ Malcom Brown. After spending a few seasons switching between defensive systems and positions, a stable place like New England should be a healthy fit for the edge rusher.

The buzz: Grissom’s versatility and ability to adjust positions was a big draw for Patriots coach Bill Belichick. “He’s a player that has played a couple of different spots,”Belichick said at a press conference. “He’s a pretty athletic, versatile guy in Oklahoma’s defense over the last couple of years.” Grissom also worked out at tight end at OU’s pro day, which Belichick said was as good a workout as he’d seen at the position this year.

TE Blake Bell, 117[SUP]th[/SUP] overall pick (Round 4, Pick 18) by San Francisco 49ers
    Analysis: Bell joins what is already seen as a crowded group at tight end as the seventh player at the position on San Francisco’s roster. He didn’t really shine as much as he could have in one season at the position at OU, but he can’t ask for a much better situation with little pressure with the 49ers. He even has an all-pro tight end to learn from with Vernon Davis ahead of him.

The buzz: 49ers general manager Trent Baalke sees an interesting similarity to a current pro in Blake Bell. While he opened by saying he doesn’t make comparisons, but continued to show how Jimmy Graham and Blake Bell took similar paths to the NFL by switching from quarterback to tight end, according to SFGate.com. “When you look statistically at Jimmy Graham and you compare his college statistics to Blake Bell’s, I think you’ll see that they’re very similar, right?” Baalke said. “Once again, that’s a Pro Bowl tight end. He’s had a heck of a career. Not making that comparison at all.” Graham had 17 catches, 213 yards and five touchdowns in 2009 at Miami while Bell had 16 catches for 214 yards and four scores

Of course Blake would have to work on his goal-post dunking skilz.....oh wait, that's illegal now.

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  2. EatLeadCommie

EatLeadCommie New Member

He was a TE in HS, and a very highly rated one at that, IIRC. But Gronk is in NE. He won't be playing TE anytime soon.

3. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Gronk is always hurt, and they utilized Hernandez and Gronk at the same time.

4. Widescreen

Widescreen SoonerFans.com Elite Member

There's no way he'll beat out Hernandez, though.

5. azheat4u

azheat4u Member

Why cuz Hernandez might have him killed? Hernandez is in jail for life.

6. Soonerfan88

Soonerfan88 Well-Known Member

7. swardboy

I did not realize Graham was used at the same level Blake was in college. Just goes to show how a player can blossom in a different system, even going from college to pro level. Hope the 49er's use Blake in a similar way. It would be interesting to see how he performs with a proven QB.

8. Widescreen

Widescreen SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Yes, I'm fully aware of the Hernandez situation. Sheesh.

9. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

But do you really? What if I gave you a pop quiz?

10. Pricetag

Pricetag SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Did the 'Niners bring in a proven QB?

11. swardboy

Lol....I've been reading about the new and improved Kaepernick after working with some QB guru. I guess time will tell.

12. Breadburner

Breadburner Well-Known Member

Kapernick sucks......

13. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

14. cvsooner

cvsooner Well-Known Member

Kurt Warner. Pretty good QB to learn from.

15. Since71ASooner4Life

Since71ASooner4Life Active Member

Yep.

Despite decades of evidence, its amazing how many people still think some combination of above average running ability can make up for less than great passing ability and somehow translate to being a great NFL QB. Tennessee Titan fans are next in line to see that it doesn't work - unless their prized recruit somehow becomes a better passer. If not he's destined for the scrap heap with RG3.

I'll probably get plenty of argument with what I say next, and that is that Russell Wilson isn't among the elite QBs. 200 yards a game passing and running for 50 doesn't come close to what an Aaron Rodgers does. And the way Seattle doesn't appear hurried to hand him a $100M contract, it looks to me that they don't see him in the elite class either.

16. Salt City Sooner

Salt City Sooner New Member

IMO, it remains to be seen if that's an issue with MM, or rather, will he make the transition from the spread to a pro style. He was pretty darn deadly in the former (68% Comp. % w/ 42 TD's against only 4 picks), but so was a guy named Tebow (who was actually 2nd in career passing efficiency behind Bradford until MM overtook him for that spot this past year) & we all know how that one worked out when he tried to make said switch.

17. Since71ASooner4Life

Since71ASooner4Life Active Member

Admittedly, I didn't see that much of Marioto. But from what I did see (mostly highlight film) I wasn't overly impressed with his throwing motion. And not that it was unimpressive, but most of the highlights I saw were throwing to wide open receivers which means nothing. Well, maybe Tebow cant do that :>)

He's a fine human being and because of that I really want to see him do well, but I just cant say I see a high probability that he will. Unfortunately, that unfine human being from FSU looks like the better prospect. But what the heck do I know - I predicted that character would play a significant role and he wouldn't be even a high round draft pick.

18. Tear Down This Wall

Tear Down This Wall Well-Known Member

Agree, 117%. Generally, though, this is the genius of Pete Carroll - he coaches and puts together teams that don't really too heavily on the QB to be successful. He seems to do this:

(1) Start with a hard-nosed, run-stopping defense
    (2) Identify what his offensive skill players can do, then shapes the offense around their skill sets.

I know that looks really, really simple. And, it is. There is a reason simple-minded Pete is in Seattle taking the Seahawks to Super Bowls while trick-it-up-and-ignore-the-defense Mike Leach sits on the other side of the state with an ever failing Wazzu.

I dislike both Pete and Mike. But, give me tough-in-the-trenches as*s-kickers over whizz-bang-offensive geniuses every time.

We need to get back to simplifying the game on offense and being tougher in the trenches on defense. We have gotten way far away from that. Too far away.

19. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

While Wilson may be a system QB in Seattle, I don't believe he represents an abundant commodity either. The guy is extremely elusive and smart. He only runs in very low risk situations and protects himself a high percentage of the time. I believe he is less likely to get hurt than a pocket passer because he will escape that awkward, twisting take downs the immobile guys take. He also has a very strong arm. He may not last into his mid-30s since he might lose a step and can't make up for that in the pocket with his height, but he is not a QB that can be easily replaced by some random dual threat guy out of college.

20. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

Scrambling QBs sometimes have their way with certain NFL defenses and college ones too. My beloved Packers have fallen playoff victim to Michael Vick and Colin Kaepernick, just like my beloved Sooners fell in the Cotton Bowl to Juanito Futbol.

QBs by definition must be pass-first in the NFL, because their health mandates it, as does today's pass-happy NFL. To Marvin Lewis' credit, he knew exactly how to get scrambler Johnny:

Before you know it, he's running into traffic to prove his manliness and goes out for the season on injury :rolleyes: