1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If such a tornado hit campus

Discussion in 'South Oval' started by SanJoaquinSooner, May 21, 2013.

1. SanJoaquinSooner

SanJoaquinSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I've wondered if structures like Walker and Adams Towers could withstand a direct hit.

2. jkjsooner

jkjsooner New Member

I was just thinking that exact same thing this morning.

I've never seen a 12 floor building get flattened by a tornado. I would worry about a progressive collapse though

3. SoonerStormchaser

SoonerStormchaser Emma's Daddy!

The answer is "are you kidding?" Those things were built during the stone age, before building codes necessitated such wind engineering.

4. MR2-Sooner86

MR2-Sooner86 Well-Known Member

You need a bomb shelter type building to take a direct hit from a F5.

5. Flagstaffsooner

Flagstaffsooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

With an EF5 event the stadium would collapse.

6. KantoSooner

KantoSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

What are the pluses and minuses of 'berm' construction? I've often thought that I'd like to be able to laugh at hail, high winds, heating and cooling bills, etc.
    I've also got a cool idea for building CCD cameras into the 'dirt side of the house and mounting flat panels on those interior walls so you'd have real time virtual 'windows' through the dirt.

7. Jacie

Jacie SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Those bermed Norman middle schools always seemed like a good idea (and no windows to distract restless kids). They seem kind of dark when you are actually inside one but they must be a safe haven in event of tornado . . .