1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How old for a BB gun?

Discussion in 'South Oval' started by BermudaSooner, Dec 17, 2013.

1. BermudaSooner

BermudaSooner Well-Known Member

I've got an 8 year old boy. Too young for a Red Ryder? He'll shoot his eye out? Would be fun for us to shoot at targets in the backyard.

BTW, have you guys seen the bb guns you can buy these days? AK-47 look alikes and 50 caliber look alikes with a stand.

2. achiro

achiro SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I wouldn't just set him lose with it but he's plenty old enough for a BB gun. My 8yo shot his .22 and my .223 AR last weekend with no problems at all. I know lots of people with kids that age that have shot their first deer.

3. olevetonahill

olevetonahill Well-Known Member

Like Achiro said 8 is fine, Just make sure he learns gun safety and a BB gun is fairly harmless way to do that

4. KantoSooner

KantoSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Depends on the kid, but lots are safe at eight.

Just do the 'this is my rifle, this is my gun' thing and 'it's ALWAYS loaded' and 'the muzzle is never pointed at anything you don't want to shoot' and all the rest of it. With the number of mental deficits getting cc's these days, one more person trained in basic firearm safety is a great idea.

5. Breadburner

Breadburner Well-Known Member

I had my first one a 4......

6. SicEmBaylor

SicEmBaylor Baylor Ambassador

I got a classic Red Rider BB Gun when I was 8ish (I think). I then proceeded to shoot out every single light bulb in the house.

To this day, I have not seen that BB gun again. :D

7. sooner_born_1960

sooner_born_1960 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Something just ain't right with that boy.

8. KantoSooner

We're gonna have to have a long tolk with that boy.

9. sooner_born_1960

sooner_born_1960 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

One of these days...

10. diverdog

diverdog New Member

I got one at 5.

11. OULenexaman

OULenexaman New Member

My 1st one was at 7. 1st co2 pellet gun was at 10.

12. SOONER44EVER

SOONER44EVER SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Wife wouldn't let me buy our daughters a bb gun, but she was ok with me getting them each a compound bow. She thinks they're safer. LOL

13. KantoSooner

my mom wouldn't let me buy fireworks.

She didn't catch on to my use of laundry detergent and lawn mower gasoline for a long time, though.

14. jkjsooner

jkjsooner New Member

When I was a kid I shot my BB gun at a metal door. The BB came back and nipped me in the ear. I darn well could have shot my eye out. :)

15. I've bought my 7 year old one for Christmas this year along with a slingshot..

16. Flagstaffsooner

Flagstaffsooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Three years ago?

17. Turd_Ferguson

Turd_Ferguson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

What the crap hell is wrong with you people? You're just teaching the young'ns to kill people! All guns should be bained!!!!

Flagstaffsooner likes this.
  18. Flagstaffsooner

Flagstaffsooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

When a child demonstates maturity and responsibility teach him/her proper use of a firearm.

Join the NRA. **** obama and pelosi off.

19. swardboy

swardboy SoonerFans.com Elite Member

toke ?