1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coaching Changes

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by TopDawg, Nov 7, 2011.

1. TopDawg

TopDawg SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I think I have all of the updates now.

Since Sumlin is good as gone...probably to A&M...word is that Houston might be interested in OSU's Joe DeForrest.

2. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

So is anyone besides Drunk Howie retiring? Must be a hard job to let go. Too much $$$$

3. badger

I spoke too soon.

Hawaii's coach retired.

Link

4. TopDawg

And we have 21 so far this year.

With the virtual certainty of some more opening up. You can probably count on Houston opening up and then you've got June Jones, Larry Fedora, Dan Mullen and Calhoun (Air Force) being mentioned as candidates as well.

5. OULenexaman

OULenexaman New Member

been dead quiet out here.....said they would move swiftly....my guess is Leach threw a monkey wrench in those plans.

6. kevpks

kevpks New Member

On the Sports Urinal this morning they said that Monken interviewed at Illinois.

7. badger

It's not as hopeless as UCLA's situation. Remember how every coach was turning down Nebrasky after they got rid of Frank Solich? That sounds like what's happening at UCLA. The Boise guy, the Sumlin guy, the everyone. They're all declining to even interview, reportedly!

8. badger

Brent V is being considered if you believe the Internet.

I do think that Leach was who their athletic director was hoping for, but since Leach has been screwed around with in the past, both when he was at Tech and after, I don't blame him for jumping on Wazzu. Remember how disappointed he sounded when Maryland went with someone else? I think they probably led him on a little bit too much :(

9. OULenexaman

OULenexaman New Member

From the KC Star if you believe them......

When Mike Leach agreed to a deal with Washington State last Wednesday that would pay him $2.2 million a year, it was natural to wonder whether KU had been outbid for Leach, who had emerged as a top candidate.

The sources said Leach chose Washington State because he did not want to coach in the Big 12 again. Leach has a pending lawsuit against league member Texas Tech for breach of contract.

“The only reason he was talking to KU was Sheahon,” one source said, referring to the longstanding relationship between Zenger and Leach.

Zenger has spent the last five days conducing a national search. He does not discuss candidates publicly, and there has been little buzz out of Lawrence or the rest of the country about his current thinking.

After Southern Mississippi beat Houston 49-28 in the Conference USA championship game Saturday, Southern Miss coach Larry Fedora became a hot name in several searches, including Texas A&M and North Carolina.

Fedora was born in College Station and was the head coach at Garland (Texas) High before rising up the college ranks. For those reasons, he makes sense for the Aggies. But, if Texas A&M goes in a different direction, Fedora would appear to be very attractive to the Jayhawks, who must be active in Texas to have success in recruiting.

Other names that make sense for Kansas are Wyoming coach Dave Christensen, Missouri’s offensive coordinator for 12 seasons, and Florida State defensive coordinator Mark Stoops, who coached with Zenger at Wyoming.

Northern Illinois coach Dave Doeren, a Kansas City native who coached at KU before becoming the defensive coordinator at Wisconsin, has expressed interest in the job, according to the sources.

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2011/12/05/3303730/ku-will-pay-market-value-for-next.html#ixzz1fmO1nPL7

10. badger

How bout this for a name for Kansas: Dennis Franchione.

Before they hired Mangino, Franchione was stringing KU along leveraging other offers and basically holding out hope that a better place would take him (which happened). KU was up in arms and were like "EFF IT, let's hire Mangino since he actually wants to be here!"

Fran Face might have been seen as a failure at Texas A&M, but that's only because they hate every coach not named Bear Bryant down there. He could possibly get KU on the right track again and has ties to the Texas area for recruiting and stuff.

Would KU want to put up with him again? Well, they'd probably get him for a lot cheaper this time around. No bidding wars, methinks.

Entire article here.

11. ouwasp

ouwasp New Member

Thanks for the replies......like any Sooner, I don't care about KU in any real sense, but I am curious as to who would take that job...I hope it's not someone I like, because I would just as soon see them struggle since they got rid of Mighty Mark.

12. Soonerfan88

Soonerfan88 Well-Known Member

I wonder if the folks who keep mentioning Mike or Mark Stoops for Big 12 jobs actually pay attention. It is very well known the Stoops brothers HATE coaching against each other so why would they agree to do it every year in the same conference?

13. northspeter

northspeter New Member

larry fedora is gonna be the next head coach at north carolina... via many twitter updates just recently...

14. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

So, we're at 21 (ties last year). Any chance we break 25 this season?

15. bluedogok

bluedogok SoonerFans.com Elite Member

On 102.3 The Ticket here in Denver they had a report tonight where Gary Barnett was told he was not a candidate for the Colorado State job. He was evidently told they wanted a "young gun" type of coach, so someone who is cheaper than someone of Barnett's experience. There was also much discussion on how many CSU alumni would have a hard time hiring a "CU Guy" as their head coach.

16. Sooner in Tampa

Sooner in Tampa SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Heres another name for KU: Phillip Fulmer

17. Sooner in Tampa

Sooner in Tampa SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Some news about Penn State:

18. TopDawg

Definitely a chance with all of the current head coaches that are being seriously considered (Fedora at UNC, Sumlin everywhere, Jones at ASU, etc.). It would be surprising to see any more firings or retirings at this point, but we've been surprised like that before. If the NFL comes knocking, we could maybe see one or two more come from that.

19. badger

Didn't Meat Chicken fire Rich Rod after their bowl? I don't recall.

20. Jacie

Jacie SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Absolutely, unless every available position is filled by an unemployed coach . . .