1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am so tired of this game of economic chicken

Discussion in 'TrumpFest 2016' started by Jacie, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Jacie

Jacie SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I won't negotiate until your side agrees to . . .

Oh yeah? Well I won't negotiate until your side agrees to . . .

All of the above is the B.S. coming out of D.C. nowadays. We're in trouble when this is the best they can do.

2. FaninAma

FaninAma SoonerFans.com Elite Member

The electorate is divided. We need to quit blaming the people elected by a very divided electorate for doing what we want them to do. If you believe the government should be reopened at all costs then call your Congressman or Senator and tell them to cave on this issue.

If you voted for the Democrats tell them to delay Obamacare for a year and agree to cut more spending in the debt ceiling negotiations.

If you voted for Republicans call your elected officals and tell them to fully fund Obamacare and go along with whatever budget increases the Democrats want.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  3. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

i've yet to feel any impact from the government being "shut down"

what am i missing?

i take that back, i have missed out on looking at a couple of government websites that didn't really matter to me anyway

4. soonercruiser

soonercruiser New Member

#1....It's not a damn game!

#2....the deficit is real!
    I care about my grandchildren's future.
    WE need to turn this boat around while there is still time.

Who will? Harry Reid? Obama? John McLame?

5. Bourbon St Sooner

Bourbon St Sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

SEQUESTRATION is going to kill the economy, the Dow will go to 3,000 and everybody will be in bread lines!!!!

The GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN is going to kill the economy, the Dow will go to 2,000 and everybody will be eating dirt!!!!

DEFAULT - OK this is really, really serious!!!!

6. FaninAma

The nation will never default on its debt payments unless the president chooses not to pay them. It would.have to be a willful decision to withhold paying interest payments on Treasury notes.

7. jkjsooner

jkjsooner New Member

But why did it become a crisis when Obama took office? I mean, sure, the deficit was really high in 2009/2010 because of the economy but it's gone back down to close to what it was when Bush left office.

Maybe you were a deficit hawk going back many years but it just seems odd that so many people starting caring immediately after Obama took office. I understand the 2009 numbers were scary and maybe that prompted some of it but the economists were very clear that those numbers were due to a recession (deficit charts almost mirror recession charts).

8. jkjsooner

jkjsooner New Member

People debate all day about the first and second things. Economists are pretty united about the third if we actually default on our debt. If we pay the debt and don't send out SS payments that will harm the economy but we can recover from it. (I don't think politicians would recover from it though.)

9. cleller

cleller SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Its funny how the news focuses so much on the inept repubs blundering around in this deal (and I agree they look that way); yet never seem to mention the guys that are borrowing money to spend without any clue of when the spending will end, let alone how to pay it back.

10. FaninAma

Wait until Obamacare and its subsidies get heated up. The big insurance companies are going to take the taxpayers to the cleaners before this thing is done.

11. SoonerTerry

SoonerTerry Well-Known Member

I'll give you a bit of my story. I am 43, and do not have much in the way of an advanced education. But what I have done is bust my *** in my career field, and 2 months ago I got my first engineering job. (multi discipline flight simulation engineer) Friday I got a call that the program I am working on got shut down because of the government shutdown. As of right now I am out of a job until they get their crap together. Honestly I do not give a sh!t about obama care, I care about making my house payment and feeding my family. I am incredibly disappointed that these "people" in washington can be so indifferent to the plight of so many people.

Another point of interest is that I am not a government worker, I am a contractor and because of that I will not be getting any back pay when or if the government gets turned back on.

12. reflector

reflector Well-Known Member

I see the shutdown ending soon.