1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TE?

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by ObiKaTony, Jan 9, 2014.

1. ObiKaTony

ObiKaTony New Member

Do we have a up and coming tight end? One would have to assume with another weapon we can be very dangerous...especially with the read option/pass that knight is obviously capable of doing- see sugar bowl.

2. Widescreen

Widescreen SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Hope McNamara gets it figured out. We need him to because that's a critical piece of our arsenal that's been missing.

3. freshchris05

freshchris05 New Member

I miss when we had Gresh, Joe Jon, and Brody. Power running all day. It'd also be nice to line up heavy and still be able to throw the ball all over.

4. KantoSooner

KantoSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

here's Ironhorses count from the recruiting thread about who we'll have next year. Ought to be able to do something with this pack:

TE: 4 (McNamara, Grant, Ilajana, Meier)

Some sizeable targets in there.

5. Boomer.....

Boomer..... .....Sooner!

Possibly Blake Bell.

6. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

I think McNamara (now that he's injury free) will turn into the next big time TE. Grant is much more of an in-line guy.

Carson Meier is coming in with high expectations, and I'm still not convinced we don't move incoming freshman Mark Andrews to TE. That's where Andrews played in the Army All American game, and he looked really good there.

7. Curly Bill

Curly Bill I'm a shootist

Yeah, I think Andrews goes to TE too. If he'd buy into that position, with his size and athleticism he might be a wealthy young man someday.

8. EatLeadCommie

EatLeadCommie New Member

Ijalana is a JUCO guy. Doubt we would've gone for him if we didn't think he could contribute immediately.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  9. Widescreen

Widescreen SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Wasn't Green a juco guy? All we had him do was block.

10. OkieThunderLion

OkieThunderLion New Member

McNamara needs to add considerable size/strength this off-season.

Grant will be a tackle.

Hopefully the JUCO kid can buy us some time.

Andrews will be eventually be an absolute stud. Kid's frame is way too big to last at WR. He's 230 at age 17. He's 250 by summer of '15. I know he wants to be a WR but $ talks.

11. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

It's safe to say that Grans/Ijalana were both brought in to be in-line TEs. McNamara is a tru hybrid, and I think Andrews will be too. McNamara will be our next 'big' TE at OU. He has to stay healthy, but otherwise, he's go a lot of upside.

12. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

i think the TE spot was kinda stunted by how good Millard was

is Green graduating?

13. CK Sooner

CK Sooner Support Landry Jones!

Would be nice to get an elite JUCO tight end at this point. Hopefully somebody steps up this next season.

14. CK Sooner

CK Sooner Support Landry Jones!

He is. Connor Knight may be able to help a little at the position also.

15. sooneron

sooneron Soonerfans.com Elitist

THis^

16. Breadburner

Breadburner Well-Known Member

Green did a very good job....Underutilized in the passing game.....

17. Turd_Ferguson

Turd_Ferguson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I'd like to see that.

18. oupride

oupride New Member

Thanks for the info, whereas I am hoping for Andrews to succeed.

19. shytnik

shytnik New Member

Andrews is a big kid and has potential there, however he was promised WR because he doesn't want to be a tight end. If he ends up there it will be a few years before he converts to that, just like Brooks was promised a shot at RB even though he should be a DB. Bell is too stubborn to move as well. It will be Green and McNamara next year.

20. Snrinhouston

Snrinhouston Active Member

Though he certainly has the size, I think this would be a long shot…at least at OU. There are too many others with size and EXPERIENCE. This seems similar to when people started speculating the Tebow may switch to TE in the NFL. Golic seemed to echo the thoughts of many insiders when he said that Tebow didn't have a chance to beat out any of the many more experienced TEs.

But stranger things have happened. If I recall…back in the early 80's Donnie Little moved from starting QB to starting WR for the Whorns.