1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did you attend/graduate from college?

Discussion in 'South Oval' started by badger, May 29, 2012.

?

Attend/graduate from college?

Poll closed Jun 1, 2012.
  1. No.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, but did not graduate

8 vote(s)
    11.6%
  3. Yes, bachelor's and/or associate's level degree

35 vote(s)
    50.7%
  4. Yes, masters and/or doctorate degree

26 vote(s)
    37.7%
  1. picasso

picasso SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Sic'Em, who gives a flying **** if a campus has nicer begonias or not? NSU is wretched? You obviously don't know Jack. Or Jill.

2. SicEmBaylor

SicEmBaylor Baylor Ambassador

A lot of people. And unless you went to NSU, I'd be willing to bet I know quite a bit more about NSU than you do. And, not that I should have to explain this to FS, I never said anything about the quality of education at NSU. Whether or not I graduated doesn't have a damned thing to do with what any given campus is like, but FS really gets off on constantly pointing that fact out.

Just so you know, the "13th Grade" remark has nothing to do with NSU's academics. Growing up, we'd often refer to NSU as "13th Grade" because such a high % of our graduates went to NSU due to its proximity. Thus going to college with largely the same group of people you went to school with from K-12 made it "13th grade."

3. Frozen Sooner

Frozen Sooner Soon to be Memphibian

Actually, what I get off on is pointing out what an elitist prick you are about other people's degrees and other people's universities when you don't have a degree. I understand and respect why you didn't finish, but get off other people's nuts.

If you think "13th Grade" isn't a slap at a school's academics, it's not even worth trying to explain it to you.

Turd_Ferguson likes this.
  4. olevetonahill

olevetonahill Well-Known Member

5. Turd_Ferguson

Turd_Ferguson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Ooooo...I'd like to have that dutch oven.

6. SicEmBaylor

You think it isn't a slap because you don't know a f'n thing about NSU, Tahlequah, or the surrounding area. 13th Grade was never a reference about academics -- it was always a reference to how many in each class attended NSU. You don't know this because you likely have never stepped foot anywhere near the area so unless you grew up here how about you STFU and move along. Your ignorance on this issue is palpable. And, once again, I never said anything about anyone's degree but please keep on creating an issue where none existed.

Don't you have an ambulance to chase?

7. Frozen Sooner

Frozen Sooner Soon to be Memphibian

Ooooh, ambulance chaser jokes. Original. Don't you have a wedding to bridesmaid?

8timechamps likes this.
  8. Chuck Bao

Chuck Bao SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I know nothing about this current slap fest and NSU. But, I am going to lodge my own complaint right here and now.

My grandmother went to school at what is now Southeastern. My mom got her bachelors and masters at Southeastern, as did my older sister. I got my bachelors there.

Then both of my nieces turned full traitors by attending ECU. I can't stand it. Orange and tigers? I asked them why they betrayed the family so much and they said that they wanted to get a little further away from their high school class. My family can afford to pay tuition at OU or Baylor, so I don't get it.

I'm biting my tongue because I believe that undergraduate degrees don't matter much, but then get a graduate degree at a much more prestigious school does. Will someone please knock that into their heads?

9. picasso

I'm willing to bet I know more about that school and that town than you'll ever know in your sex deprived brain.
    I happened to study painting there under a whacked out genius who had two degrees from the University of Texas.

10. SicEmBaylor

....which is why I said, "UNLESS YOU WENT TO NSU."

Read, sir. Read.

Once again, NSU is a dump. I'm not saying a thing about the quality of an NSU education, but I find it perplexing that NSU puts so much money into their satellite schools instead of at least putting some lipstick on that pig in the T-Quah. I'm also not sure how it could ever really feel like college since (and I'm making this statistic up) around 40% of your college-bound classmates followed you there.

Look, you can love NSU. That's fine by me -- everyone's taste is different. I grew up going to NSU for 20-some odd years for school events, debate tournaments, visiting friends, and then the later-period SicEmEx years. I just don't like the place.

I also don't want to hear another damned thing about how I shouldn't have any sort of opinion of any school because I didn't finish at Baylor. How often do you ask people if they actually attended OU before they start talking smack about another school, especially UT? Should only graduates of OU have an opinion? How many of those people have even stepped foot on UT's campus? No, the real issue here is that you don't like my opinion so rather than disagree with the merits you dismiss it entirely.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  11. Petro-Sooner

Petro-Sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I started out at NSU for a couple for years in the early 90s. Yeah it wasnt all that. Went back last summer to see a friend and they had improved it quite a bit. Several new buildings. I was impressed.

12. SicEmBaylor

They built the computer center in the mid-late'ish 90s and it's still in really good shape. Good building. They also built a new dorm building which was pretty decent, but SicEmEx and all of my friends lived in the old dorms. Those old dorms felt like sleeping in a Romanian apartment block circa 1975.

I haven't been up there since 2007 or '08 though.

13. 3rdgensooner

3rdgensooner What?

You can't use UT as an analogy for anything other than perhaps Satan University. A completely different set of rules apply.

14. picasso

Perhaps you should take your own advice.
    I've been to UT's campus, it's beautiful. Same as Arky. And NSU's is not that bad.

15. picasso

Andwho said ANYBODY loves NSU? I went there to play basketball, I had no idea where Tahlequah was until I began participating in an art show at Tsa La Gi. And I was happier than ever to leave that place and never to return.
    My point is that campus is not the crapper you claim it to be. I went there in '87 and I found it pleasant. Especially in early spring.

16. 12

12 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Whoa... UT's campus is beautiful? I mean, I dig the whole downtown tailgate thing, but except for some nice shade trees, I would hardly call it "beautiful."

That's like saying Waco is your favorite city.

Well, ok... Not like that at all, but you get the point.

17. Chuck Bao

Chuck Bao SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I don't get it. I got some of my college credits from the higher ed center in Ardmore. What's the fuss about the campus unless it is just pure snobbery? And, I really don't see paying at lot for that unless it is a masters or doctorate.

18. Curly Bill

Curly Bill I'm a shootist

Also depends on career fields. For example: I've never understood people that go to an expensive private college to be a teacher??? And there's lots of them out there! Makes zero sense at all. In fact I'd argue that if you pay to go to a private college to be a teacher you're too stupid to be a teacher!

19. captain_surly

captain_surly New Member

You know what they say about opinions. Comparing Broken Arrow or Muskogee to Tahlequah as college towns is kind of like comparing what I've accomplished in my career to what you're going to accomplish in yours. It's proximity to the Illinois River, Barron Fork and Caney Creek set Tahlequah apart. And in the 70's you had bars like the Squeeze Inn, Scholors and the Keg where I was actually sucessful in picking up, taking home and having sex with real live college girls.

Dump? 13th grade? **** off dip ****.

20. SicEmBaylor

I wasn't comparing Muskogee or BA to Tahlequah as college towns. By that standard, you are correct. I was comparing the the relative quality of the aforementioned campi not the towns in which they reside -- nor was I comparing your successful completion of college and the success of your career with my own or anyone else's.

Having said that, I've been to a small handful of NSU college parties and they sucked. One of my bestfriends from the FTG was the NSU StuGov President (or whatever NSU calls their student government). Not my cup of tea but different strokes for different folks.