1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lets say there is a rematch

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by lasooner123, Nov 6, 2011.

1. lasooner123

lasooner123 New Member

then LSU is being punished for winning the game at bama. They now have to play one more game the sec championship that alabama wouldnt have to play. one less game to lose for bama.
    punish a team for winning? doesnt seem fair

2. jumperstop

jumperstop New Member

Agree with this. I forget where I saw it, but Doug Gottlieb was basically saying this.

3. landrun

landrun Well-Known Member

On the other hand, if the cards fall right and LSU in the only undefeated team, putting any other one loss team in the game over Bama will also be considered unfair. That's why the voters will wait until the final week to decide who makes it to the finally game.

4. Soonerus

Soonerus SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I literally will not watch a rematch...

5. SoonernAR

SoonernAR New Member

regardless how this shakes out, someone is gonna get left out or screwed. A 4 team playoff at least is the only answer.

6. nighttrain12

nighttrain12 Well-Known Member

Playoffs? What other NCAA sport has playoffs? Oh wait, what other collegiate football organization has playoffs? Oh wait, never mind.

7. soonercastor

soonercastor New Member

The funny thing with a rematch is that it could create the following

LSU 13-1 (loss in MNC on neutral field Vs Bama)

Bama 12-1 (loss at home against LSU and beat LSU in the MNC.

Who do you rank higher? LSU would have a much more impressive resume that's for sure.

8. Tear Down This Wall

Tear Down This Wall Well-Known Member

The problem with your "punished" theory is that Les Miles said on live television last night that he'd be "honored" to play Alabama again in the national title game.

Despite what many of you think, Les Miles isn't stupid:
    (1) He got out of Oklahoma State when he got the offer to go to greener pastures
    (2) He's turned down the overrated Michigan (his alma mater) job not just once, but twice
    (3) He turned down the Michigan job because he's smart enough to understand demographics - the speed is in the South, not the Rust Belt.
    (4) He knows an LSU/Bama rematch is recruiting gold. As if the SEC isn't a big enough sell for top recruits these days, you'd have two schools from one conference in the championship game. Any coach in any conference would love to be out on the recruiting trail with that nugget.

9. SoonerMom2

SoonerMom2 New Member

If LSU/AL play in the National Championship game, then I am not watching either. That was one of the most boring games with some of the worst offenses I have seen in a long time. I kept waiting for it to get better but it never did. AL couldn't even gain yardage in overtime. No thank you. AL is overrated IMHO!

10. LASooner

LASooner Active Member

I'd rather watch LSU/Boise State than a rematch, I won't even watch if there is a rematch, because the first one was boring enough.

11. LASooner

LASooner Active Member

LSU losing in New Orleans is a neutral field?

12. Iam4OUru

Iam4OUru New Member

LOL...I saw that, too. Kinda like Boise playing UGA in the first game this year...at a "neutral" site...the Georgia Dome.

LSU will lose to Ar-Kansas the day after Thanksgiving. Think there's no shot?

13. Blue

Blue SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Bama and Lsu might be the two best teams and they might not. We've seen that on any given day one team can beat another. Example FSU/OU in 2000, Ohio St Miami 2001. In my opinion Bama had their shot. At home. Somebody else should get a shot. As long as we don't have a playoff we have to treat that game yesterday as a semifinal. Otherwise all the talk of the regular season meaning something is just talk.

TopDawg likes this.
  14. soonercastor

soonercastor New Member

Theoretically, obviously they have a slight home advantage but it would be nothing like what Alabama had in Tuscaloosa. Thanks for missing the point of the post.

15. King Crimson

King Crimson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

i think the argument for a "rematch" is enhanced by the road team losing in OT, not winning. LSU went into Tuscaloosa and beat Bama at Bryant-Denny so i think you can make a case for LSU getting free of Bama for the BCS title.

but, i doubt the ESPN SEC apparatchiks will see it that way in a month.

16. NormanPride

NormanPride SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I just don't get why Bama not getting a shot at a rematch if there are no other unbeatens is unfair. They got their shot at home and lost. They don't deserve another no matter how many other teams lose ahead of them.

17. hornswaggled

hornswaggled New Member

"We still can go to the national championship," said Bama wide receiver Marquis Maze. "We're still a national championship team. I feel like we're still the best team in the country. Anything can happen."
    http://espn.go.com/college-football...ed-see-sequel-lsu-tigers-alabama-crimson-tide

Maze's belief that AL is the best team is echoed in the article by several AL players. Regardless of the scoreboard there are a lot of other CFB fans and pundits that think this one loss should be discounted and AL is good enough to go to the BCSCG.

Well, let's bring this fuzzy logic to Oklahoma. I doubt anyone honestly believes TTU is a better football team than OU. Nor is it likely that anyone honestly believes any other team that OU beat is better than the Sooners. So, logically the general concensus would be that OU is better than any team they have played. Therefore, doesn't it follow that the Sooners are just as worthy to be in the CCG as AL? If not, then how is it different for Alabama?

18. King Crimson

King Crimson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

what i think and better said than in my post above.

19. sooner518

sooner518 New Member

The Superdome is not a neutral field if LSU is playing.

and I wouldnt watch either. Nor will I watch ESPN in the week leading up to the game.

20. meoveryouxinfinity

meoveryouxinfinity New Member

If it happens, it happens...but I doubt it happens. Rewind back to 06. Everyone thought Michigan-Ohio State should have been a rematch, and in that game, the home team won (Ohio State). Literally THE WEEK before the FINAL BCS poll came out, voters changed their minds. The consensus was NO REMATCH. I guess we shall see....

I also wouldn't be shocked to see one of these teams drop a game between now and then. The energy spent in that game was probably triple the OU-FSU game.