1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Minimum wage proposal

Discussion in 'TrumpFest 2016' started by BigTip, Feb 17, 2013.

1. BigTip

BigTip Well-Known Member

I don't think Obama is going far enough. I think he should make the minimum wage $30/hour so that everyone will be rich.

2. SoonerorLater

SoonerorLater Well-Known Member

I think your proposal is inadequate. If we we could make it $50.00 everybody would be better off. If businesses say they can't afford it then the Fed can just print up a few more C Notes and it's all cool.

3. Ton Loc

Ton Loc Well-Known Member

He should have told everyone minimum wage is for high school and college kids. You're not supposed to be raising a family on it. But that would be preaching responsibility - and who wants to hear that.

4. Sooner5030

Sooner5030 Well-Known Member

[video=youtube;ca8Z__o52sk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca8Z__o52sk&feature=player_embedded[/video]

5. kevpks

kevpks New Member

I always sought out jobs that paid above minimum wage, even in high school. That $8/hr went pretty far back then. I had a car and all the video games I wanted. Not a lot of dates, but you can't have it all.

I don't recall having any notable skills at 16 other than a friendly demeanor and work ethic. I guess the market was better in 1996. It's a pretty sad situation if an adult with a family has to settle for a minimum wage job.

6. BigTip

BigTip Well-Known Member

There you go using facts and logic to screw up a perfectly good dreamy "wouldn't it be nice" idea. Geez. And who is this Milton Friedman guy anyway? No doubt some unrespected, never published, non-Nobel prize winning, wingnut with an agenda. Geez again.

But non-sarcastically; A bonus to that video was how he points out that the "do gooders" are just tools of special interests.

7. cleller

cleller SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Friedman is from Chicago, he must be right.

Interesting vid. Sure looks like a guy you'd hate to match brains with. Would love to have seen him argue it out with Ted Kennedy.

8. soonercruiser

soonercruiser New Member

That would have been a drinking game!
    :playful:

9. olevetonahill

olevetonahill Well-Known Member

Thats funny as hell, 8 bucks an hour for a KID to work . Hell it was a buck 65 when I was a senior

10. SanJoaquinSooner

SanJoaquinSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

His intellectual nemesis was Paul Samuelson.

Samuelson wrote a weekly column for Newsweek magazine along with Friedman, where they represented opposing sides: Samuelson took the Keynesian perspective, and Friedman represented the Monetarist perspective.

11. SCOUT

SCOUT SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Isn't it sad that a journalistic entity providing opposing perspectives seems nostalgic?

8timechamps likes this.
  12. LakeRat

LakeRat New Member

I worked for my dad and was told it was payment for rent!! You had it made!!

13. olevetonahill

Naw, when I worked for dad it was the same thing, To help the family. The 1.65 was when I worked at the Local service station and such

14. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

I too had parents with no concept of payment for services among their children. I plan to institute it with baby baj whenever she's old enough to start begging for money for stuff.

If the real issue is that people can't afford to live, set minimum standards of living, not minimum standards of wage. In return for being a productive, full-time worker in society, you get a minimum standard of healthcare. You get a minimum standard of public transportation. You get a minimum allowance for food (which cannot be used on alcohol, pre-prepared food like McDonald's and unhealthy sh!t like potato chips).

If you want anything beyond the minimum standard of living, you have to work more hours, have a higher skilled job via more education, etc.

If you are just doling out more money to people via a higher minimum wage, then buy stocks in the fast food, Gamestop and Budweiser and try to ignore the poors whining that they can't afford gas, health insurance and food.

15. olevetonahill

Guess ya had to have been raised in a different time.

[video=youtube;inxtEhb812U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inxtEhb812U[/video]

16. LakeRat

LakeRat New Member

I come from a upper mid class family. (Obama would have called us evil rich) My lil brother was given all the opportunities that one could ever ask. Me and my older bro, are business owners who provide several jobs.

Lil bro, works as lil as possible to pay for rent. But he eats better than I can afford to eat bc of food stamps. He eats steak and I eat raman noodles, campells(Sp?) soup, etc. . .

I am so anti food stamps you would never understand!! Create a soup kitchen and call it a day. Anyone can go. You don't even need apply. We have some studio apartments over here. You need help with rent, here you go. It has a community bathroom and a fireplace to cook off of. You want more in life, work for it!! I am tired of paying people to be lazy bums. My own family included.

cleller likes this.
  17. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Then they could REALLY fix it if they were to ban INFLATION.

18. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Milty was the BEST. Back in the 80's, the US had Friedman and Reagan was president, being the type of leader the country really needed. I thought we were set up well for the future of the country and world. We were blindsided in '92, and the collectivist forces were re-energized.

19. Curly Bill

Curly Bill I'm a shootist

But you're not trying to get elected.

20. soonercruiser

soonercruiser New Member

Come on Vet!
    I can remember as a youth in WV I rejoyced when it hit $1 an hour.