1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some Help Needed from Graduation Regalia Experts. :)

Discussion in 'South Oval' started by soonerhubs, Mar 9, 2012.

1. soonerhubs

soonerhubs SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I am graduating with my PhD this May, and I plan on renting a Doctoral Robe/Gown for the commencement. However, I have accepted a faculty position where I will be expected to attend graduations 2 times annually.

My question: Do you who are faculty know of any means to find a gown that's cheaper than the 400 dollars I was quoted here in our Student Union?

TIA.

GDC likes this.
  2. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

$185 on ebay here

3. 3rdgensooner

3rdgensooner What?

Congratulations!

4. Okla-homey

Okla-homey SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Church supply store's sell black robes with the three stripes on the sleeves because some pastors with divinity doctorates wear them in the pulpit. The hood you ought to get from your school, because the colors on the outside are school specific. The hood lining is based on your degree. At least that was the case for me.

5. Lott's Bandana

Lott's Bandana SoonerFans.com Elite Member

There's a former judge in Sapulpa that no longer needs his:

6. Fraggle145

Fraggle145 Drunky Town Limnologist

Congrats man. Definitely have to purchase the hood through the school or affiliate since you want to get the colors. Also need to check if the school has a school specific gown. Some put the school colors on the sleeves etc...

7. Chuck Bao

Chuck Bao SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I also want to add my congrats, Dr. Hubs.

soonerhubs likes this.
  8. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

i'd congradulate you, but i know the school colors you are going to be dealing with ;)

9. Chuck Bao

OH NO! Are we talking about Halloween colors? Okay, the robes may be used 3 times each year, but don't scare the kids.

10. soonerhubs

Thanks everyone! I'll call that judge. ;) Yes it's Halloween colors, but nothing but love for you guys! :) I'm so excited to be an assistant professor at my Alma mater.

11. soonerhubs

Thanks badj! You rock!

12. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

Wait, what? A penis pump?! Whaa...

Oh, and congrats Hub! Or is it Dr. Hub now?

13. GDC

GDC New Member

Congratulations!

soonerhubs likes this.
  14. soonerhubs

Thanks GDC. I'll never forget you helping me with the GRE preparations.

15. Chuck Bao

I love that you are celebrating your achievement with us. My only suggestion is to have that robe and the sheepskin parchment dry cleaned at least a couple of times before hanging it. j/k ;)

16. Frozen Sooner

Frozen Sooner Soon to be Memphibian

Gah. And I thought the rentals were overpriced . . . .

85 flippin' dollars to rent my crap.

17. soonerhubs

Hehe! Will do!

18. SanJoaquinSooner

SanJoaquinSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Mucho dinero for any poor grad student. But if you are staying in academia, then springing for a high quality cap and gown is
    wise. Or if you have parents or sugar momma/daddy who might buy you a graduation gift, it's a good suggestion.

Ph.D. gowns have large amounts of velvet and look pretty cool. $400 may sound like a lot, but it's much cheaper than a wedding gown and you'll probably wear much more often.... over the course of your career, more often than any suit you have.

19. GDC

GDC New Member

You're very welcome. My main advice would be after May take a break from being a student for a while. I made the mistake of going right into a certification program after I graduated. I'm starting to feel like I will be in school the rest of my life.

20. Okla-homey

Okla-homey SoonerFans.com Elite Member

At Tulsa, your robe and hood was factored into a "graduation fee." Which, BTW, I unsuccessfully tried to avoid because I didn't go to graduation, which was three hours of my life I would never have gotten back. Besides, graduations aren't for the graduates, they are for the graduates' moms and dads. I have the robe and hood in the plastic bag in which it was issued to me somewhere.