1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recruiting Busts over the past few years.....

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Soonermagik, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Soonermagik

Soonermagik New Member

Brandon Williams
    Jermie Calhoun
    Chijioke Onyenegecha
    Mo Dampeer
    Tony Cade
    Marcus Trice
    Brent Rawls
    Josh Jarboe
    Rhett (Big Red) Bomar
    Chris (Smoke) Patterson
    Justin McCay

Just a few guys that came to mind. Feel free to add any others. So, before we get too hyped up in these recruiting rankings.. many of these new guys will sadly never pan out. Heck, the Whorns always have top recruiting classes, but that rarely has translated to great teams.

2. oumartin

oumartin New Member

Adrian Peterson= One good year.

3. En_Fuego

En_Fuego New Member

=where we are today

4. rekamrettuB

rekamrettuB New Member

I wouldn't call Chijoke a "bust". Maybe not live up to the hype but he did start for a year+ and had some big plays in the win at Nebraska in '05.

I was really looking forward to Cade and Calhoun, after the letter he wrote and had the recruits sign prior to signing day. That was Calhoun right?

5. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Who is hyping this class outside of the WR's? And if you don't think we'll have at least a great WR or two, you're nuts.

6. cccasooner2

cccasooner2 New Member

I never consider recruits that contributed on the field a bust. What peeved me were schollies that never played, especially JCs that were brought in to fill an immediate need and never saw the field.

BTW, I didn't remember AA Quinton Carter was only a two-star safety.

7. PLaw

PLaw Well-Known Member

I think that was Justin Johnson, who also helped recruit Calhoun.

Both are gone; therefore, a recruiting bust.

Boomer

8. oumartin

oumartin New Member

Marcus Dupree

OUDoc likes this.
  9. EatLeadCommie

EatLeadCommie New Member

I don't think I'd consider Williams a bust. He saw the field as a true freshman and made some plays. The kid will show his worth at aTm in a few years.

Smoke never attended OU so I don't think I'd classify him as a bust either. Did he ever end up doing anything at KSU?

Bomar started as a true freshman and ended up getting some pro snaps in spite of playing out the rest of his career with a I-AA team. Not a bust. More like a black mark on OU's history due to the Big Red fiasco.

Chijoke started both years he was here. He wasn't all he was hyped up to be, but he was definitely one of the better corners of the Stoops era.

10. PSK2080

PSK2080 New Member

I don't think we ever really saw Chijioke 100% healthy. Didn't he tear a hamstring at juco and have trouble recovering afterward?

11. PSK2080

PSK2080 New Member

Jarboe and Patterson never suited up at OU. I don't think they can be classified as busts.

8timechamps likes this.
  12. Sooner Cal

Sooner Cal New Member

Maybe they were over-rated rather than under-performed. Fans really don't know much about each potential recruit. We rely on gurus to inform us. What do they really know? They make mistakes as do the coaches who recruit them. Fans have expectations. Often they aren't met. Who is wrong, the player or the fans. I suspect it more the fans who want to believe that the player is as good as advertised.

8timechamps and LRoss like this.
  13. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

Depends what your definition of "bust" is. If it's just a guy that came to OU and didn't start/play much, that's a completely different argument than guys that came to OU and left for some reason and pan out somewhere else.

14. OkieThunderLion

OkieThunderLion New Member

Three 1,000-yard years. ?

15. OkieThunderLion

16. OkieThunderLion

Best Recruiting Schools

Rivals and Scout Total Team Rankings ('02-'11)
    1 - USC
    2 - LSU
    3 - Texas
    4 - Georgia
    5 - Oklahoma
    6 - Florida
    7 - Florida St
    8 - Michigan
    9 - Ohio St
    10 - Tennessee
    11 - Auburn
    12 - Miami
    13 - Alabama
    14 - Notre Dame
    15 - So Carolina

17. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

A lot of good teams in there. Maybe getting talented players does help.

18. starclassic tama

starclassic tama New Member

agree with this except for bomar was a redshirt freshman.

19. picasso

picasso SoonerFans.com Elite Member

He never was healthy here. The pros and cons of Schmidt.

20. picasso

picasso SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Marty thinks AD was a bust? I'm still thankful for the ignore button.

BillyBall likes this.