1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone here consider osu to be a football rival?

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by stoopified, Feb 7, 2014.

1. stoopified

stoopified SoonerFans.com Elite Member

As I was watching the season highlights posted on this site,I got really into the Puke game.This brought to mind the question ,do we (as Sooner fans) consider Pickens boys to be rivals?

To me the answer is short and sweet- NO! While I would agree they are rivals in basketball and baseball,they are most defiinitely NOT a football rival. To be a true rival the two teams should be evenly or near evenly matched and each has sustained periods of success against one another.OU has had two TRUE rivals in my lifetime,Texas and Nebraska.We hold a slight edge of abot 6 games over Nebraska,and while we trail the overall series vs.UT,the last 60 years have been a dead heat with OU controlling the series in the 50's 70's,80's,00's and are crrently up 3-1 in the 10's. At no point in history has osu ever accomplished a perod of dominance over OU. A true rival pushes you to be better and the Neon Orange Bunch has not done that.

The nearest they can come is going 3-1 in the Smellyburger-Boo era,which are arguabely the 4 worst teams in OU modern football history,if not all time history.I will admit that Pickens' money,their facility upgrades,and with Gundy's coaching ,hey are more competitive but they aren't there yet.Gundy who is the all-time winningest Poke HC is still only 1-8 vs. OU.

For ME to consider the ags a rival,Gundy would need to hang around Stoolwater another 21 years and finish with a career record of about 12-18 against us.That would mean winning 11 of the next 21. That to me is what it would take to consider them a football rival. Ain't gonna happen.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  2. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

Re: Does anyone here consider odu to be a football rival?

Old Dominion? ;)

3. Soonerwake

Soonerwake New Member

Those darned Monarchs...

4. birddog

birddog SoonerFans.com Elite Member

We spanked em in men's tennis and it sure heated things up

5. Soonerwake

Soonerwake New Member

Concerning the aggies, I don't really know if they are a rival or not. I know that I root for all teams over them, the horns included. I would rather lose to the horns than the ags. Of course, I think that is due to the fact that I live in Oklahoma and have friends and family that are aggies, while I meet or know only a few horns. That feeling might change if I lived in DFW.

6. Curly Bill

Curly Bill I'm a shootist

I live in Texas and I root for anybody & everybody over the whorns!

7. OU_Sooners75

OU_Sooners75 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Though the record says no, I would say yes.

They are the only in-state school we play every single season (guaranteed). And it seems like there are a lot closer games than blow outs. Sure, OSU is lacking in the win column, but to say it isn't a rivalry in football is a little premature IMO.

8. lexsooner

lexsooner Well-Known Member

Yes, I consider OSU to be a football rival. Irrespective of their dismal record against us, the facts remains they have had some darn good teams lately, including some as good or better than ours, though we usually found ways to beat them. Plus, their recruiting is really strong now. I guess I feel you cannot ignore their success, and the fact we are traditional in-state rivals and play them at the end of the season in a typically crucial game makes them a legitimate football rival.

9. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

awww you changed the subject line... but fun aside, OSU is more of a basketball and baseball rival at this point than a football rival. They play us in football like it's their Super Bowl, but they regularly lose their Super Bowl despite that. Recruits will almost always choose OU, casual fans would rather casually be OU fans than OSU fans, pollsters in the media will rank OU higher than OSU in general, coaching candidates would rather coach at OU than OSU... the list goes on. NOT A RIVAL

10. Mjcpr

Mjcpr SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Yes, they're a rival....second only to Texas. I can't think of anyone else that we be above them. Nebraska maybe that's long gone. We've just dominated the rivalry but it's still a rivalry.

It probably makes some people feel better to bedowngrade them but OU - aggy is a rivalry game. I consider it one at least.

11. stoopified

stoopified SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Bingo, I can not disagree with a single word.Guess we ARE IN THE MINORITY.

12. SoonerInHSV

SoonerInHSV New Member

Over the last ten games of each series, the only conference team with a WORSE record is Iowa State. Kansas has the same number of wins. All time Tulsa has a better winning percentage against us than Oklahoma State and the same record over the last ten games. Maybe Tulsa should be considered a rival?

Do they consider us a football rival? Yes.

Do we consider them a football rival? Not so much.

Overall they are a rival. It's just hard to consider them one in football since the record is so lopsided.

13. oudanny

oudanny New Member

Texas is a rival. Nebraska was a rival. I do not consider osu to be a rival. They are no more a rival from my perspective than Tulsa is their rival from their perspective. A few wins and close games does not a rival make.

14. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I have lived in tx some(10 years or so) and will always feel that it's never good for LosuR to do well. OU has to be/stay on top within the Sooner state, so orange aggy should never be lauded for beating tx. OU is the OK team that should do that.

15. picasso

picasso SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I consider them annoying.

16. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! SoonerFans.com Elite Member

well said.

17. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

For 1 week out of the year, sure. Compare that to 52 weeks/year for the horns.

18. cvsooner

cvsooner Well-Known Member

In my younger days, they were not a rival. In the past 15 years, they have become more of a rival.

But then, everybody who plays the Sooners just about plays like we're their biggest rival. OSewe just plays harder than most.

19. S.PadreIsl.Sooner

S.PadreIsl.Sooner Well-Known Member

FIFY!

20. CowboyMRW

CowboyMRW Wrestling is OSU

Sure would've been nice if we played this past year like it was our Super Bowl.